Dazed and Confused

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HotRodSteve, Jul 28, 2021.

1. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

IIRC, the graduating class in that movie was 1976. I graduated in 1976. It was set in the Southwest. I grew up and finished high school in the Southwest (I was in Arizona - I think the movie was around Austin). When that movie came out, it was scarily like reliving my last weeks in high school. Which wasn't a bad time for me - I had a blast. But god was I an idiot!

-Ray

2. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Grew up in a very similar suburban Texas, but was in high school about ten years later than D&C is set. Still felt perfectly drawn, at least based on my memory of friends' older siblings and the little cliques they ran in, their clothes and music, hazing rituals, the importance of football and coaches all in their players' business, Friday night baseball in late spring. Wasn't terribly different in the 80s to be honest.

Weird about that soundtrack, didn't know about that or that Plant had veto rights on that kind of thing. Linklater's a genius anyhow.

Lawdawg likes this.
  3. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I was about 10 years younger than the characters in D&C and lived in the Midwest but otherwise it rang very true to my high school experience (minus the crazy hazing). What D&C perfectly captured about high school that most movies screw up is that the various cliques overlap quite a bit and most students float between several groups.

I suspect that those of us who graduated high school from the 70s through the 90s share far more in common than with the kids graduating in the post-internet social media era of the 2000s. Not necessarily better or worse, just very different experiences.

4. buster poser

Great insight. The Breakfast Club did a great job of crystallizing the role of cliques and group identity, but the reality is that Bender and Andrew probably would’ve been friends prior to detention.

Lawdawg likes this.
  5. posttoastie

posttoastie Friend of Leo's

Happy Daze had Buddy Holly on their soundtrack

HotRodSteve likes this.
  6. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Great movie.
    I graduated in '69, the movie was '76, so pretty close.
    As has been pointed out, h/s kids didn't usually have such nice cars. Kids had beaters or hand me downs from the folks. I had cool as heck Austin Healey Sprite and a Dodge van for hauling band gear but I was an extreme exception.
    I remember hazing was around my brother's class (grad in '65) but I never saw it at all.
    A big difference I saw in Corpus Christi was that girls were required to wear longish dresses at school but when date nite came around the short mini skirts what all the girls wore. I don't recall if mini skirts were still popular in '76.
    Blue jeans for the guys and absolutely no long hair.
    Cruising was a big deal going way back. I went cruising with older friends as far back as the early '60s and it was very much as pictured.
    The coaches were true to life. I played sports and marching band until tenth grade when I joined a cover band and was off into a whole separate group of friends that mostly didn't associate with the other groups - the jocks, surfer dudes, geeks, kickers and so on. There was little cross over between groups, although my best friend was a kicker as well the singer in our band. (A lot of the kickers - kids bused in from the areas outside CC - were not well off and there were plenty of fights over how they dressed.)
    Speaking of cover bands, there were a LOT of cover/h.s. bands around, and lots of venues we played. You could easily stay booked.
    The beer keg sounds more like my older brother's generation. Alcohol was quite hard to procure with the legal age being 21. You needed an older brother, etc. It was actually easier to get certain herbs, sic.

Mark

7. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

He sucked without LZ! Ever hear of The Firm?

8. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

No. I avoid Robert Plant whenever Zeppelin. :cool:

9. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

ok its a movie...its supposed to be a comedy...but there are some really ridiculous things going on

1 - the paddling of freshman...i mean...the town condones seniors beating the crap out of the new set of the in kids...at least one mom wouldnt allow it with a shotgun...at least the girl did some lame ass hazing vs causing bodily harm

2 - everyone has a muscle car or a nice driver...no pieces of crap...or mom and dads car borrowed for the night...except one where the one kid saves the his featured freshman buddies in the film...he was driving some four door land yacht vs a GTO or an SS el camino or some other 60s muscle car

10. HotRodSteve

Most people just don't get it. Yep yep yep.

