1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

dc kunkle necks?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by hobo, Feb 6, 2012.

1. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

if your worried about the function of the neck and truss rod just string it up and see how it plays before you fix the dents the dent on the heel should be hidden by the body and the one on the headstock may just add a bit of character, however if it bothers you and you find the neck plays fine you can then fix the dent later

2. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks. Good advice.

:) Peter

3. Azatplayer

Azatplayer TDPRI Member

I got all excited and bought from this guy too. Neck arrived, i was real pleased with the shape and feel. I had upcharged to some flame and had the frets done.

Thing is it had a back bow in it. I figured maybe that was cos of the great tension they could have, never had a baritone before, but when i strung it up it never pulled back up. Took the heavy bari strings right up to D standard to get the neck straight, trussrod backed right off.
    I told him and he said no worries send it back and that he would make it right. He gets it and long story short wont fix or replace it as he has determined that it got to me straight and my rolling the fret edges (which i did while waiting on the body to arrive) allowed moisture in and bowed the neck. I had the thing total for about 3 weeks, it was the same from the day i got it to the day i boxed it up properly..and sent it back.
    I told him to keep it. Im buying a warmoth.

4. PeterUK

I've used mine to keep the back gate open and a Warmoth will arrive shortly.

The guy spitefully changed his description to confirm he packs the properly - NOW.

The best $200 I've ever p*ssed into the wind.

You've been warned. Stay away from this guy and buy from a reputable seller/manufacturer.

:neutral: Peter

5. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

Lotta small builders think that because they are playing in the boutique space, that they get an exemption to the immutable laws of supply, demand, and reputation.

Not true.

Being a small builder means you have to provide "no questions asked" returns like MF....without their profit margins. It means that Fender can bang out a guitar with a plugged screw and not a sale will be lost, while if you do the same thing your budding career can be over. I learned a lot working for years in a small shop, but the two main things that I learned are these:

1. That it is very hard to make any money at all doing it, and
    2. Every single item you ship MUST be perfect, and if your customer thinks it isn't - for whatever bull**** reason - you MUST make it perfect.

This builder, whoever he is - won't make it.

Also, FWIW, if eBaying you just don't do international sales. In addition to the potential for financial fraud, the brutal truth is that international shipping is too hard on wood products to do with anything like a 100% success rate.

6. Azatplayer

Azatplayer TDPRI Member

In a day of online reviews for coffee shops, you simply can not afford to do the wrong thing. You're only as good as the last customer says you are.

7. PeterUK

I don't disagree with these points and actually, I trade on eBay in this way. Fast, professional shipping, update e-mails and in most instances a no quibble returns policy and I have an unblemished record of 416 positive feedbacks. It should be more but many, mnay buyers don't leave appropriate feedback, e.g. I sold a as new Boss predal recently, the buyer received it with 24-hours but I've received no feedback.

This I disagree with but I'm not surprised it's posted by someone from the USA. I'm pretty sure that most Americans feel that everyone outside the CONUS 48 is a crook, and this is reflected in the TDPRI Classifieds. International selling is exactly the same as domestic selling if you follow the rules.

1. Only accept a form of payment that offers buyer AND seller protection.
    2. Only ship using fully tracked and insured shipping. Insurance must be for the full cost of a new replacement item.
    3. Pack properly. Assume that the handlers are going to throw your item around with little respect for the contents - regardless if it's marked fragile.
    4. Only send wooden items that have been treated.
    I do agree that international shipping is hard on the wood so a raw, untreated wooden neck is fraught with danger.

I'm constantly amused by the CONUS 48 attitude as it's actually a one way deal. I've sold 10 items in the last year to Americans and 8 out of 10 items have been to people who would not sell to me. :rolleyes:

I've followed the above rules and received e-mails of thanks and one guy in Seattle commented that he received the item from me faster than he receives domestic items.

In my instance, D C Kunkle disregarded all the basis selling rules and then hid behind an unhelpful eBay policy, displaying staggering disregard for the customer and his reputation.

It's interesting that he omended his policy stating that he now adequately packs his necks for international shipping which is total BS. The packing should be the same if he was sending to the next state.

I certainly tried to Google him before I made a purchase but sadly there was very little information.

Now through his disregard and arrogance, this and several other threads come up and his reputation now preceeds him.

Well deserved I would say.

