1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

De-farting a 5E3; foot switchable??

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Bob Mc, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

So, as I understand the defart mods, the coupling caps get swapped. If I were to install the new value caps on a little breadboard (or some little module), and repurpose a now useless reverb/trem footswitch to switch between the original .1 caps and some other value (as yet TBD), would I be introducing noise? Other risks?

With two little kids in a very small house, I play the 5E3 at very low volumes sometimes. In that setting I love the bass response, and am hesitant to change that characteristic completely. When I get to crank her up, the farting wears me down.

2. richon

richon Tele-Meister

just try and change one channel coupling cap

the Bright channel: change the first 0.1uF cap to 0.022uF and try it. Listen to it at any volume.... sure it would fix your farting 5E3

sadly this mod can't be don't through external footswitches, as through the cap goes sound and a lot of volts... won't be safe and music pleasent.

3. kevoreilly

kevoreilly Tele-Meister

You would probably have to use a relay to switch between coupling caps with a footswitch, which might introduce noise. If you want to switch coupling caps, a spdt or a rotary on the control panel is the best bet, I like a .01 coupling cap myself.

Another way to footswitch between a brighter tone and a full bass tone would be to put the ground of the 25uf cathode bypass cap of one of the preamp channels to the footswitch. Then it could be grounded or not grounded, adding or removing bass respectively. If you did that sort of thing, you could add a small cap (like 1uf or smaller) permanently attached from cathode to ground, so when the 25uf is removed, you will have a bright boost. Hope this helps.

4. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

Richon and Kev,

Yeah, guys, after I posted I realized it really wouldn't be a good idea. (note to self: think, THEN post).

Cool idea about grounding the bypass cap.

How about using the footswitch to open a jumper between the channels? Kinda of a Y cable that I guess. I guess there'd be a noise issue if it just opened the jumper; it would need to ground the jack tip.

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

One way to deal with the problem that you are having is to have a bass control pot on the guitar. I have one on my personal guitar. It is great for improving articulation--reducing that bass flabbiness----when one pushes the amp. IT is a very handy tool.

6. kevoreilly

kevoreilly Tele-Meister

I used to use a rangemaster clone I built with my 5e3 clone before I modded it. I would set the amp for clean which like you said didn't need the bass cut, then the rangemaster was tweeked until it cut just enough bass when overdriving the amp to not fart out.

The bass cut control on the guitar sounds cool too though, so many options.

7. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Just go ahead and change the coupling caps to .02 and up the first filter cap to around 30uF (you can just parallel another 16uf to try it out). The amp will still sound very full at any volume level. Upping the first filter actually improves the amp's ability to handle bass.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.