Dead note on new guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Jim603, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

I hope this is the right forum to post this. My new guitar showed up today, it's a Gibson and I love the thing. However, as I played it I noticed that when I play the G string at the 12th fret, the note fades out quickly. There is no sustain at all, it dies out in about 2-3 seconds. It's not a fret issue, I checked it with a fret rocker, I raised the action and I loosened the truss rod. (The neck was very straight when I got it.) It does not do this when I play the note with a slide, and it does not do it when I bend the B string up to the same position. Is there a fix for this or am I going to have to return this otherwise awesome guitar?

EDIT:
    I think it is a fret issue. Thank you everyone who replied with great advice and insight.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  2. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Try a new string.

3. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

When you fret the note, is it touching any of the 13th or higher frets?

Dismalhead and Fretting out like this.
  4. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Try a new set of strings!

Jim603 and Fretting out like this.
  5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

What is the guitar?

Fretting out likes this.
  6. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I should know all about this but sadly do not

Jim603 and richiek65 like this.
  7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

These issues are common unless your new guitar comes from a shop where folks 1. Know how to set up a guitar and 2. Care. We are sadly running out of both.

Jakedog, Jim603 and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  8. Fretting out

I was trying to be cheeky about my screen name:(

If I had said guitar in hand I could probably diagnose it, I just find it hard to explain specifically what to do/look for I’d be a terrible teacher

9. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

If it is an acoustic and it is new, bear in mind that this is a collection of chunks of wood that will take a while to figure out that they are a guitar. I had a brand new Taylor K14c, koa sides and back and cedar top, that had two funky things going on: 1) on the low E string at the second fret (F#) it went thunk, think, thunk, no sustain, and 2) Every day it was a different guitar. One day it was muffled, one day it was bright, one day it was thin, one day it was full. This fun went on for a year and all of a sudden it settled down into who it was going to be and the dead spot disappeared.

Bob

10. Fretting out

I find even with electrics that when I’m adjusting action and I get it real close to were I want it but it’s still may be buzzing I’ll put it away for a day or so and try again, sometimes it’s not as bad as I thought the day before when I was hyper-focusing on it

Although if it’s new and may need to be returned make sure to figure it out within the return policy (if they have one)

Jim603 and GreatDaneRock like this.
  11. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Meister

Did you use a fret rocker to check against 11th and 13th fret? I would do this after proper neck relief and action was achieved

Dismalhead, ASATKat and Jim603 like this.
  12. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

A fret rocker might not pick up a gradual hump towards the heel, which can cause dead spots around the twelfth. What does it look like when you look down the side of the neck? Some pictures would help and more info in the guitar.

It could also be a problem with a loose part of the bridge resonating at that pitch.

If the string is making slight contact with a surface on the saddle at the twelfth, that'll do it... You may get no contact at 11 but firm contact at 13 so both of those will ring. You can get this issue on Wilkinson-style Tele compensated saddles if you use the wrong combo of length/height to get action/intonation. In some Gibson bridges, the answer to that issue is flip the saddle.

I've seen some weird stuff over the years. Check the pick-up heights. If they are too high the magnetic fields can do strange and rather random things to the how the strings vibrate.

Ian T and Jim603 like this.
  13. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

You need to see if the fret is properly seated.
    Sometimes the fingernoard wood will expand or contract, the fret will not be tight in the wood.

Sometimes the radius of the fret isn't matched to the radius of the finger board.
    This will cause it to sound dead.

You need to tap the Fret from under the 6th string to the 1st string while listening...
    I use a bone nut blank.
    You can use a socket wrench handle if thats all you have handy.

Tap one of the other frets to see how it sounds, then do the 12th feet.
    If the fret isn't seated you will hear a full tap.
    The finger board won't vibrate.
    A dead fret will cause the note to sound dull and weak.
    FG

Jim603 likes this.
  14. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

Thanks to everyone for the replies. There is a lot of good information in this thread. I adjusted the neck back to almost no relief and went back over it with the fret rocker. I found the 14th fret is a little high, and I believe that is what's causing the problem.

Now my dilemma is this: do I wait for Guitar Center to open back up and let them address it, or do I do it myself? I have done fret level and crown before with good results, I have all of the tools except the 12" radius block. However, I would prefer to have them do it since it's a brand new guitar.

15. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

It is a Les Paul Special Tribute DC.

Dismalhead likes this.
  16. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the great info. It is a Les Paul Special with a one piece wrap around bridge, so I think that’s ok. Also the neck is attached to the body at the 22nd fret. I am not sure if that rules out the neck “hump.”

17. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

This is what I first thought of, and I tried tapping on the frets but couldn’t see or hear any difference. I probably should have mentioned that in my original post.

Thanks for your reply. This forum is full of knowledgeable people. :)

18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No need for a radius block.
    I've done a passable fix on a high fret with a good nail file.
    If you know how to do it, it's your best bet.
    Anything could happen at GC.

Jakedog and zippofan like this.
  19. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

This is what happens when you don't by a G&L ASAT Special.

20. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

I've done it too, and that's probably what I will do with this guitar too. I really like the guitar and I don't want to return it since they don't have any more of them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.