8. Azatplayer

Azatplayer TDPRI Member

If i was local to him, i'd be on his doorstep, neck in hand.
    As im not and cant possibly back up that threat from a different country, i can at least throw a warning out to others. WHat bothered me most was that he had agreed to replace it, before he got it back and afterwards. The bow self corrected a week on his shelf. It was then claimed that something I had done to it, had bowed it. It had sat on my desk for 10 days waiting on a body to arrive for the project. It was suggested that i'd taken it scubadiving. He was actually pretty decent to deal with, and had MADE me a new neck to replace this one with. AFter a week of no contact i dropped him a line last nite to see how the replacement was going, to which he replied, "i have determined it was something you have done"
    What else can i now do but piss on him publicly, helping raise public awareness in this community, i say that broadly as im new here but on many forums guitar related.
    Regarding international trade? Im half way to spending 6 figures internationally, had very little issue, and of all the amps and guitars i have imported, and theres been many, the only issue ive had has been at my end in customs. I have nothing bad to say about any vendor ive dealt with.
    I spent all up 250 dollars with this guy, so its not much money, hardly worth callin the brothers on, but the flip from yes to no? Thats pissed me off.
    I hate that ive done my forst post on this subject. I need to find some Neville guitar posts so i can show my love there. What a great guy and killer guitar builder Jeff is, i only came to this other cat cos Jeff was too busy to do a neck for me, tho its was one of his bodys that i was waiting on. Sensational guitars.

9. PeterUK

Hmm, I can see I'm not the only one who has been on the receiving end of him feigning "good customer service".

10. Walter Broes

Walter Broes Tele-Afflicted

Well, I'm happy to report I received a DC Kunkle baritone tele neck in the mail today, and not only was it very well packed, from the looks and feel of it, it's a very nice neck. I have yet to put it on a guitar, but it looks and feels like something more expensive.

11. PeterUK

Good for you. After I highlighted my problems and the lack support from the seller he admitted in his auction text that he changed his packing particularly for international sales. Only a fool would send a 730mm neck in 730mm box with no additional protection. Unfortunately I dealt with that fool.

I hope yours doesn't develop problems because his aftercare and support is deplorable.

Mine is fine. I used it as a post in the garden and it has some lovely beans growing up it. At least my $200 wasn't entirely wasted.

12. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

what a waist of a perfectly good neck
    you could have passed it on to someone who would have used it for its intended purpose instead of leaving it out in the rain to be ruined
    such a selfish act can only come from a selfish self centered person, after reading your last post I must now side with DC kunkle as your judgment is in serious doubt

13. StratBluesRock

StratBluesRock Friend of Leo's

It's his neck, and he can do what he wants. But, I must say, if it would play well, you should use it on SOMETHING...........

14. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

so people have the right to be greedy and selfish
    I suppose they do have that right
    but they also have the CHOICE to not be that way
    when I have something I no longer want that is still in good working order
    I do not destroy it because it is MINE!
    I pass it along to someone who can use and enjoy it
    it is the difference between being a decent human being and being a jerk

15. PeterUK

You know, you're right but I need your help. Who exactly should I have given the neck - just to remind you, damaged and unusable - to?

I actually think I was quite resourceful. I'm quite big on recycling and it certainly creates a talking point in my garden. :lol:

I'll make you offer. Once my beans have grown and I've harvested them, as long as you pay the packing and fully tracked international shipping, I'll send you the neck and perhaps you find someone to donate it to. I did have D C Kunkle finish it in a thin nitro so it may have some protection from the weather.

What do you say? Surely that will move my status from a "mean and selfish" individual to one with resourcefulness and compassion? :D

EDIT. I must confess I'm frustrated that the site Moderators have intervened and removed your earlier comments which actually portray you for what you really are. Pity really, but your desire to have your say - regardless as to whether it adds any value - does keep the thread alive. Thank you.

:) Peter

16. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

the neck had a slight cosmetic flaw as you described it nothing that would make it unusable, and as far as who you should have given it to, or sold it to recoup some of your losses, I think that with a little resourcefulness you could have found someone deserving in your neighborhood, a student perhaps or other underprivileged person,
    I never have a problem finding deserving people when I have something I no longer want or need who will be glad to put it to good use, then again perhaps you detest "those people" and just cant be bothered, and NO! you have done NOTHING to redeem yourself, my opinion of you stands

17. StratBluesRock

+1. Why ruin a perfectly good (playing) neck?