11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hot cars seem to be the only ones that are preserved or restored. I imagine that when making a period film from the '60s or '70s it's hard to find well-preserved sedans and wagons.

12. HotRodSteve

Owning a car was primary when I was a kid. Bought my first at 15. Class of '81.

13. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i get it and i did say...its a movie...but in my area if there was one car that was in perfect condition it wouldve been amazing

i went to votech and there were a bunch of guys with muscle cars...but not one was perfect...they were all in various states of be fixed up

the most realistic car was obannons duster/dart...not sure which it was a dodge or plymouth...since it was primered and no badging that i could see

14. HotRodSteve

Very true. I overlapped with the jocks/heads/car crowd in HS. There were no clear lines. Even the brainiacs were welcome at the keg parties. Hell, we needed someone to figure out how to use the tap!

kingofdogs1950 and Lawdawg like this.
  15. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Graduated 76 in midwest/Nebraska...some of the movie was somewhat real...mostly not. There were the jocks, stoners and gear heads with some intermingling. Keggers were the common activity, followed by toking and then a smaller group that were into the psychedelics via older siblings. This was before the "war on drugs" and the MADD movement...so it was more of a free for all and the Fuzz didn't quite know yet what to do. I used to drag race my Opel Kadet Rally up against friends beater GTO, 67 Camaro with 350 short block and a pretty SuperBee...could beat them out of the hole but always lost the 2nd 1/8th of the mile. My and friends' older brothers who were in the military brought back THE goods from europe, middle east and southeast asia. And then there was a great contact from the prophet on the burning shore. I thought the movie was fairly tame...some how managed to get through those times relatively unscathed...got some great, funny and hairy arsed stories from that era.

Had a farm permit to drive at 15, one of the my first cars was a Rambler sedan with the fold down front seats ;) and drinking age was 19...however was already a regular at a bar by age 16 with a fake ID. We had huge keggers (60-800 folks) in cow pastures, where we would roll in a flat bed semi hay trailer for the bands...and Zep/ABB/EC/Jimi and the like were played.

https://www.vvdailypress.com/news/20161103/cars-we-remember-rambler-owner-memories?template=ampart

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    chris m. and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  16. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

1978 for me. The movie was pretty close except for the hazing. We had some but not to that extent.
    We were car guys. My first car was 67 ford fairlane followed by a 66 Mustang.

17. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Cars in any 'period' movie are ridiculously showroom pristine

SnidelyWhiplash and Harry Styron like this.
  18. buster poser

Interesting. In suburban Dallas, a helluva lot of kids in my 1970s neighborhood had hot-rodded cars and that trend continued into the 80s, both sides of town. I ran with a lot of gearheads and a lot of those vehicles are very familiar to me, worked El Caminos, lowered full-sized trucks, Chevelles... everything with a cam, headers and a Holley.

19. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Kickers? Not sure what you mean. Maybe the "rednecks" that drank and looked for a fight all the time?

There were nice cars in the mix at my H.S. but I am sure the ratio of that mix would vary by region in any period. Mine would be described as typical middle to upper middle class in a relatively wealthy community in retrospect. Of course we werent really aware of that, it was just our "normal"
    My family was certainly not on the wealthy end of that local scale. Graduated from publicly funded school for a reason.
    I drove beaters, borrowed, hand me downs, anything that ran... Or pooled with friends. Never rode the bus once though.

I saw no hazing. But I never went for sports, never went to any games. I did get threatened for dating some of their cheerleader girlfriends though.. :twisted:

High school was just a place we had to go to, didnt spend any extra time there.
    Parties though... Yeah. Tell no stories. :cool:

So- can kind of relate to some of the movie, but only little bits.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  20. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Afflicted

I think I relate mostly to the coaches. I'm a bit younger than the vintage of the movie (graduated '83), but maybe coaches didn't evolve much. The polyester shorts, ball caps... Our varsity football coach was very much like the head coach in D&C. Spot on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.