1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DAWghaus 2.0 under construction...Closet into isolation booth?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by 4pickupguy, Apr 1, 2017.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Unexpected benefits and challenges to the ol' vocal booth in the studio.

Pros:

1. Way more control over vocal eq, dynamics etc. Vocals sounds much "closer to the mic". Not sure how to describe that one but lets attribute it to eliminating unwanted room ambience and splash we were not even aware of. We were so used to it we didn't hear it anymore, maybe?

2. Nice work flow. I have suddenly become the recording engineer and we que and execute tracks very quickly which keeps the creative vibe going!! This one is HUGE!! Everything stays set-up and record ready. Just open the door, step in and your'e ready to go.

3. Recording acoustic guitar is awesome!! Mid/Side mics combined with the direct feed from the guitar is unbelievable. Had I known about this I would have built the booth for recording my acoustic alone. I have yet to use the booth as an amp iso box.

4. Its easier to let loose with a performance when you are isolated even if only by glass. It feels awkward to be "sending it home" seated next to someone who is playing engineer. Thats always had a buzz killing affect on performing. Much cooler vibe there now.

Cons:

1. Solo recording is more difficult, but I am working on a solution for this.

2. Lost badly needed storage space and all the crap that was in that closet is shoe horned into the others.

3. Air does get a bit stale and I need to add a duct to the booth. The A/C duct runs right over that closet so that should be very easy.

Since it is so much flatter of a sound on the vocals, reverb, panning and compression have a MUCH greater effect. I was very surprized by this. It is much easier to "place" the vocals or acoustic in the mix. Before if I panned harmony vocals to the sides of the main center vocal it was not very noticeable, now it has much more separation.

This one was recorded a bit hastily but we tried to keep it simple with as few tracks as possible. It does kinda highlight the vocals though. I posted it in Twanger Central a few weeks back but would like to add it to this thread as its the second track from the booth.

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Very cool thread and cool build. I'm very impressed.
    Keep in mind that if you add an A/C duct it won't do anything without some form of return air flow.
    Learned a lot here. Thanks.

4pickupguy likes this.
  3. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Chrissy and I were trying to record some vocals on something else and, mainly to clear our heads, she throws down these tracks in all of 45 minutes. From the 1979 movie The Jerk. Enjoy! Lovin' the vocal booth

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.