Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by dazzaman, Mar 11, 2020.
And necessary with a neck through
Good stuff! Enjoying following this build.
Now that were past the instant F hole
I got to say;
I got my mind set on you
I got my mind set on you
but its gonna take money
whole lot of spending money....
sorry couldn't help it
I look at this thread and hear his songs in my head.
And on with this...
Time to glue it together...
And after it had dried it was possible to make sure it was glued properly...
... and then take it to the sander to get the right shape.
Which gave a fairly good result, though not perfect.
It is impossible to avoid little bumps in it. After that I used a hand sander to smooth those out, though I couldn't get a photograph of that in action, but I was happy with the end result.
But the next thing to do was rout the roundover at the edges, and then hog out for the neck pocket.
And then rout out the pocket ready for the neck...
Giving the end result...
Wow look at that beautiful body!
Oh heck yeah!
I needed to start jumping around a bit to try and get the body and neck to completion at much the same time.
I applied some CA glue to the body to act as a grain filler. First the top...
And then the rest once it was dry...
In total I gave it all three coats.
And then in the meantime while the various coats were drying I worked on the neck.
I started with cutting it close to size...
Which gave me this.
Then working with handplanes and the bobbin sander I got it to final dimensions all around.
At which case I could test the neck fit to the pocket.
And when I was happy I could drill for where the attaching screws through them backplate and the body into the neck go...
That's looking really good!
Very much so
Next step has been to shape the neck. But before doing that I remembered to put in the side position markers. First drill the holes...
Then put the markers in with CA glue.
And then once dry sand flush with the neck blank.
Then set up the shape the neck. First get it to the correct thickness along its length...
And then start on the shaping using the facet method.
I sort of got in the zone, so no more photos, but eventually the necdk was completed...
Really like where this is headed! Walnut is my favorite for other non-guitar projects. Looks absolutely amazing here
That walnut neck is looking good!
As with the body, I applied a few coats of CA glue to fill the grain of the neck.
Then I had the reattach the neck to the body and mark out for the string-through holes and the bridge screws.
And couldn't resist the chance to see it from a bit of a distance...
Once marked I took it apart again and drilled all of the holes.
At that stage it was all of the woodwork done, so I was time to hit it with the sanding sealer. Not that it can really be seen in the photo...
And, out of interest - mine if for no one else. When I started the build I had it in mind that I hoped I would be able to do it in 40 hours and 40 minutes. Those who watch Crimson Guitars builds on YouTube will get the significance of that - if Ben Crowe can do an instrument in 20 hours and 20 minutes with all his facilities then I thought twice that was a realistic thing to aim for. I always used to time things I was making, so I did here. Up to the stage where it was ready for the sanding coats has taken 20 hours and 40 minutes. I will not rush to make any deadline in the slightest, but I am now seeing/wondering if I can manage it all in 2020 minutes...
I have enjoyed a number of Ben's "timed" builds...but I'd never want to have to do them!
That guitar is looking REALLY good!
There is obviously not a lot to show here as lacquer gets applied and starts to harden, but thought I would do a quick update.
I rubbed down a few coats on the front and back of the head and applied the decals...
The difference in colour in the photos is interesting. In real life it is closer to the image of the front of the head.
Still waiting for parts to arrive - they will be here when they get here. As I said in my first post in the thread, I was going to be away for work reasons giving limited workshop time, but that wasn't going to be an issue if I got the time right for things to be hardening when I was away. Well, I don't look as if I will be going anywhere for a while - like many of us here - so I can share the frustration of seeing a build without any visible progress, and desperately trying not to polish it too soon...
Man that is sweet! Love it.
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!! Man, this thing has really moved along since I last visited. That is going to be one STUNNING looking guitar!
Wow, that's sexy!