DC59 build - help me cross the finish line?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by offsetfan, Jul 28, 2021.

1. offsetfan

offsetfan Tele-Meister

hi all
    I'm in need of some advice re pots for this dc59 build.
    all I'm missing are the pots, then I can wire it all up.
    sadly, the only thing I can find mention of out there is All-Parts item #EP-4868-000.
    I say 'sadly' because not only is it completely out of stock globally, it also gets pretty mediocre reviews.

I'm hoping that there is someone here who knows another manufacturer for a stacked concentric 1MEG/100K pot, or perhaps there is some workaround using another stacked concentric pot and switching out elements to get to the values I need for this build?

otherwise I'll have to set this aside and start something else while I wait. (Les Paul build anyone? hahah)
    dc59_01.jpg dc59_02.jpg

zippofan, thunderbyrd and Fendereedo like this.
  2. fidopunk

fidopunk Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I've been looking for some of those wonky stacked pots myself with zero success.

3. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Nice build. :cool:

4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My original switch fell apart, and my pots went 'SkReEEkcrackle!silent0crackle' after a long time. Servisol couldn't bring them back, so I went with a Gibson style switch and Telecaster pot & cap values. Not original, but work very well.
    Back in the mists of time, I swear you could build a stack set from either Maplins, Farnell or CPC Choose the top ( hollow shaft ) and base ( solid shaft ). May be worth hitting their catalogue up, or trying Aliexpress.

Fendereedo likes this.
  5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I used 250K stacked Nobels pots on mine, worked just fine and I like it better than with the weird values. dano pots.jpg Danelectro 2021.jpg

VintageSG and Fendereedo like this.
  6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

It was a sad day when Maplins went from the high street. Now everything is online, and often double the price.

VintageSG likes this.
  7. offsetfan

offsetfan Tele-Meister

Peegoo likes this.
  8. offsetfan

offsetfan Tele-Meister

yeah, they are wiped out globally! If I track anything down I'd be happy to share the news. Good luck in your hunt!

9. offsetfan

offsetfan Tele-Meister

thank you!

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. offsetfan

offsetfan Tele-Meister

I can imagine this being an easy ask, back in the heyday of Maplins, when it was a magical cave of parts and wizardry </3

11. offsetfan

offsetfan Tele-Meister

I'll admit I am blindly following my research in looking for this 1MEG/100K pot.
    Honestly, I don't know what happens if I switch to 250K stacked, or 500K stacked pots, and I struck out trying to google search what the results of that change would be. But I'm jazzed to hear there might be alternatives out there for me, if I could just figure out what they might sound like haha
    thanks for the info!

zippofan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.