1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Daydreaming about amps…

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LGOberean, Nov 27, 2020.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

…because I’ve got no business planning actual amp purchases. :(

I neither need more amps nor do I think my economic situation (if not the nation’s?) makes this a good time to add to my amp arsenal.

But this doesn’t stop me from daydreaming about them. As John Sebastian said,

What a day for a daydream
    Custom made for a daydreamin’ boy
    And now I’m lost in a daydream…

I’ve got several amps in mind, and two in particular have occupied my waking/dreaming thoughts of late. Neither is a high-end, expensive boutique thing. One is under a grand, the other significantly less so.

Anybody else feeling this way? You don’t need it, your finances dictate you should have other priorities, but you are just suffering from GAS, which in the case stands for Guitar Amp Selfishness?

If you had a grand to spend on an amp right now, not because you need it, but just because...what would it be?

2. smuc

smuc Tele-Meister

A Supro 1606, if I could find one... o_O

uriah1, Novak and Greggorios like this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Right now?

Eyes on, in order of importance:
    Marshall sc20 (want a Marshall, specifically a JCM ish one, for recording and gigging medium and small bars)
    EHX mig50. Can only find non used ones, but they seem impressive. Also, I wouldn't lose much flipping, since nobody sells them I guess?
    Frenzel, the super plexi small version thing.
    AB165 Bassman. Regret getting rid of mine.
    Unfortunately, I'll need to buy or build a closed back cab to be happy with most of these.

Next thing I'll want built for me will probably be a brownface clone.

But, I dont want to cheap out. I'll probably acquire one amp and a Gretsch next year. That will be all my spending. I spent years not buying gear, unless strings count as gear. I've got basics to record, everything I need to gig. I'm expanding what I can do. I'm lacking an amp in the Marshall spectrum.

If you're after an amp to mess with a new amp, watch for deals you can lose little from flipping.
    If not for buying Christmas presents, I would've picked up a jet city head with a Panama cab last week. I want the cab, it was a good deal, and I'd come out flipping the head and getting a good looking 2x12 cab for $50ish. Plenty of good stuff out there.

Have fun.

black_doug and Greggorios like this.
  4. Joshtheguitarguy

Joshtheguitarguy TDPRI Member

Somewhere in this cold universe. Or am I an alien?
    Probably a Danelectro Dm25 from the 60s.

foundjoe likes this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

It takes a lot of amp to make me want to even express a desire. Since I don’t have the need or the spare change to afford what would move me, I am contented. The last two amps I bought cost me $25 and $50 each plus work. They both sit in a recording studio these days, and each create sounds that would warrant a large amount of money to be spent if one was paying for sonics.
    I’ll take it back. I am probably gonna find a way to justify spending just a bit of money for a Jet City PicoValve just because of the versatility of being able to use and more importantly test/grade any octal that one wants to put in the amp. With a 12AY7 in the preamp and a 12AT7 phase inverter, the gain is tamed enough to make it a useful amp for playing, too.

24 track likes this.
  6. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

build one?

7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I'd get a Tonemaster DR, I think.

8. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

A grand, eh? Hmm..I’m on a high gain kick right now...Mesa Rectoverb 50 or an old H&K Triamp.

9. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm good on the amp end, but I'm still struggling with the guitar acquisition thing.

11. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

sense a Rockerverb 50 Mk1 & AD30 & Rocker 30 & Dt30 in the near future..the only proper thing to do is knock off all the Orange 30 watters & grab the 6v6 one, it's no dream..it will happen

gridlock and Frodebro like this.
  12. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I've just spent it. I've stuck with my 10w WEM since 1974ish. Others have come and gone. But come Christmas I'll have a second and I hope another keeper.
    20171203_133304.jpg
    20201120_121616.jpg

13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Most of the amps I want cost too much, and I don’t see any gigs or recording in the foreseeable future. :(

14. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Gibson GA-6 which is essentially a Fender 5D3 Deluxe circuit wise.

Ampeg GU-12 which is Stones Exile on Main Street tones

You could buy either of these amps and have them serviced for less than 1K if you shop around. Guitar Center Vintage Used Amps has both amps for sale in the 600.00 range right now

Wally likes this.
  15. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

My recent bucket list amp purchase. I always wanted/dreamt of owing a vintage Fender brown amp. This one came along and it is in very good condition (except someone added a Fender logo 40-50 years ago). Gave away the farm to get this amp, but I am pretty thrilled with it so far.

60B36E58-FA81-4D8E-BE10-19E4E3C50A58.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  16. LGOberean

I'm actually good on both fronts, in terms of need for gigging or playing at home. That still doesn't stop the GAS. :oops:

Frodebro likes this.
  17. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It sure doesn't. I guess you're one of those few lucky/unlucky ones that can keep the work side and hobby side independent. When I was relying on my gigging income for groceries my gear was regarded mainly as work supplies. Once I moved away from that life I packed everything up for a couple of years and didn't play a note. When I eventually started playing again it was as a hobbyist, and it's been downhill since then on the GAS front.

LGOberean likes this.
  18. LGOberean

Okay, gotta ask..."WEM"?

"Wired Electro Magnetically"?
    "West End Music"?
    "Wisconsin Energy Management"?
    "Women Expecting Mamograms"?
    "What Ever, Man"?

19. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

Most of my amps are pretty clean sounding (BF/SF, big Ampegs, some SS) so I am thinking something with a bit more gain. Blackstar Artisan looks nice, but not crazy about EL84 amps. Maybe the Bruno/Vox TB35C?

20. Pasta Player

Pasta Player Tele-Meister

The Mesa (so far elusive) Blue Angel 1x12

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.