dealing with funky smelling microphones

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by DaveG, Nov 29, 2010.

1. DaveG

DaveG Tele-Meister

not funky in a good way...

In our band we each have our "usual" microphone that we always sing into. The other day at rehearsal I had to use the r git. player's mic. It was really nasty! I mean, stinky and gross. I could barely approach it for the bad breath spit stank on it!

How can this be eliminated without messing up the electronics? alchohol wipes? baby wipes? Does it have to be disassembled? New pop screen?

What do you guys do? What do the pros do? I figure there's no way Beyonce or Steven Tyler would put up with that...:eek:

2. Ramblin Ray

Ramblin Ray Tele-Afflicted

If it's a ball type , like a Shure 58, just unscrew the ball and clean it. Bottom line is, get your own mic and avoid letting people with beer and cigarette breath use it. And get a dedicated mic for those "sit-ins" on the gig.

3. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

In most mikes, there's some form of foam between the outer ball and the element. Wash it out with mild soap soap and water, let it dry and reintstall.

4. TJNY

TJNY Friend of Leo's

You could put a wind sponge on a mic to avoid the direct contact from other guest singers!

5. vinman

vinman Tele-Meister

Febreze? :lol:

6. gogirlguitars

gogirlguitars Tele-Holic

We used to spray them in Australia with Glen 20 - it kills germs !

There must be an equivalent here in the USA.

About 12 inches away and spray lightly all around. You can buy antiseptic wipes, those little hands wipe scan help too.

Un-screwing and cleaning the foam is best, but the two remedies above work in a pinch

Attached Files:

7. Dave Hopping

Dave Hopping Friend of Leo's

Take the ball end off and run it thru the dishwasher.

8. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

I'm old school so do it by hand but yes, take the whole ball end off, leave the foam in there or take it out - don't matter much - wash just as you do your dishes, rinse well and leave to dry.

9. Dave Hopping

Dave Hopping Friend of Leo's

About the dishwasher.... one's significant other may possibly take the position that the dishwasher is reserved for cooking and eating utensils,and frown a mighty frown when practical folk like us run mic ball ends and VW Beetle pedal clusters thru the dishwasher-even without dishes,et cetera present.A little covert discretion might be called for in situations like that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.