Deacon Frey Leaving the Eagles

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
You know Mick and his fans might be right for the rest of you, but WHY would an old guy like me pay ANYTHING to see an old man perform? I can look in the mirror and see all the old man I want to, for FREE! I'm dead serious, I wouldn't pay a nickel to watch 'em. That time is passed for me. Of course, your milage can and no doubt will be different, and that's okay!
I got a feeling the guy you see in the mirror can't do what Mick Jagger can on stage. If you don't want to pay a nickel to watch them, that's great. But I found the experience moving and inspiring, as well as massively entertaining. Jagger's face may be more wrinkled than a well-dried prune, but his performance is not diminished. Audiences get the full Jagger experience, as good as better than it was in the old days. He's still the best rock and roll front man in the business. Obviously, he's an exceptional case.

VWAmTele

Friend of Leo's
Maybe he just wanted to honor his dad by standing in for a little while. Mission accomplished. I'm sure he was proud of his dad, maybe he wants to give his son something to be proud of. I'm sure he will. Good luck.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
I have no problem with YOU feeling that way. I have no idea what a Rolling Stones concert cost, but I'll bet there are ten other things I'd rather spend MY money on.
Paying $$$$ to see them now would never make up for my missing them in '72 and the riot that followed.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I got a feeling the guy you see in the mirror can't do what Mick Jagger can on stage. If you don't want to pay a nickel to watch them, that's great. But I found the experience moving and inspiring, as well as massively entertaining. Jagger's face may be more wrinkled than a well-dried prune, but his performance is not diminished. Audiences get the full Jagger experience, as good as better than it was in the old days. He's still the best rock and roll front man in the business. Obviously, he's an exceptional case.
I'm sure not going to argue with you about what YOU like. That's a personal choice. I got overexposed on the Rolling Stones, and the Beatles, lemme see here, uh, carry the three, add back seven...About a hundred years ago. Just because they aren't my cup of tea don't mean you can't like 'em, even love 'em to your heart's desire. If I don't understand it, I reckon that's my fault.

McGlamRock

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ll jump on the “go Deacon” bandwagon.

An old teacher of mine said that it’s important for every musician to take their shot at songwriting. It’s important to try and give something back to music, to contribute. It might not be any good, and you don’t have to make it your life’s mission, but at least you’ve given something.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
It's obvious that if people want to pay good money to listen to the same old tune, fiddle and guitar, have at it. I just said it was my opinion they should hang it up. With Tiger it's something altogether different. Even though he did it to himself, he's dedicated himself to coming back from a devasting injury. I'm thinking if there is a story book ending to this and he could win, (he's only 3 shots back) it would fit right in there with Mr. Hogan's win after his accident. (That he didn't cause)

You don't know a thing about how many people have watched me play golf. I Provided many hours of entertainment to the drunken patrons sitting in the club house kibitzing, as they looked out that big glass wall as I teed off. Why there could have been dozens of them at any given time! ;)

Though I'm almost certain no one on this forum will understand it, Tiger playing competitive golf with all the injuries he has sustained in his life, is in no way comparable to recovering alcohol and substance abusing musicians who hit the road telling their tales of recovery. Though they may indeed be noble.
Henley has come back from back surgery and throat surgery, Schmit had cancer and recovered, it was complications from cancer that got frey. It is true that in a fit of frustration and anger they did not nearly die in a single car accident in the middle of the day, but them coming back from such illnesses to form that draws and draws and draws isn't exactly not to be noted. I'm assuming you didn't know because the media doesn't cover folks who just get cancer very often, but the self induced torture Eldrick created shouldn't trump actual illness (I won't mention your dismissal of substance abuse recovery as less meaningful)

So, for Henley and Schmit to recover and come back and use those same body parts night after night is certainly comparable.

I'm glad Eldrick has recovered and is able to play, but I don't see it as heroic, I see it more as a cautionary tale.

