1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

"Dazed and Confused" Lawsuit. . . Finally.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by micpoc, Jun 29, 2010.

1. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

2. quackerz

quackerz Tele-Afflicted

It's about time! Now for the other 37 songs they ripped off... :rolleyes:

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

" If Holmes’ federal lawsuit is successful, he can only sue Page for damages from the past three years, due to the statue of limitations."

Little battle of evermore in there too ??

4. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I'm pretty ignorant about these things but won't it count heavily against Jake Holmes that he only now chose to dispute this? It's not like he only just found out.

5. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps getting through all the legal rigamarole, now allowed this to go through..
    This is still news to me. Never knew about this cut. Amazing and yeah I definitely see the roots of the bass line and cadence in Jake's cut.

6. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

Every rock band since the early 70's stole from Zeppelin. I say call it a wash.

7. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    QFT.

8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i think jake finally realized he wasnt going to make it big so nearing retirement he wants to make some money...geez if i wrote a tune and page took it and made it a huge hit id be ecstatic about it

9. slickschoppers

slickschoppers Tele-Holic

are they both IDENTICAL? similar lyrics and exact same notes?

i'm always curious about these things.... just from the fact that music does have some "rules" or basic guidlines iff you will, you can vary from them, but DAMN,, think if bluegrass players started suing each other for similar bass line runs and notes??? hell ALOT of bluegrass songs have the SAME bassline runs and notes....

I thing a song has to be damn near note for note word for word for people to be able to make these claims...

alot of times a writer sues another writer only for people to point out an even OLDER song that is very similar to BOTH of the later versions......

kind of like satriani trying to sue coldplay (I think that's who it was) for "similar chord order".... apparently satch feels he INVENTED those chords... yet a huge amount of people pointed to even OLDER versions of songs that were like Satch's....

10. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

the yardbirds and very early zep is closer to the original lyrics wise...the dazed recorded on their first album is different lyrically

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thinking about the average person on the bench, 40 years out.

When they hear the above piece, the LZ boys are dead ducks.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see the relationship. They're just the perfect age to respond.

40 years ago the average judge would've covered his ears, if he could.

12. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  13. dbenson32

dbenson32 Banned

Anyone ever know what happened with Coldplay's law suit for plagerizing Joe Satch's "If I could fly"? What about Tom Petty having "Mary Jane's last dance" taken by the Chili Peppers and used in "Dani California"?

Edit: Just saw this..

kind of like satriani trying to sue coldplay (I think that's who it was) for "similar chord order".... apparently satch feels he INVENTED those chords... yet a huge amount of people pointed to even OLDER versions of songs that were like Satch's....

Have you heard both songs?? The coldplay song takes the EXACT chord progression and is almost spot on for the melody. It's embaressing almost and after that took their credibility as musicians away from them in my opinion.

14. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

These discussions always go back to George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" fiasco; though it was found to be unintentional, the combination of similar chord pattern AND similar melodic arc was found to be sufficient to constitute plagiarism. It's difficult to imagine even the most tone-deaf court being unable to draw a similar comparison here.

15. PennyCentury

PennyCentury Poster Extraordinaire

See Fantasy Records vs John Fogarty in reference to "self plagiarism"

16. homerzeppelin

homerzeppelin Tele-Afflicted

Wouldn't it be ironic if Page was the session guitarist during the original recording of Holmes' Dazed and Confused?

17. Caffeine Patrol

Caffeine Patrol Tele-Afflicted

I'm pretty sure I read an interview with TP where he said he decided to let it slide.

18. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

That's my understanding, too.

19. mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular Tele-Holic

Except that, as you said, there were earlier versions of it. And truthfully, it was such a simple melody, it could've easily been written without Coldplay ever even hearing Satch's track. The chord structures of the two songs actually were slightly different, albeit complimentary to each other. I mean, you're talking about a really simple riff that only lasts a few seconds out of the entire song. Even if they did take it from Satch's song, come on, man. Some of the greatest composers and musicians of all time have been inspired by other people. There isn't a chord progression that hasn't been done yet. A whole song note for note? Maybe there's something to talk about. A 10 second riff that doesn't even match perfectly? Satch has to get over himself.

20. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

Now I'm a huge Zeppelin fan but this similarity cannot possibly be mere coincidence. However, Randy California himself apparently noted the similarity - recognized it - and basically gave Zep his blessing ("If they want to use it for their song, that's okay...").

Blues (or Folk music in general) borrows and builds. There's a long tradition there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.