Deadhead-caster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by adamkavanagh, Aug 6, 2011.

1. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

I'm thinking of building a Tele out of one of the many deadheads that I've pulled up
    Out of the water at my cottage.

Here's a picture of a fairly large cut of wood

image-3201356942.jpg

That's a mushroom on top!

image-210870907.jpg

There's a long length of wood
    An here's another smaller stump

image-2898265754.jpg

So as you can see, there cracks are everywhere in these logs and I have no idea how I'll be able to get useful cuts out of these

Any clue what kind of wood they are? My cottage is in buckams bay, Ottawa ON Canada

image-2552542246.jpg

Here's a view from the water :p

Anyways, I don't care that much if it doesn't sound great, it's more about the idea and about the process that will make me happy.

What do you think?

2. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You would want to cut it like this.
    [​IMG]

Cut it thicker and longer than you intend to use, because once you square it up and plane it down you will loose a lot more wood than you might think. Plus, they usually develop splits, cups, and twists while drying.

You'll have to make sure its dried ( all the way through) to the proper moisture content, which can take a year for every inch of thickness.

Your log looks like it has a lot of splits, so you may want to try the middle portion. Those big cracks would be an issue.

3. Ragtime Dan

Ragtime Dan Tele-Holic

I think your guitar body will have cracks in it. May be you should embrace that concept and push forward!

4. Boogyman

Boogyman Tele-Meister

When I saw "deadhead" 'caster I thought you meant... oh, never mind. :lol:

5. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

:lol:.............Me too :)

6. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

I think the cracks would be cool looking. Get building, and includes lots of pictures :D

7. gagidlof

gagidlof Tele-Holic

I would think, based on what is harvested in the area, you are dealing with some conifer, pine, spruce, douglas fir or cedar. I'll be interested in seeing what you get when you start cutting them up?

The idea of reclaiming drift wood logs has crossed my mind before. We have beaches full of all sorts of fir and cedar, etc out here in the PNW. It seems like it would be cool to build a guitar from one of those logs.

Keep us posted.

8. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When you say beaches, one thing to consider is sand. If the log is impregnated with sand, its going to be hell on saw blades.

9. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

Yeah that's a good point. These things have been submerged for years and were only yanked because they are dangerous to ski and wake-board around oh and tube too.

Im not sure if I have the equipment needed for the job of cutting these up.

I wonder if I can do it by hand with one of these:

[​IMG]

And yes, I do have one of these. Well close to it. It was my great grandfather's. I think it would be very rewarding to make a guitar out of wood that I cut up with an antique like that!

10. crazydave911

Bull fritters! I see your sand, and raise you embedded barbwire fence staples and wrought iron cattle gate hinges (the musket and Minie' balls don't count, they're lead) and cannon shell fragments :lol: (this is Tennessee after all :))

11. gagidlof

gagidlof Tele-Holic

Now there's a guitar I want to see. :lol:

12. crazydave911

There was a guy in West Tn that cleared about 80 acres of brush (burnt a lot of the brush, kept a few big trees for lumber and firewood and of course plowed the ground. He had 60lbs of lead from musket balls (all kinds) and so many relics that the local civil war society kept it tied up in court two yrs. This was supposedly 15 miles from the Shiloh battle site. And this is only 70 miles from the Nathan Beford Forrest (for whom the war never did end) national park.
    Most of the timber here is suspect unless it comes from the higher elevations. Tennessee shares the dubious distinction with France, that if you plow, cut down, or burn in most places, you will find metal. My Dad still makes ornamental crafts from native cedar,walnut, poplar and sycamore. Between my collection and his, we have over 100 minie balls, musket balls, revolver balls, and three cannon balls and one explosive shell, and this is only 45 miles from Knoxville. A lot of that war never made the history books ;)

For all this, the OP can be glad he lives in Canada :lol:

13. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

In the early 70's my friend and I went on our own Jack Kerouac trip; 12K miles in 5 weeks in a 65 Dodge panel van. We went over the north shore of Lake Superior and gathered driftwood which was hauled the remaining 11,500 miles of the trip. When we got back my friend used a circular saw and table saw to fashion the interior of the van with cabinets and paneling. He did burn a few blades up, and knowing now what I've seen - some of that wood was probably the quilt and curly maple of the old log runs of the 1800's. It did turn out very cool, though.

Good luck on the build. Maybe you too will hit a real treasure in one of the logs.

14. bubba105

bubba105 Tele-Meister

You could probably make something similar to this. The plate on top rides on 2x4s. It would be about fashioning something to hold steady to the saw while keeping the top plate parallel to the cut.

http://granberg.com/

My brother in law cut up the branches of an elm tree into lumber with a 24" chainsaw & one of these. The trunk was some rediculous size, 12 feet around or something. The lumber from the branches just barely made the length of the chain. The trunk is still standing, about 15/20 feet high. He's got a whole garage of lumber, stickered, 2-3" thick, air dried for about 5-6 years. Seems too heavy for a guitar so I haven't even inquired as to what he plans on doing with it. Someday I'll remember to take photos, the trunk is amazing.

15. Fred_Garvin

Fred_Garvin Tele-Holic

crazydave911, what part of the volunteer state are you in? Between Fort Sanders and Midtown Atlanta I've spent more than a decade living in civil war battlefields.

16. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Look up and contact forum member "tonewoods" . Bruce is the proprietor of Orcas Island tonewoods and has been cutting tone wood for +/- 30 yrs.

17. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Me too

[​IMG]

But this will be cool as well, I'll stay posted.

18. crazydave911

Currently Jefferson City and my Dad's in Luttrell. I've lived in Knoxville several times and also Oak Ridge. It's kinda funny, but up to 20 miles each side of the old stagecoach road from Virginia through Knoxville to Chattanooga, your liable to find relics of one sort or the other. It's also funny that East Tn. was the only part of the state under continuous occupation by both sides at various times. The locals loyalty couldn't be trusted, they were apt to shoot at any uniform, regardless of the color :lol:. That's why I like them :)

Dave

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.