De-Nashvilling a Deluxe Nashville Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Butch Snyder, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

Hi all,

I have a Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster that I got before Christmas; Daphne Blue with Pau Ferro fretboard. I'm thinking of doing a few things to it; mainly, removing the middle pickup and making it a standard Tele. I have found that I tend to use the 2 and 4 positions as a crutch. When I play a 2-pickup Tele, I actually "play". Anyone else like that? Here are the things I'm thinking:

1. Remove the middle Strat pickup.
    2. Replace the mint green pickguard with a 3-ply parchment pickguard with neck pickup adjustment screw holes.
    3. Replace the 5-way switch with a standard 3-way blade switch.
    4. Replace the stainless steel bridge with a Wilkinson ashtray bridge assembly with compensated brass saddles.
    5. Keep the bridge and neck pickups (I really like the Vintage Noiseless pickups).
    Thoughts?

2. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Holic

Hi Butch!

Damn, you sound like ME :)

An analogy to your question would be like this:

I have a Blue Corvette that I'd like to do the following to:

1) It has Goodyear tires (which I don't like), and I want to put Michelin's on it (which I do like).
    2) It has a white gear shift knob (which I don't like), and I want to replace it with a black gear shift knob (which I do like).
    3) It has old style headlamps (which I don't like), and I want to put Halogen headlamps on it (which I do like).
    4) Replace the tan floor mats (which I don't like), and replace them with some black floor mats (which I do like).
    5) Keep the leather seats (I really like leather seats).

Do you think I should do all the above that will make me like the car even more, or should I just keep the car as it is?

3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

My thoughts? Sell it and get the telecaster you really want. :p

jrblue, Mike SS, brbadg and 6 others like this.
  4. Butch Snyder

Oh no no no....... That guitar was a gift from my wife and kids last Christmas. They bought the body, which came with the bridge, neck plate and screws, and my wife bought the neck; which came with locking tuners. I had all the other stuff already. I don't or sell gifts. I do modify somewhat though.

monkeybanana, PingGuo and artdecade like this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I would do what you mentioned, except get a 4-way switch.

jvin248, GK34 and G.Rotten like this.
  6. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

Nope. I also have the Nashville Tele which I have De-Nashvilled. The basic features & specs of the Nashville are not the same as most models of Teles.

I much prefer my Nashville at its core but Strats need Strat pickups and the middle position of a Standard Tele is my favorite sound.

So if the OP is the same as me then a De-Nashvilled Nashville is the guitar he wants.

7. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

I did exactly what you're doing to my 2016 MIM Nashville. Turned out great. I ended up finishing it just in time to sell it and get another tele! If you love the neck that much, go for it. But, otherwise I think you might be better off selling it as is and buying a traditional tele! I was!

8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I also removed the middle pickup on mine.

I prefer the neck & body (material & color) on my Nashville vs other a Teles but have no need for a fake Strat when I have a real Strat.

My version came with a 6 saddle ashtray which I promptly switched for a Gotoh modern because I prefer the look and feel of a sleeker bridge.

If you're going the other way around then first you'll notice your guitar becomes a little more "lively" unplugged which is a good thing.

Because the vintage style bridge has a smaller footprint than the modern bridges you may see pressure marks in the finish where the original bridge was.

"May" or may not & it won't affect anything if the marks are there unless you're the OCD type so it's worth noting.

I also recommend the 4 way switch which gives you your traditional Tele sounds plus another very usable sound.

9. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Tele-Holic

I understand the motivation as I’ve yet to play a 3-pickup Tele that thrilled me. There’s nothing like the Tele neck+bridge sound.

nojazzhere and G.Rotten like this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

One other solution.....when I added a middle pickup to my first Tele, I KEPT the three way switch (bridge, bridge+neck, neck) and put a mini toggle between the volume and tone knobs to bring in the middle. This way I can have the "normal" Tele p/up combinations, and add the middle to whatever else is selected. The ONLY thing I can't have, is the middle by itself, but that's not important to me.
    Having said all this, on my current #1 gigging Telecaster, I don't have a middle p/up, and I find I like having more "picking" area without it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  11. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I had the same Nashville, couldn't get along with it, so ended up selling it on, then bought a regular Tele.

12. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, what he said. Why do you think the 2 and 4 sounds are a “crutch”?

13. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

I am coming to terms with not really liking middle pickups. I removed it from my Nashville, I have a 3 pickup Les Paul I'm about to sell & only find I use bridge and middle pickups on my Strat.

With the Tele & the Les Paul I find the pickup physically being there bothers my picking hand and yet for some reason that's not a problem on my Strat (i just don't care for it).

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. dwbt

dwbt TDPRI Member

I did the same thing only I used a push pull pot for the volume knob. I did have to do a small amount of grinding with a dremel tool to get the pot to fit, but was pleased with the outcome.

nojazzhere and 53Strat like this.
  15. 53Strat

53Strat TDPRI Member

Just install a mini toggle switch and run a wire from your bridge to neck pups through it and you've got your neck and bridge back.

Mine is like that with a push pull tone pot. But I always do the mini toggle on my Strats to get the neck middle on them too.

16. 53Strat

53Strat TDPRI Member

Same thinking at the same time. :)

17. Butch Snyder

The tone is so easy to go to for everything.

18. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

The James Burton Signature is wired so that the middle pickup only works in the "Strat" positions 2 and 4. Position 3 rather than being middle only gives the classic tele bridge and neck combination. Which does not solve the OP's desire to remove the "crutch" of the 2 & 4 positions, but gives the rest of you an option of bridge and neck without adding an extra switch.

Spox likes this.
  19. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've heard the Nashville Deluxe body is routed for humbuckers...giving you even more options. That's what I've heard...I've been too lazy to pull my pickguard to actually see.

Spox likes this.
  20. Spox

Spox TDPRI Member

My Nashville, going to remove the Stetsbar though for a standard Tele bridge (it came with a bender contraption fitted, not the usual strap activated ones, I removed that for the Stetsbar) . I had the stock TexMex pickups removed and replaced them with a low wind boutique build bridge single coil and a set of low wind boutique built P90's. A neighbour who's an ace at playing jazz and funk was knocked out by the available tones. So whilst it hasn't been de Nashvilled it has been altered.

19th July 2016, James Cadden 8w.jpg

stormsedge likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.