Dead Simple Neck Carve jig...

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by John Nicholas, Jun 17, 2019.

1. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Yeah... I know... there are tons of threads about building jigs to automate the process of the neck carve. They are awesome, but I have not found any I'm willing to devote the time and energy to build quite yet.

I got some wood from work... 2x12 Douglas fir that was used as a guard rail. It was hit and broken, so the Facilities dept knows I'm always on the hunt for wood, so they called me!

IMG_5057.JPG

Wasn't sure what to use this stuff for... but I had a neck to carve and my typical method is to carve the neck while holding it my lap on a high stool. It's not the best way to do it, but it works.

I had seen a couple of variants on this type of jig in the past, but just didn't bother because I wanted to build one of the fancy ones. Trouble is, there is only so much time in a day/week to devote to building, so something simple would have to do for now.

This jig will be even easier for a flat neck, but to make it more interesting and fun, the neck to be carved has a 10 degree headstock.

It's so simple, just a bit of measuring on your part and cut the jig out!

IMG_5058.JPG

IMG_5059.JPG

Just a couple of clamps to hold the neck in place. I used some old denim as a soft layer between the neck and the jig.

IMG_5047.jpg

Then just rasp, file, sand until the neck is carved. I also picked up this handy little tool...

IMG_5054.JPG

Works great!

IMG_5061.JPG

IMG_5062.JPG

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You made that look easy!
    My first thought was how I would break the jig, because I usually have that as my first thought.
    But next I thought was I wanna make a neck...

Right now I'm working on getting rid of some stuff in the garage...

Edit: Too much wood from work taking up space in my "workshop"...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    John Nicholas likes this.
  3. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Nice man. I really need to pick up one of those stewmac neck profile things. It's cheap enough that I should just throw it in my cart for my next order.

John Nicholas likes this.
  4. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Not sure how you could break this jig!! It's pretty tough!! :D

I store some of my "junk" wood out in the shed... and this stuff is headed out there.

Thank you!

That's exactly what I did, added the neck profile thingy to my last StewMac order.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.