Day Two (for me anyway) was FUN

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TDPRI, Jan 17, 2009.

1. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    I'm back from a tiring day of playing gool guitars, meeting stars and hearing great bands. It's rough work... but as you know some one has to do it.

I met George Fullerton this morning and he said Hi to the tele page on camera, then I met Billy Gibbons which was fun. He's quite the character. I met some more TDPers including Larry Rosen. Larry won the first guitar we ever gave away in the very first Fundraiser.

Last night I meet Ron Garson, Praisecaster, JohnnyCrash and Signal2Noise (though he may spell it differently) along with Russ (Cudney) and Jim Roy

Today after lunch I walked into the Fender booth to find Billy Gibbons playing ZZtop material with a pickup band in the Gretsch booth.

I finally made it to the Gibson booth too. I played the Dark Fire Robot Guitar which was fun and they have them set up to play with headphones using Guitar Rig software. Very nice software.

Also in the Gibson booth Brent Hinds of Mastodan was noodling around on a Bobby Krieger Reissue SG. Then Frank Hannon and Dave Rude of Tesla showed up on the little demo stage and played two oldies from Tesla.

I got video of just about all of this. And tons of still photos to post but my travel laptop isn't up to handling this kind of stuff. That and after a day of walking NAMM I don't have the time or energy to prepare and upload everything.

I'll return home tomorrow and get to posting this stuff on Monday.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  2. SimpleOne

SimpleOne Friend of Leo's

Wow! Great time. Thanks for doing the tough job!:lol:
    Lokking forward to the pics. So about the TDPRI Classic Vibe Squier?:?::D

3. LarryR

LarryR Tele-Holic

lighten your load

Hey Paul,
    Here is one less shot for you to load when you get home. It was a pleasure to meet you after all these years.Hope the trip home for you is a relaxing one.Winning that guitar back that then will always be one of the fondest memories of my guitar playing life.The fellow on the left is Terry Rangno. A steady bass player of the old tele jams and also a member of WEFIVE.
    [​IMG]

4. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Thanks Larry I appreciate it.

It was great to finally meet you as well.

5. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

Here's another shot that I found on my camera:

[​IMG]

I recognize our very own, El Supremo, but who's the short fat long haired guy?

[​IMG]

Billy was defintely on his game too, and raised the roof and blew it off!

6. TBoneDeluxe

TBoneDeluxe Tele-Meister

There's a lot of talk about this on the Gear Page. That's not Billy Gibbons. Strange indeed!

7. RocksOff

RocksOff Tele-Meister

Awesome! A Rev BG impersonator!

8. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

I thought that beard looked phony!!

9. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    I met him at the show before the photo above was taken, and I thought his beard definately looked fake as well. And, I was 18 inches or less from him. It really looked fake at the mustache. Plus I asked him a question that I was sure he'd know the answer to and he didn't. I found that really odd.

But, when he played he sounded like the real deal. I'll upload the video tomorrow. When he spoke I thought he sounded like the real deal as well. I figured he had some kind of beard accident and was wearing a fake one due to some other reason. Mostly, I chalked it up to his being a "unique" personality.

10. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

...Chihoe Hahn...

...made a REAL nice mahogany Telecaster...I spent some quality in the booth with Chihoe...we appreciate each other...

11. TBoneDeluxe

TBoneDeluxe Tele-Meister

The nose is wrong too.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    I went to Chihoe's booth looking for him but he was taking a break and I missed him. I spent time talking to his friend that was doing demos for him.

I did play that mahogany T-Style. WOW, that was nice and to my surprise very light.

13. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the update Paul.

That is a weird situation....I have never met the man but that DOES NOT LOOK LIKE BILLY G!

14. PraiseCaster

Ya know what Paul, maybe that is why he told you when you met him, that he knew nothing about, and dont own those TDPRI shirts.......

I think we've been duped by a really good impersonator/tribute band thing. And he had all the licks down too.

But I did think about this afterwards: The Rev Willie G., plays 8 gauge strings tuned to C#, and that Gretsch was tuned to Standard A-440 tuning. I accounted that to he would be a pro, and could bridge the gap, but it was so spot on, and he didnt miss a beat, not once.

Yeah, I think I was had..........

15. axmaker

axmaker Tele-Holic

i liked that blue one he had with the real thick jeff beck neck.....

16. Chi Chi Menso

Chi Chi Menso TDPRI Member

I know who he is! He faked me out hard too!

I asked him to sign a shirt for charity but he refused and said it wouldn't be worth anything if he did. He took me into one of the side rooms and told me he's an impersonator. Real nice guy too. His name is Ronee Pena and he is also a Fender employee that did alot of customer service during the John Page era. He also built alot of guitars for many big time players including the relic double neck tele that Sambora plays. He also impersonates Jimmy Page too in a Rock tribute show in Las Vegas. He has a my space site at www.myspace.com/roneepena and www.myspace.com/spiritofrocknroll

17. PraiseCaster

Ha-ha! Well he got us good.

Its funny, the photos seem obvious this aint Billy G, but in person, his mannerisms and playing style, and his speech, all indicated it was. So good, I guess we didnt pick up on the differences.

The guy is good! My hats off too him.

18. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Hey I want to meet TDPRI's and stars! Thanks for these updates of NAMM gang, I really enjoy them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.