Dead quiet!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ce24, Nov 15, 2019.

1. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

So some of my guitars were buzzing like mad thru my 5e3 deluxe. Not all,so i took the worst one and checked out the wiring and basically rewired it. Still a buzz machine....no not string buzz. Anyway i checked my outlets and all was good so why did some guitars buzz and others were quiet......turns out my laptop was plugged into the same power strip as my amp. It wasn't my guitars It was my amp! Unplugged the laptop and voila every guitar and the amp are dead quiet. Stupid simple stuff!
    :)

2. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Don't you love it when it doesn't cost you a penny to fix something!!

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I sold a Deluxe to a guy in South Jersey. Got a very aggravated phone call a few days later when it arrived, "Worst POS he's played through, etc.."

He had his cell phone on top of the amp to demonstrate how bad it was.

The noise 100% went away when he picked up his phone and walked across the room. The noise was caused by his phone.

The FCC says these things aren't supposed to interfere with other electronics. Every cell phone is a small transmitter. Most digital signals sound like pure noise to anything other than another digital device.

howardlo, Andy B, BobbyZ and 4 others like this.
  4. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

And don't play guitar with your smart phone in your pocket. Ask me how I know.

ce24, Shuster and Greggorios like this.
  5. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

or with the ceiling fan running

Crobbins, Shuster and Greggorios like this.
  6. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

How do you know

7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Ah, a chance to tell another story! Sit back, children.

In grad school, I did a lot of work in the Computer Music Studio, often late at night. For 4-5 years, there was an intermittent buzz that would appear in the system. I tried a lot of grounding ideas, guided one night by my dad on the other phone in Oregon. Basically, I treated it like a ground loop problem.

The studio was on the second floor of a gothic-style building in Chicago, which housed the music department. On the 4th floor, we had a beautiful chamber music hall. Just being in the room imparted a sense of history, if not grandeur.

One night, I'm in the studio on the second floor, when at about 1:00 AM, I hear the elevator. Even though it was late and the building was buttoned up pretty well, it wasn't all that surprising to hear the elevator.

A minute after the elevator stops (at the 4th floor), whoa! the buzz is back! I went right up to the 4th floor, walked into the recital hall, and there was an acquaintance sitting in the middle of stage at a desk. He's got his papers and books, and is studying/researching/writing. He was the concert hall manager, who liked to come in late at night and work in style, in this gorgeous space.

It should have been the first thing that we looked at, but it wasn't until then that I wondered if the faders on the lights were inducing hum on the second floor. The light switches all had typed admonitions taped to them to "pull the switch all the way down, until it clicks." Apparently, lowering the fader without clicking it off sent a buzz through the music building.

The problem was being caused whenever Tony, the guy, didn't click the fader at the top, either. Solution was to make the fader click on/off.

ce24 and BobbyZ like this.
  8. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

I guess I asked for it :confused:...ummm I put it in my pocket and played my guitar :p

9. Piggy Stu

I didn't take it as a request: it read as an order. I was saluting as I did it

unixfish and GuitLoop like this.
  10. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic

Mini microwave ovens.

Just found a bad cable that was causing intermittent hum...another simple fix. Yeah.

11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Used to set my smart phone on top of my buddie's Mark V. Then silently laugh at him whilst he tried to figure out what was causing the noise. Eventually he figured it out.
    Need to come up with another way to mess with him but he's a dude that will get even. One has to be very careful with a guy like that. Had he not picked up a guitar at a young age, I'm certain he'd be a diabolical evil doer today.

Intubator and ce24 like this.
  12. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Simply brilliant post. Thank you!

13. Piggy Stu

I am looking round over my shoulder to see who you were praising there: evidence of how humble this genius is right here

unixfish likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.