1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

dead ash trees: to use as guitar bodies

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by thunderbyrd, May 18, 2014.

1. Tallthinman

Tallthinman Tele-Meister

The 'nice' thing about ashborers is that they only feed on the inside living edge of the bark. If all the bark is cut off so are all the larva, and any that survive milling are only interested in live ash trees, and won't eat any kind of dried lumber (but will spread so don't move them anywhere). I plan to turn the ash tree that the little buggers are killing on my front lawn into guitars and hardwood floors ;)

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, I'm starting to think my advice was doodoo.

3. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

For sentimental reason you could try rough cutting a couple with a chain saw and then stacking them outside under cover and see what happens. If a year goes by and they look good, give it a shot.

4. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Not so fast Mr. Sutton, your advice is sound. The wood can be used. Pat M (Tallthinman) has the correct info on the Emerald Ash Borer. I had a discussion with a state forestry agent last year on this very subject.

What we have been doing when milling up these trees is to collect and burn all the live edge pieces to kill of the larvae . The heartwood is fine.

Steve

5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

since reading all these, i've wondered about cutting out a 4 foot log, roll it into a pond and leave it there, completely under the water, for a couple of years. think that would drown them?

6. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

Reclaimed sunk lumber is big business these days. You may be on to something there. lol

I don't see how they could breath under water, most arthropods have lungs(exposed many times) and will drown. However, I wonder if the larvae can survive it.

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

I would start by peeling off the bark to see if there is actually insect damage then report back.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

This is interesting that some say they live in, and migrate into the wood even after it's made into homes and furniture, while others apparently say they only live under the bark.

I would think that the University of Kentucky Entomology dept would have reliable info, but maybe they are getting a lot of funding from chemical companies that make pesticides.

Or maybe a forest ranger (or two) mixed up his beetles.
    Either could be true...

You could mill up some boards, stick them to dry in a separate shed, and look for holes...
    But best case scenario it would make some heavy guitars, like those late 70s Fenders.
    No comment on the sound of heavy ash. Zipped.

BTW, very sorry your woods are getting killed, we love our woods and want them to stay.

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Emerald Ash Borers and Powder Post Beetles are not the same thing. PPB's eat dead wood--and they're hell to bring into your home.

EAB's as noted above, bore into, and live on the conductive tissue of live ash trees ("sapwood"), that's how they kill the trees. Once the sap ceases flowing, they have no interest in the tree.

If your trees are large, I'd certainly salvage them, strip off the bark as Glen notes, then saw them into rough cuts, removing enough sapwood in the process to ensure you get the deepest borers. Then burn the bark and off-cut sapwood. I'd examine the rough boards for any insect holes, and trim off any in which I found the holes, or discard the board. Stack and dry as normal, keeping an eye out for renewed activity, of which there shouldn't be any.

Sounds like a lot of work, but in reality, except for stripping off the bark, and close inspection of each board, pretty standard procedure for slabbing out a tree.

10. Ed Miller

Ed Miller Tele-Meister

we had lots of them in Michigan. the wood is fine. If you see tiny holes in the bark then the Larvae have eaten, hatched, and bolted. If you grab the bark and peel it off you will see the damage done by the Borers. We are building a strat and a tele with the wood right now and it is fine. real reasonable in price too!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.