De-glossing a glossy maple neck (and body?)

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telecaster88, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I'm currently looking at picking up a 2007 Classic 72 Tele Thinline. I've always been a rosewood guy, mainly because I dislike the thick glossy finish Fender uses on their maple necks and boards. The only maple board I own is on a deluxe strat, and it's a satin finish that's feels great and is very playable.

If I do get the thinline I'm willing to give the glossy neck a chance. I know some people love them, and I've heard that once broken in they get nice and smooth. I've only ever played them on new guitars in shops.

If I don't ever get on with the gloss, I know some of you have had success taking fine steel wool to it. Any tips? Is that the kind of thing an idiot like me can pull off without ruining things?

The body too (it's one of the natural ash bodies) has that super thick poly coating. Is it possible to take steel wool to that too, or is that a bridge too far?

Thanks, just ideas I'm kicking around.

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Green Scotchbrite, or 2000 grit sandpaper...

Telecaster88 likes this.
  3. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

Thank you! But you missed the most important part of my question... Is it something an idiot like me can pull off? :p

4. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Yes, and that answer comes from another idiot like yourself...

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I would avoid steel wool, that metal dust can get into places you wish it hadn't... Unless you take proper precautions...

Telecaster88 and magicfingers99 like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

avoid steel wool near a guitar. chips get stuck in the pickups and grind away at the bobbin wire.

go to an automotive parts store and get 800 grit or higher sandpaper. If you get to the point you want to sell the guitar then you use 1500-2000+ followed by polishing compound.

Don't sand down to the wood. just to get a satin look, feel.

masking tape where you are stopping the sanding, like at the back of the headstock. you get a clean break line that way.

Telecaster88 and magicfingers99 like this.
  7. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

Norton SoftTouch sanding sponge. p1500-p1200

microfine sanding, will take the gloss off and leave the finish, great for making your neck faster too. I've used it on a dozen guitar necks.

it can be used wet (recommend that for the body) or dry, if you use it dry, rinse it out regularly, it will load up fast.

https://www.nortonabrasives.com/sga-common/files/document/Flyer-Sponges-SoftTouch-NortonAA-7835.pdf

cheapest I've found is amazon by the box.

if you just want a sponge or 2 to try it out, these folks sell onesies

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/norton-softouch-superfine-sanding-sponge-1200-1500-grit

(never bought from them) rockler probably sells them as well as other wood working stores..

upload_2019-8-14_12-36-35.jpeg

Telecaster88 and DrPepper like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.