Deal killers - major or not so major reasons you won't buy a particular guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Dismalhead, Mar 14, 2014.

Floyd Rose/Kahler locking nut tremolos - Love'm or Hate'm

1. Pain in the rear

63 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. I'm a twang bar king!

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

I like my Clapton mid-boost, so I will take your guitars with batteries, a locking nut is fine once set-up, but not something I go out of my way to look for. I LOVE a nice figured piece of wood, the one I am working on at the moment I spent an hour in the Owl lumber yard trying to pick out the piece I wanted.

But I have no use for a guitar that has been deliberately abused to look old, an old guitar yes, a beaten up new one, no way. ( Unless it is so cheap I can salvage the neck for another project!

Oh, and unless it is Johnny Cash's or John Lennon's signature, I really don't want a signed guitar.

-Harry

2. StuR

StuR Banned

:cry: Bass for sale?
    [​IMG]

3. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

Anything witha Floyd.
    Sig guitars (unless it a LP)
    Bling
    Pointy headstocks.
    Anything other than black on a Les Paul custom
    Acoustic guitars with a cutaway.

4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Any kind of black hardware (true, it's easy to replace). Satin metallic finishes. Unfinished-feel necks.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Anything that doesn't have some of the very best Tele parts on it that are worth at least twice the selling price.
    That eliminates pretty much all Teles for sale.
    Or if it's not a Tele/ Esquire,it has to be worth maybe 3-4 times the selling price.
    Buggered up, modified, batteries required; can pretty much all be fixed, and are often what make great parts into a cheap guitar.
    Relic jobs are usually a deal breaker though, unless they can easily be stripped off an otherwise excellent quality part.
    Still, some relics are sort of folk art if done extremely well, and I could live with it if the body and/ or neck was really good.
    But not gouges sanded into a maple board.
    I see a guitar as a group of parts, and will pay for the ones I really want, but very few guitars have them.
    My 71 Les Paul Deluxe has a very nice unbroken neck, a buggered up body with good tone and decent weight, and zero original parts which made it affordable.
    The fact that it's a nightmare of deal breakers wasn't as important as it being a group of really good parts, including a nice original reddish tobacco burst.
    It hung in a heavily trafficked guitar shop for a couple of weeks, and pretty much everyone agreed that it sounded and played better than a few dozen other LPs for sale in town at twice the price. The changed parts and routing for full size HBs was too much deal killer for a lot of people that seemed to really want it.
    After I bought it I kept hearing regrets about it.
    Bought a similar deal-breaker-special 50s Esquire body with a '72 Tele neck. Many layers of paint on the body and worn out frets kept it going back on the wall, and when I put a deposit on it suddenly everyone was producing cash.
    I recently bough a Pepto Bismol pink Warmoth Strat neck with screw holes from a locking nut (behind the nut) for $80. OK, maybe that was pushing it, but it's a great neck.
    Deal breakers are your friend. Unless they involve dive bombing.

6. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

More than six strings.

7. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

My dealbreaker is not being able to get it for a ridiculously good price. That also explains why I have a whole bunch of guitars - I can't pass up a bargain.

Regarding Floyd Rose trems, I have a guitar with one, but that's probably my least-played guitar. It's not the guitar, I'm just not a dive-bomb kinda guy. I love how the FR stays in tune, no matter what, even though it's a bit of a pain to string and intonate.

Floyd Rose trems are kind of a funny cliche of the big-hair-pointy-guitar '80s right now. I'm sure they will come back around again.

8. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

I don't like guitars that are highly figured, flamed, quilted etc. I call it wood p0rn. Also shredder style guitars are out.

9. tnotyalc

tnotyalc TDPRI Member

I'm not a FR fan, I'll usually pass on those. I do like unusual wood guitars, strats and lp's bore me to death! I'll pass on those too! I don't mind road worn guitars as long as it's real and not replicated! I'm really into unusual guitars, but then again, I've never been mainstream and tend to be going in different directions from the masses! I will definitely pass on all those weird colors gibson has been using lately! I guess I'm just a rickenbacker kinda fella!!

10. Comanche

Comanche TDPRI Member

Anything made in China regardless of who puts their name on it.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I can't stand Floyd Rose. Pretty much any guitar that looks like it should be in the hands of an 80's metal band I can't deal with.

12. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

Even worse: "good condition, but hasn't been tuned in a while."

13. drewsblues

drewsblues Tele-Holic

I concur 100%

14. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

- pointy head stocks

- hole cut through the body that forms a handle

- more than one neck

15. teleowner0196

teleowner0196 Tele-Meister

+1

16. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

This, except the Bigsby can stay! Not a FR person, but then again, I've never owned one.

17. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

No Chinese guitars. No Russian guitars. No signature guitars. No "3" burst guitars. I dig natural and tobacco sunburst, but when they add that "sunburst red" in there.....huge turnoff. No totally black or white guitars. No red guitars (this does not mean "candy apple red") No sparkle guitars. No guitars with a built in "handle". No "pointy" guitars. And no stupidly painted "changing colours" according to light.....and no purple guitars, but I'm fairly open minded. Ky

18. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

p.s. I can't stand Gold Top guitars either

19. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

Yeah,the string things always amuse me.Cant but one string to sell your piece? Also have seen,Just tuned,as a selling point WTF? I HATE all the locals that call their Epi Les Pauls Gibson Epiphone Les Paul. I would not buy a silver burst finish on any guitar ever.Even though they work okay on some teles,I guess. There has been an ES-137 IN Gothic Black style on local CL for a stinkin year,just so freakin wrong!

20. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

UK in the North - Yorkshire, but now in the South.
    Anything that has been badly knocked about, obviously if you're buying a guitar that's ten or fifteen years old I have to expect the odd blemish here and there, that doesn't bother me, but when something looks as though it's just been abused I am not interested. I know others disagree because the whole relic is very "now" but I personally think it's a fad and in a few years time people will be kicking themselves saying why did I ruin that guitar, it'd be worth five times it's value now if I hadn't done that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.