Deacon Frey Leaving the Eagles

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I know Marty Stuart probably regrets doing so, but George Jones showed up at his TV show once not long before he passed (probably unannounced) and Marty didn't let him sing. Now they had plenty of room for Leroy Troy, Krom only knows it would have been a shame to bump Leroy and let George have a go at it, but I'm thinking Marty didn't want to embarrass, George, the band, and the tiny little audience. Towards the end of his career George mad some really bad appearances on TV. I say all of this being a dyed in the wool George Jones fan. There is just a time to hang it up.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Uhh, that was exactly my point! And not just entertainers...should go double for politicians.

By "enforced euthanasia" I mean their public careers, not their heartbeats, LOL!
I can't comment on the meatiest of your observations but am compelled to say AMEN!

Ron R

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
You know I'll probably get ragged on for saying this, but shouldn't there be some kind of limit on bands just keeping on going forever? I mean, c'mon man, fashions come and go, something is all the rage today, then fades away but with musicians we're supposed to keep supporting them until they die? The never retire, only threaten to. Should be like in the working world, when they get 65 at least, they should have to go on out to the cow pasture.
They'll be put out to pasture if and when they can no longer find an audience to support them. As of now, they are still selling plenty of tickets.

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
I mean, c'mon man, fashions come and go, something is all the rage today, then fades away but with musicians we're supposed to keep supporting them until they die?

We’re not “supposed to,” though. Supporting them is entirely optional. “Supposed to” suggests there is a demand or expectation being placed on us. That demand and expectation is fictional, and until that changes, bands should keep going for as long as they want.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
My reference to golf is real. When I look at how much less distance I hit shots now than I once did, I KNOW my skills have depleted. When people play music, often they can't see how badly they are compared to their younger selves, but their audience sees, and hears the difference. Compassion not talent keeps them on the road.

Mick Jagger says you're wrong.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
My reference to golf is real. When I look at how much less distance I hit shots now than I once did, I KNOW my skills have depleted. When people play music, often they can't see how badly they are compared to their younger selves, but their audience sees, and hears the difference. Compassion not talent keeps them on the road.
of course, but you still love to play. The only difference is that not many people ever wanted to watch you play golf even when you were a big hitter, but HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people (probably millions) still want to go see the Eagles. Why deny the band and the people? Why not live and let live. You aren't forced to watch them or anything.

Look at the excitement for Tiger Woods this weekend. NOBODY is talking about him playing well or competing for the win, just that he still loves to play and the fans want to see him. What person would deny both that joy?

nvilletele

Friend of Leo's
Perhaps he'll get an electric guitar and take some time and learn how to play.

Aaaaand when his hair's combed right and his pants are tight it's gonna be alright.
I know it’s from a different song, but the first line made me think of continuing it as “. . . there’s no other way to beat the rules . . . (I beat ‘em)”

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Were you beaten by monkeys?
In a manner of speaking, YES.
Look at the excitement for Tiger Woods this weekend. NOBODY is talking about him playing well or competing for the win, just that he still loves to play and the fans want to see him.
But if he wins the Masters again that would almost be akin to Ali's 3 championships. Without the brain damage.

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
My understanding is Wolfie refuses to cover VH tunes at his shows. He’s doing his own thing very well from what I hear, he’s doin’ very well for the VH name. I’m digging his original tunes. When Wolfie has succeeded in his mind, whatever his benchmark is, he’ll play VH cover tunes as a tribute to his infamous Dad.

Perhaps this Frey lad can have similar success. I wish him the best. I can imagine some of the crap he’s been dealing with.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
of course, but you still love to play. The only difference is that not many people ever wanted to watch you play golf even when you were a big hitter, but HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people (probably millions) still want to go see the Eagles. Why deny the band and the people? Why not live and let live. You aren't forced to watch them or anything.

Look at the excitement for Tiger Woods this weekend. NOBODY is talking about him playing well or competing for the win, just that he still loves to play and the fans want to see him. What person would deny both that joy?
It's obvious that if people want to pay good money to listen to the same old tune, fiddle and guitar, have at it. I just said it was my opinion they should hang it up. With Tiger it's something altogether different. Even though he did it to himself, he's dedicated himself to coming back from a devasting injury. I'm thinking if there is a story book ending to this and he could win, (he's only 3 shots back) it would fit right in there with Mr. Hogan's win after his accident. (That he didn't cause)

You don't know a thing about how many people have watched me play golf. I Provided many hours of entertainment to the drunken patrons sitting in the club house kibitzing, as they looked out that big glass wall as I teed off. Why there could have been dozens of them at any given time! ;)

Though I'm almost certain no one on this forum will understand it, Tiger playing competitive golf with all the injuries he has sustained in his life, is in no way comparable to recovering alcohol and substance abusing musicians who hit the road telling their tales of recovery. Though they may indeed be noble.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Mick Jagger says you're wrong.

You know Mick and his fans might be right for the rest of you, but WHY would an old guy like me pay ANYTHING to see an old man perform? I can look in the mirror and see all the old man I want to, for FREE! I'm dead serious, I wouldn't pay a nickel to watch 'em. That time is passed for me. Of course, your milage can and no doubt will be different, and that's okay!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
We’re not “supposed to,” though. Supporting them is entirely optional. “Supposed to” suggests there is a demand or expectation being placed on us. That demand and expectation is fictional, and until that changes, bands should keep going for as long as they want.
I have no problem with YOU feeling that way. I have no idea what a Rolling Stones concert cost, but I'll bet there are ten other things I'd rather spend MY money on.

Larry F

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Bear with me. When I was 17-18, I played in a band that had a great booking agent. We played all around in Oregon and Washington, thanks to her. She told us that she would dress to the nines when putting together gigs for us.

My plan was to put together a contact list of all of the places we played. When my friends from an earlier band moved to Portland after high school, I was going to do our own booking, undercutting the agent. Luckily, she decided to work with my new band, and continued to do a good job as a booking agent. I still have the contact info for those gigs. I didn't need to use them.

Some booking agent used Etta James in a put-together band. While they gigged around, Etta would do as I did: collect the contact info for every venue they played. It was bad form, I guess, to actually do that.

Onto Deacon: I hope he was able to collect contact info and connections.