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
Inserting Deacon in the band might even get him to sit on the board of directors for the eagles corporation. Maybe for a few years to help finalize some ends that might involve his dad's legacy?

Smart move if that's the position that was taken.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I have no problem with YOU feeling that way. I have no idea what a Rolling Stones concert cost, but I'll bet there are ten other things I'd rather spend MY money on.
If someone said to me, 'do you think the rolling stones should still tour?' I'd say, 'the rolling stones should do what the rolling stones wanna do'...

you know, eyes on my own paper, do my own work let other people do theirs. We look over at other people's yards and start forming opinions about how they should tend them and SHARE that opinion... just asking for trouble when there is no need.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Henley has come back from back surgery and throat surgery, Schmit had cancer and recovered, it was complications from cancer that got frey. It is true that in a fit of frustration and anger they did not nearly die in a single car accident in the middle of the day, but them coming back from such illnesses to form that draws and draws and draws isn't exactly not to be noted. I'm assuming you didn't know because the media doesn't cover folks who just get cancer very often, but the self induced torture Eldrick created shouldn't trump actual illness (I won't mention your dismissal of substance abuse recovery as less meaningful)

So, for Henley and Schmit to recover and come back and use those same body parts night after night is certainly comparable.

I'm glad Eldrick has recovered and is able to play, but I don't see it as heroic, I see it more as a cautionary tale.
The reason you don't see it my way is because we are two different people with two different views of life. I said openly that Tiger's problems were self induced. Are you saying substance abusers do not have themselves to blame? As far as I know, when we have disagreed about something, I don't ever recall us agreeing. Of course if this is really important to you, I can do like I do with my wife, we can compromise, and YOU can be right! ;) Just like with my wife, I won't be mad at you just because you're right!

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
The reason you don't see it my way is because we are two different people with two different views of life. I said openly that Tiger's problems were self induced. Are you saying substance abusers do not have themselves to blame? As far as I know, when we have disagreed about something, I don't ever recall us agreeing. Of course if this is really important to you, I can do like I do with my wife, we can compromise, and YOU can be right! ;) Just like with my wife, I won't be mad at you just because you're right!
I pointed out that Key Eagles members had very real illnesses and surgeries not related to drugs that affected their voice and their ability to drum etc which were not driving off the road in the middle of the day because they were on their phone.

You paint Eldrick as heroic for overcoming those physical challenges yet you paint the eagles with a brush that is simply incorrect.

Tiger = overcame physical injury to return to action
Eagles = overcame cancer and physical injury to return to action

you lobbed the drug thing in as a way to make your case, I'm just saying 'red herring'

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I pointed out that Key Eagles members had very real illnesses and surgeries not related to drugs that affected their voice and their ability to drum etc which were not driving off the road in the middle of the day because they were on their phone.

You paint Eldrick as heroic for overcoming those physical challenges yet you paint the eagles with a brush that is simply incorrect.

Tiger = overcame physical injury to return to action
Eagles = overcame cancer and physical injury to return to action

you lobbed the drug thing in as a way to make your case, I'm just saying 'red herring'
Okay, I can see you're going to make me admit I didn't know about the ailments of the Eagles members. I didn't know anything about them, because I got over listening to the Eagles when my younger son was in High School. So, I didn't know anything about them having illnesses. I give anyone respect that beats cancer, my neighbor across the street did. I wish my son had. I know something about illness. My son-in-law underwent surgery this week in L.A. and hasn't come home yet.

As far as Tiger (Eldrick) coming back from his own self-induced injury, MANY would not have had the intestinal fortitude to do the same, nor the internal drive to make it happen. I broke my knee showing out on a motorcycle when I was 19 years old. I went back to work when the cast came off. Lots of folks would have milked the disability fund. I try and practice what I preach.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Okay, I can see you're going to make me admit I didn't know about the ailments of the Eagles members. I didn't know anything about them, because I got over listening to the Eagles when my younger son was in High School. So, I didn't know anything about them having illnesses. I give anyone respect that beats cancer, my neighbor across the street did. I wish my son had. I know something about illness. My son-in-law underwent surgery this week in L.A. and hasn't come home yet.

