Deacon Frey Leaving the Eagles

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
It was announced this morning that Glen Frey's son Deacon Frey has left the Eagles. At first, it struck me as a bad move, because he's never going to have that kind of audience for anything he does away from the Eagles, but it's unlikely he'll ever want for money, so why shouldn't he go out and do his own thing?

I first read about it this morning, and I thought by the time I logged into the TDPRI in the afternoon, there'd already be a multi-page thread. But no.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
df13cee67718bb85096fc6fa37871d45adcc12794bc827918838007c2413ac98_1.jpg

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Is Deacon actually talented? Maybe he's feeling forced into a role he has no desire for....maybe he really wants to be around kids his own age and not have to go to bed by 10pm after his dose of Metamucil and watching reruns of Hazel. And does anyone in that band even do drugs anymore? Is he tired of Uncle Joe's warnings about the smoker you drink?

JJLC

Tele-Holic
I have frequently heard from many that only a Gibson Les Paul is a 'real' Les Paul, and the folks with that opinion typically are referring to a vintage Les Paul. Well, Gibson makes 'reissue' Les Pauls which have the Gibson name on the head stock but those same folks that state only Gibson made the 'real' Les Paul also tend to believe that a reissue Les Paul is a 'real' Les Paul, even though the reissues are not vintage.

I guess the same could be said for a family name aka surname.
Just because a Frey in this case is a member of the Eagles I could care less. Just because Glen and Deacon share the same DNA and just so happened to have been temporary members of a common band doesn't mean a whole lot, IMHO.

Maybe Deacon can go join the Vultures, the Woodpeckers, the Hoot owls, the Ravens, etc., but I guess he won't ever be the real deal.

WTF?

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
There’s probably a million guesses we could come up with - but I’m sure it’s quite the pressure cooker unlike anything he’s ever been involved in

Thoughtfree

Tele-Holic
I can sing on-key harmony vocals, and play pretty good guitar.

But if I had to go on stage and do these things with Don Henley, Vince Gill and Joe Walsh, I would probably lose my s__t.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I’m sure Deacon knows what he wants to do, and who he wants to do it with.
He’s been blessed with many gifts.
He has worked, and no doubt learned from some of the best and most successful American recording artists of the last 50 years.
The Eagles (as a performing act) has a fairly limited shelf life.
No “kids” in the act, to be blunt.
I see great success in Deacon’s future, regardless of the artistic path he chooses.
Blood does indeed tell.
Good luck, kid!