1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dead Channel?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele295, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

I pulled my old brown Pro out of storage a few days back. The normal channel sounded great, but I couldn't get any sound out of the vibrato channel unless it was on 10, and only then very soft. I replaced the tube with one I knew worked (from the normal channel). Nope. I cleaned the pot with lube/cleaner spray. Nope. What gives?

Unadan likes this.
  2. Big Cookie

Big Cookie RIP

Any number of things................

The key word that tips me off is STORAGE. Caps in amps are a use em or lose em proposition. All my amps get turned on for 5 minutes a day wether they get played or not. I would look for failure in one of your cathode bypass caps or in a resistor in the same circuit. Dirt or corrosion in a tube socket or input jack is a possible culprit as well. I would resolder every joint in the amp after I recapped it.

Best Blues,
    Cookie

Unadan likes this.
  3. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Cookie, you may be seeing this amp sooner than you think. I can't find a repairman around here I trust.

Unadan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.