As far as Tiger (Eldrick) coming back from his own self-induced injury, MANY would not have had the intestinal fortitude to do the same, nor the internal drive to make it happen. I broke my knee showing out on a motorcycle when I was 19 years old. I went back to work when the cast came off. Lots of folks would have milked the disability fund. I try and practice what I preach.

agree. I am a cancer survivor. I have suffered back problems in my life and knee problems. I had a major head injury that ended my baseball playing days, so, I too know those kinds of ailments.

It is because I know that the Eagles suffered well beyond any substance abuse issues and came back to be able to play and tour that I see them as equals of any heroics you might ascribe to Woods.

As you said, you didn't know. You assumed that any problems they had were strictly drug isssues. I'm clarifying that so that other people don't make the same false assumptions and follow them with posts that make a point that is factually wrong and not fair to folks.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
agree. I am a cancer survivor. I have suffered back problems in my life and knee problems. I had a major head injury that ended my baseball playing days, so, I too know those kinds of ailments.

It is because I know that the Eagles suffered well beyond any substance abuse issues and came back to be able to play and tour that I see them as equals of any heroics you might ascribe to Woods.

As you said, you didn't know. You assumed that any problems they had were strictly drug isssues. I'm clarifying that so that other people don't make the same false assumptions and follow them with posts that make a point that is factually wrong and not fair to folks.
Fair enough. I didn't know about the Eagles, and the problems of the respective members of the band. I give anyone credit who is a cancer or any other kind of illness problem even substance abuse survivor. My hat is off to you sir! I'm not particularly sympathetic to substance abusers, but perhaps I need to rethink that. Something happened to cut short my in-laws visit recently that I don't feel free to reveal. A death in the family, I'll leave it for you to discern what it was. All too common today.

I know this is going to be hard for you to digest, but I admire Tiger for his abilities. Younger golfers who can probably beat him go to him to learn the things he knows and has done in golf. I know there have been great golfers, but I personally believe along with a large number of other people that he is the best there ever was. That doesn't mean he will always be the best though. The odds are against him, but they have been before, if he makes the cut, and that's a big if, he may find a way to win. They said he couldn't do it, in 2019, but he found a way.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Fair enough. I didn't know about the Eagles, and the problems of the respective members of the band. I give anyone credit who is a cancer or any other kind of illness problem even substance abuse survivor. My hat is off to you sir! I'm not particularly sympathetic to substance abusers, but perhaps I need to rethink that. Something happened to cut short my in-laws visit recently that I don't feel free to reveal. A death in the family, I'll leave it for you to discern what it was. All too common today.

I know this is going to be hard for you to digest, but I admire Tiger for his abilities. Younger golfers who can probably beat him go to him to learn the things he knows and has done in golf. I know there have been great golfers, but I personally believe along with a large number of other people that he is the best there ever was. That doesn't mean he will always be the best though. The odds are against him, but they have been before, if he makes the cut, and that's a big if, he may find a way to win. They said he couldn't do it, in 2019, but he found a way.
hey, we love who we love. there is not a lot of rationality behind it. My niece's dog is named Tiger after the golfer, her favorite basketball player was Kobe Bryant. She is aware of how they have behaved as adults, but she just loves them and the way they did their sport. No beef from me! You should like who you like and root for your team or player as you choose.

And, turnabout is only fair. Tiger should play as long as he wants. He has fight and grit and keeps going, good for him.

Likewise, the Eagles guys have overcome masssive issues and keep fighting to entertain folks and play music and, like Tiger, they should get to play as long as they want.

Tonetele

Poster Extraordinaire
who cares? He didn't really add much or anything to the band and now he can go back to being a little rich kid- maybe even work on that lawsuit re his father's death. He'll never know what work and juggling the bills will be like.