Dealing with Noise Complaining Neighbors

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap Trills, Jan 20, 2020.

How would you handle the knocking on the wall during your practice at 2pm?

1. Keep playing and let them complain to the landlord

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Stop playing or turn it down to minimum levels

66 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Knock on their door and talk about it

63 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. Turn up the volume so you can't hear the knocking

16 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. Other, will post the best solution on the thread

18 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

welp... the best solution is to get an axe fx so you can play with headphones... all other solutions lead to high risk.

when a guitar player tells me they were playing quiet... I think "You were playing loud". no shame - own it.

if yer a dick like me, I get in front of it, call the landlord and complain that someone is banging on the walls constantly, purposely making no mention of me and my guitar. that said... he knows where you live.

the nice guy thing to do is to go over and say - "hey I'm sorry for bothering you. I don't want to cause issues. Is there a time-of-day / day-of-week when I can practice without bothering you?" I'm guessing this ends with him being an ass hat and you being back to annoyed. After all he banged on walls instead of visiting you and trying to reason.

I'd ask the landlord if there is another apt # you can move to in the sm building. keep in mind if you do that and still have issues - they are clearly going to see you as the problem (you are, but now they'll see it).

I lived in a flat ages ago. neighbor next door came over and went crazy. cursing and random **** about how they are pillars of the community, a professor, bla bla. I called the police saying "of course I'm going to take steps to be quiet but I felt the need to get this documented because there was some serious mental instability there and I'm afraid for my safety". cops went over there. don't know what they said but just the image of cops at your door is something to be avoided, esp for pillars of the community. I put up soundproofing, played a bit softer, and moved out 9 months later. Never had another prob tho.

stinkey and Cheap Trills like this.
  2. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

In the early 90’s I lived in an apartment in Long Beach CA. I had a neighbor who lived above me that paced around all night long, drove me nuts. I spoke to the resident manager and he told me not to be concerned the cat upstairs has some issues. I moved to Alabama and I have never lived in a apartment since. When I lived in Alabama I lived on ten acres in the old family home I inherited. I cranked to volume 11. Now that I have retired and moved to the mountains of East Tennessee I bought a home in a neighborhood. I play with the volume at the 9:00 position. Nobody has complained.

3. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Immedeatly after the knocking on the wall stops, have a sample ready to be played.loud. :twisted::lol:

Cheap Trills likes this.
  4. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I just picked up a Strymon Iridium for silent practicing and recording. I have a four and a five watt amp, and both are too loud to really play in the apartment turned up to where I want them. Even with an attenuator.

So yeah, something with headphones.

Cheers,
    Geoff

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I vote for civility.
    I rehearse with lots of people, because I play with lots of people.
    I can’t remember the last time I was rehearsing at 2AM.
    Perhaps never, in 47 years of rehearsing and gigging.
    I had a neighbor complain to my apartment manager for my playing chord melody stuff on an (unplugged) nylon string guitar.
    I was on my front porch.
    I quit playing, and after living there 10 years, I moved.
    My point is, it is not a “right” to inflict your music on everyone in your vicinity.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

People are entitled to what is known as 'quiet enjoyment'. That is, to not be disturbed by other's noise. Most people would be surprised this means not able to hear you barely at all.

Of course, most people put up with some noise, as long as it's not grating. You put up with clinks of glass and murmur of conversation when neighbours have a dinner party or babies crying as part of being in an urban environment.

A JTM45 is a performance amp, not a appartment amp. My friend in a bar band with bass and drums plays his on '2' - not two o'clock Even a JTM1 might be too much for that appartment on a quiet afternoon.

It's likely your neighbour has been irritated by the noise for some time. Wall cavities, roof cavities, floors, walls - all can transmit your 'quiet practice' plus vibration straight into their living area. Even if all they want to do is enjoy peace and quiet it's not unreasonable to expect it. Maybe they or a family member is stressed or ill.

The odds are if one person complains there's half a dozen more that are annoyed.

It's actually not up to them to get earplugs, or wear noise cancelling earphones, or learn to live with it. It's up to you not to annoy them.

7. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

People are "entitled" to whatever the lease agreement says, nothing more, nothing less. They are most likely not entitled to set their own quiet hours that are out of sync with the average tenant. Even people who live in single family homes don't get to set noise levels or quiet hours outside of what the local ordinances are. We get up early and go to bed early, we don't get to tell the neighbors when they can party, leaf blow or shoot off fireworks, we just accept that not everyone gets up at 5 a.m. and goes to bed at 8:30 p.m..

8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sounds like a hell of a party!

9. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

years ago I realized what was up ... apartment living o_O sound?
    I came to the realization that the source of the sounds that I work with had to be generated with gear that had line output levels. That is why I dig faux amps / plugins so much .
    "I hate the real world!" said the spoiled rotten inner teenager. I want thing to be the way that I want them ....
    then my inner adult feed my inner juvenile delinquent a nice meal a hot shower and a good nights sleep.
    ( "what are you rebelling against Johnny?" " Marlon Brando says "wadda yah got." )

The Wild One 1953

10. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Turn it down so that the neighbors can't hear you ... at all.

They have a right to the quiet enjoyment of the space that they are paying for...

And you do not have a right to intrude upon that in the slightest.

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

all things are possible in the land of make believe! my neighbors a dick and the box big enough of course I would salvage the 100 watt jensen and the sennhieser plus the beyer dynamic first!

12. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

That is not at all correct. That is not what “quiet enjoyment” means.

Quiet enjoyment is essentially a right of tenants vis a vis their landlords or other authorities. It basically means landlords have to leave tenants alone and not unduly make trouble for the tenants. It is not specific to noise issues.

Rights to quiet vis a vis neighbors is a matter of statutory law under local noise ordinances.

Neighbors don’t have a right of quiet other than what is set forth in noise ordinances. As a legal matter.

My back neighbors, the Marines, shoot guns every morning at 7am.

Another neighbor is running his noisy leaf blower and lawn mower. I can hear them. Must they stop?

Kids across the street want to practice their trumpet. Is he allowed to do it someone can hear him?

of course we can practice guitar, even if our neighbors can hear us. The only issues are time and volume. No one had a right to insist everyone else be completely silent. So we have noise ordinances.

Years ago I had to listen to the neighbors kid play loud rap music all the time during the day. I hated it, but said nothing as he is entitled to enjoy his life too, just as I am now in practicing guitar or just playing loud music.

Beyond law, it is all a matter of kindness and courtesy, but not based on “rights.”

13. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

With, or against whom the injured neighbors make their claim...vis-a-vis the noise coming from the inconsiderate person with the noise machine. They, in effect, instruct the landlord to make it stop.

Said landlord then boots inconsiderate person to the curb with a 24 hour eviction notice for violating the peaceful enjoyment that the other tenants are entitled to.

Problem solved.

The other tenants are not required to negotiate with someone who wants to disturb them. Nor should they be.

howardlo likes this.
  14. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

They know how to get down around here. I don't say anything and no one says anything to when I run my air compressor at 7 a.m., we all seemed to have developed a laissez faire policy with each other, because we all want to do our thing when we want to do it. The trouble always starts when one party thinks they are "entitled" to anything, then the complaints and retaliations start, so we live and let live.

15. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

My 400PS rig disagrees with this. Unless its against noise ordinances, DO IT.

Bones likes this.
  16. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

I have the opposite situation. I have neighbors who talk loudly all day right outside my window - their kids are noisy and the parents yell at the kids in the ugliest voice. They don't speak English (if they do, they don't let on) and I've tried to talk to them nicely and they ignore me. For the first year or two I just kept my windows closed and tried to ignore it - and I did all my music practicing quietly and with my windows closed.

This past year I finally decided I've had enough and when they are screaming/yelling outside my window nowadays, I open my window and practice the most annoying guitar riffs I can think of at loud enough levels that they go back inside their house and shut their doors and windows. This behavior is 100% contrary to everything I was taught and believe (I was raised to treat others as you'd like to be treated) but after trying the golden rule approach without any success, I've found that being annoying right back at them seems to be giving them the hint and getting them to be less annoying to me. o_O

Euphonica likes this.
  17. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

There's a time and a place. Both are fixable. You don't have inherent noise producing rights. That's the plight of a renter without a proper sound booth.

18. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

You gave it a fair shot. Now if they complain, you can say, "Yes, it's annoying, isn't it?"

stinkey and AndyPanda like this.
  19. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Actually it is at all correct.

Straight from the horse's mouth. The New York Landlord guide, list of tenant's entitlements.

1. Peace & Quiet: Including the freedom from unreasonable and recurring disturbances from the landlord and/or other neighbors;
    Now, if you moved in or near a marine base they were there first. You could take them to court, but the odds are 7am gunfire could be held by a court to be what you signed up for by choosing to live there.

Most jurisdictions would hold that if you moved in over a bar, you can't really complain about noise during licenced hours and the bar's liability for the behaviour of patrons leaving the premises on the other hand is limited.

Everything is based on reason and live and let live to some degree. Living in an enclosed space has different onuses to a standalone property and residential law is different according to zoning.

King Creole, Milspec and rolandson like this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I remember doing an all-nighter at Uni, returning to my crappy apartment the next morning, and flopping into bed, only to be woken up minutes later (so it seemed) by JACKHAMMERING! They were tearing up the sidewalk in front of the building. Amazingly, I went right back to sleep.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.