DDRI Replacement

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by HunterTheHunter, Nov 13, 2018.

1. HunterTheHunter

HunterTheHunter TDPRI Member

Starting to feel less than satisfied with my Fender DDRI. It's super bass-y, doesn't have the clean headroom I need, and while I don't mind the amp's breakup for rhythm parts, it kind of fights me on lead lines. Doesn't really cut through like a Vox or Marshall would. On the other hand, I really love the Fender clean tone as the foundation of my sound. It's the sound I hear in my head, it just sounds like me.

With that being said, I've considered other amps that might still have that Fender sound, have more headroom, less bassy, but breakup in more of a Marshall/Vox-y kinda way. The three amps in question are: Fender Prosonic, Fender Bassman 4x10, and Traynor YVC40wr. I've read about all of these amps having the qualities I'm looking for, but I'm worried the Prosonic will be too dirty (not enough headroom), the Bassman too dark, and the YCV too bass-y because of the single 1x12 speaker (like my DDRI).

Any insight would be appreciated!

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Pro Sonic's always seem to sound dirty to me in a band mix, How can the DR be too bassy? Does yours have the Jensen C12K in it? Those have huge bottom end. Sounds like you need an OD that is middy and cuts through with it maybe.
    Not sure I've ever heard someone complain a DR is "too bassy" usually you hear "too bright". :>)
    Tell us more. What you play? How loud? Has the amp been properly biased?

3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

why not a Marshall...

Jakedog and Milspec like this.
  4. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

1- What is a DDRI?

2- How do you have it set?

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I think a DDRI is the "too bassy" version of a DRRI.....

BobbyZ, Fred Rogers and Whiskerz like this.
  6. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

Look at Marshall Origin 50?

bftfender likes this.
  7. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

DRRI? Sell it and get something else.

8. tonejam

tonejam Tele-Meister

If a Prosonic sounds dirty, it's because it was dialled that way.
    in 30W (voxy) mode, Prosonic will sound clean up to about volume 3. However, its DAMN loud at that point.
    In 60 watt mode, there's a LOT more clean headroom than a Deluxe Reverb.
    Prosonics kinda get condemned by their own versatility.

9. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Would a speaker change help?

ponce likes this.
  10. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Is your DRRI the BF ('65) or SF ('68) one? Because a lot of people I know really prefer the SF one, and the Bassman tone stack on the first channel, while still having the BF sound on the Vibrato channel.

11. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

This

12. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

If your Deluxe Reverb reissue has the Jensen C12K in it, then that is your problem. As @schmee said, it has a huge bass response. There are lots of good speakers for a Deluxe Reverb, depending on what flavor you want. I highly recommend the Eminence JS-1250 or an Eminence GB128. Those will solve your problems of it being too bassy, and with either speaker, it'll still retain the basic tonality of a Deluxe Reverb.

brbadg likes this.
  13. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

:)

14. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Try a new speaker. Turn the bass down. Try new power tubes (or at least check the bias). Tons of things to try first.

Then buy a super reverb and smile. No replacement for displacement.

15. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Any of those issues can be addressed by speaker and/or tube changes. No reason to get rid of the amp, unless you just don't want the classic Fender sound.
    Al

16. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

DRRI's are not bass heavy amps typically, but yes those Jensen 12K's are bad speakers.

I'd start with a new speaker. If that doesn't cure ya, then I'd sell it and buy thee a SF Vibrolux Reverb.

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I'm also going to assume this means "DRRI". Are we right?

A speaker change should take care of things unless it's an awfully loud band - honestly, unless [it's a Hardcore or metal band a DRRI usually has plenty of headroom for most club work. If the band is too loud for it even after a speaker change IMO it's time for a meeting about level and dynamics control.

But a Prosonic *is* a viable alternative. The others on your list HAVE to be a bit loud to reach full frequency response. Wally and I have both spent a lot of time tweaking the Prosonic and tube changes can do wonders. One issue is that the 2nd "gain" control really isn't a gain control - it's a mids control; also, the tube stages are not "linear" - half of each tube is used in the preamp that's running all the time; Th other two halves of each are used in different ways - but it's not a 2-channel amp, it's a one-channel amp with a gain "bump" system. Trying 12AU7 and/or 12DW7 (1/2 12AX7; 1/2 12AU7) can really tame the "dirt" factor. I have one that basically sounds like a "doubled" Deluxe Reverb, but with aa tighter than "normal" speaker.

If you have a good amp tech to work with I'd consider a Prosonic - you can pick them up cheap and there's quite a bit you can do with them. They're also build very well - they have a PCB, but with full-size components, and all the to/from board, tube socket and control wiring is hand-done. Makes them easy to work on.

BobbyZ, LuthRavin, Modman68 and 2 others like this.
  18. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Try a different speaker or two before you plunge into amp changing. Can make a huge difference. The Eminence Legend 1258, for example, is nicely tight ad and cutting without being boomy. (And actually a bit stiff and spikey until it breaks in.)

19. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Some great speaker options are Eminence: Red White and Blues, Red Fang, and my favorite---Lil' Texas. As you can tell I'm a big fan of Eminence speakers.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Deluxe Reverb Reissue?
    If you love the 60's era "Fender sound," but the amp isn't cutting it for you because you need more headroom:

1. Try turning down the bass and up the treble;
    2. Try a speaker change (see several posts above)
    3. If you need a new amp, because you need more watts to get the clean sound you want:
    a. Try a Pro-sonic. People who love these truly do love these. And they're very versatile; One of the best amps I've heard but never owned (see comments above).
    b. The clean channels on the Blues Deluxe and Blues Deville are supposedly based on the Deluxe Reverb, but have more power. Try one of those?
    c. Egnater Tweaker 40 is very versatile, but sounds best to my ears in either Fender Deluxe or Blues Deluxe (Vintage) Mode. And has 40 watts, so almost double the power. add an additional external speaker, and you've got much more volume.
    d. Fender Twin or Super. Clean Fender tone. Much more volume. Of course you'll have to carry the darn thing.
    e. Put the right OD pedal in front of any of those, if you're into that sort of thing, and you'll get dirt for miles.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.