That's like, oh, I got a gash on my Custom Shop guitar, it's no good now.

Sorry to sound like a dick but honestly if the neck plays good, you should use it, or sell it.

18. PeterUK

And indeed you are entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that the Moderators shouldn't have removed your earlier racially motivated comments which would have served to explain your continued attack on my character. You know nothing about me and your opinion is simply that. Opinion. Not based on any facts. Just your opinion, suitably moderatored to remove your earlier uninformed racist comments.

Blimey StratBluesRock, you've changed your opinion, it's a pity that your previous intelligent comments we're removed as you came across as a very mature 15 year old. :neutral:

The facts, not opinion, is that I received a woefully packed neck (the facts are listed above) that was damaged at the heel and toe of the neck. The neck had received substantially impact damaged and required remedial measures.

At this point, let me remind you that I had bought the neck with my hard earned money in good faith and was shocked when it arrived so poorly packed. The good news for others is that the seller, D C Kunkle now claims to pack necks adequately (my opinion is that the seller recognised his shortcomings) and evidence from my Belgium neighbour seems to support this. So at least some good has come from my misfortune.

The seller did offer to replace the neck but I would have incurred half the price of the neck in return costs and the seller refused to help with these costs.

So the facts so far. I'm left with a brand new neck that has been damaged, needed repair and then risked the chance of the truss rod being broken.

The costs of repair (of my brand new neck) are estimated at around £50 ($75). This is something I would normally do myself but at the time I was recovering from surgery to correct a hand problem.

I'm now at the point where I need to make a decision. Do I have the neck repaired, and if the repairs are successful, do I discover the truss rod is broken and have wasted the costs of a nut, strings, time and effort to be in the situation where I am now but having invested another $100 or so mounting the neck on a body.

My opinion was to bail out and put the as yet unspent $100 on a Warmoth neck. This opinion was based on my 11-years experience of building guitars and assembling partscasters.

Now this is where our opinions differ. At this point, and using your selfrightous philosophy I should have taken to the streets to find a "deserving" person and furnish them with a neck, which based on my experience, is no more that matchwood. Would you really do this? Really?

So by giving it to a student for them to go to the time and effort to repair it, mount it on a guitar to discover it's unusable is a good thing? You really do this? You foist your junk onto "deserving" people? Really?

We definitely differ in opinion on this one.

As you've clearly set out to ignore the facts and besmirch my character then I really need to balance this out. At the weekend I bought my daughter a new violin as she had rapidly outgrown the 3/4 size instrument and she presented me with the used violin and suggested I put it on eBay to recoup some of the expense of the new, professional level instrument (wow, violins are expensive!) but I suggested we a). Donate it to the school instrument pool; or b). List it on eBay and donate the entire contents of the sale to a charity of our choosing.

In fact, what we are going to do is offer it to a young Girl Scout who was impressed by my daughter's playing at a recent social event. Admittedly it's a great working instrument and she'll be able to play it (with some tuition) straight away, so maybe it doesn't qualify.

As this thread had got lost in your opinions - many of which broke the forum rules and had to be removed by the Moderators - I thought I'd restate the facts and get familiar with my new iPad. :p

Admittedly I did formulate an opinion that the neck was unusable and find a creative way to use MY damaged neck the way I say fit rather than foist it some other deserving soul, but then again, that's my opinion.

Blimey, pressing "Preview Post" I see it's turned into quite a rant :lol: but it's been a useful exercise getting familiar with my new iPad. I must confess, when I've posted this I'm going to see if there is a keyboard to go with it as I'm not too enamoured with typing on the screen.

Here hee! Your turn.

:lol: Peter

19. StratBluesRock

Well, it is your neck, and you can choose what you would like to do with it, whatever that may be.

If the truss rod truly is broken, and not worth fixing, then I suppose you have found an okay use for it, but if it was me, I'd put it on a guitar (regardless of cosmetic condition) and try to play it.

If the neck is worthless to you, I'm happy that at least you found a use for it.

20. jrdamien

jrdamien Tele-Meister

I've got two necks from him and a baritone on the way. I got a big fat 1" from nut to heel with a 1.75 nut. Great necks. Great price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.