Dealing with Noise Complaining Neighbors

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap Trills, Jan 20, 2020.

How would you handle the knocking on the wall during your practice at 2pm?

1. Keep playing and let them complain to the landlord

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Stop playing or turn it down to minimum levels

66 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Knock on their door and talk about it

63 vote(s)
    37.3%
  4. Turn up the volume so you can't hear the knocking

16 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. Other, will post the best solution on the thread

18 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Holic

Yamaha thr10

Funny you post this. I just brought my Princeton home from the studio, hoping to use it as my home practice amp. Nope. I knew right away, on 2, it's way too loud. On 1, the Yamaha crushes it.

But think about your neighbors man. Maybe they are taking a nap, or watching a movie, or have a baby sleeping etc. I'm a firm believer in "quiet enjoyment" property rights.

If I'm ever disturbing someone, it takes the joy out of it for me

faulp, Larry F, Hiker and 12 others like this.
  2. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I live in a house and have plenty of yard and space in the neighborhood.

And a princeton in the dining room was too loud in that setting for me to ever get up over 2 or 3 on the dial. I don't have that amp anymore.

I've worked nights and slept days. I've had sleeping babies. I've had noisy neighbors, too.

Being forced to listen to someone's "music" (or barking dog or loud go carts, etc) just because we are neighbors is not cool. I won't force it on my neighbors, I won't take it from them.

3. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

Have a talk with your neighbor. Barring a newborn or graveyard shifter next door though, I'd keep jamming.

Cheap Trills and Chunkocaster like this.
  4. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Oy vey! :rolleyes:

Cheap Trills likes this.
  5. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Put me down for “try to work it out.” There may be a time that you can agree on when the neighbour is never home, and use headphones the other times.

6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

LOL... 2x12" 30W amp with no master volume and the volume is "around 2 o'clock" is not apartment appropriate at all. Maybe some people thought you said the volume was on "2"? Which one did you mean?

You're likely just way too loud. Buy a Yamaha THR or buy yourself a house.

I play/rehearse with some folks in a warehouse, I think you might be too loud there! No neighbors to complain but the other players probably would. Even in a rehearsal space with other players you still have to work this stuff out. Until there's a drummer in the room stuff doesn't need to be that loud.

Canner, Rev Rhythm, teletail and 6 others like this.
  7. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

If you turn your amp up enough, you won't hear any knocking. Simple.

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would go outside and beat on them if my neighbours were knocking on my wall. I keep the volume reasonable and don't play for more than a couple hours. I also live in a free standing house with 4 or 5 meters either side of me before the next house.

I lived in a apartment for a few years and it sucked, you could hear everything the next door neighbour was doing. If you want to play at a decent volume I would look at moving in to something other than an apartment. A large acreage or island would be ideal.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  9. Mikecito

Mikecito Tele-Meister

I remember the apartment days. I wish headphones were mandatory for ALL listening. Sorry, no sympathy here . We are in the golden age of amp modeling. No reason to punish your neighbor.

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Also if you are going to work with them some things to try:

- Get something like an Auralex Gramma platform to isolate the amp from the floor. I did this with a 12" Sub and it helped quite a bit.
    - Maybe turn down the bass
    - Get the amp off the floor and get it pointed right at your ears. If it's on the floor pointed at your knees you're turning the volume up a heck of a lot louder and making it a lot easier for the neighbors to hear.

There are always certain frequencies that are way more responsible for annoying people than others.

MilwMark likes this.
  11. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I have a Marshall Origin 20H with a 1x12 cab - it's in no way possible to play this in my apartment (work)... I put it to 2/10 on the volume once, and nearly blew out the windows. Back at home (in the countryside), I'm able to crank it, but even then I've had neighbors 1km away telling me that they could hear us jamming.

I now use a 'Orange Micro Terror' with headphone if I play anything in the flat as any amplified sound is just too much.

I'd say that 30W amp through a 2x12 will never be a good fit for an apartment.

Cheap Trills and MilwMark like this.
  12. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Holic

Sometimes we guitar players can be the complainant. While I was attending UT Arlington, I took a semester off, and was playing out 5-6 nights per week, getting home around 2 am, and to sleep about 3. my next-door neighbor, with whom I shared a common, rather thin wall, was a music major with a concentrate in trombone. He liked to practice at 5am in his bedroom, adjacent to mine. Asking him to practice in the evening while I was working fell on deaf ears, as did knocking on the wall, so I did what any self respecting guitarist would do: I brought my Twin Reverb home, set it up an inch away from our common wall, plugged in my 335, cranked everything up to 10, and KERAANG! I hit an "E" chord, turned everything off and went to bed. I never heard another 'bone practice before 8:30 am! Sometimes I love being a guitarist!:D

Euphonica, faulp, Hiker and 4 others like this.
  13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

If they live alone.. buy them a pair of noise cancelling headphones, put a bow on them and tell them to enjoy them!

Cheap Trills likes this.
  14. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Nobody should have to listen to someone else’s noise. It does not matter what time of day or night it is. A persons noise should be contained in their own living environment.

I live in a big house now with a lot of family. When others are home I practice with my headphones or my amp on a very low volume setting. They all like music but who wants to listen to any musician practice.

stevemc, teletail, Hatfield92 and 7 others like this.
  15. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Ugh! The apartment days. I disliked those times, but I had to live somewhere. I can empathize with your situation.

An acoustic guitar might be another option.

Apparently your neighbor is not confrontational or he/she would be banging on your door, and not your wall. Be the better person, and go knock on the neighbor’s door. Leave any attitudes at home. Try to be as sweet as you can be. Maybe even offer an apology for bothering them. Then talk it out and maybe you can come to some kind of an agreement about when the best times are to play.

16. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

this worked!

P1011343.JPG P1011344.JPG P1011346.JPG P1011350.JPG

17. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

My wife is the president of our building's co-op board. The next step after knocking on the wall is usually notifying the building's management or the police. You probably don't want either of those.

Sometimes the neighbor will confront you directly if knocking on the wall/floor/ceiling doesn't work. The result can be good, bad, or very bad for you.

Practice quietly or take your chances.

18. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I love guitars, I love music, but I don't want to be forced to listen to yours.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

20. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Question for the OP. Do you have a room, even a bathroom, with no adjoining neighbor walls, just an outside wall maybe? If yes, try practicing in that space.

stevemc and Cheap Trills like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.