1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

DAWghaus 2.0 under construction...Closet into isolation booth?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by 4pickupguy, Apr 1, 2017.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

The DAWghaus will be operational with the delivery of these items! From here it will be a work in progress, sound panels/more lighting, more vocal booth details etc, but we have made it, finally!
    Thank you guys for the advice and encouragement! Cant wait to get started recording the backlog of material we have waiting in the wings!! Just live for making music with Chrissy these days[emoji41][emoji1360]

New Mic Day!! Miktek MK 300!!
    IMG_3174.JPG

New Mic Boom Day!! Ended up going with one made by Blue based on reviews.
    IMG_3175.JPG

New Studio Desk Day!! BTW Guitar Center is blowing these things out for $150 off. Not the massive NASA style I really want but what I can swing.
    IMG_AD2A44F932FB-1.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    AxeVictimAZ likes this.
  2. AxeVictimAZ

AxeVictimAZ Tele-Holic

That’s great news Fletch! I’ve been looking forward to you two getting back in the groove and posting up some new music. Congratulations to you and Chrissy!

4pickupguy likes this.
  3. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Set the controls for the heart of the sun!

The MK 300 can reveal itself several ways — lots of options! The 0 or -10 dB switch gives you one tool for kickass and another for ballads. The high-pass is handy when you don't want a rowdy vocal muddying up the low end. Sure, both pretty standard on most condensors. But the directional switch tripped my trigger — cardiod, omni, and the tricky figure-8.

Recording the vocal tracks for a folksinger accompanied by only acoustic guitar, I put the 300 on figure-8 and blocked the rear with one of those nutty mike shields. On figure-8 setting, the sides are a dead zone (complete rejection), and just enough room ambience filters into the rear pattern to make the track sound "bigger" than the standard cardioid setting. So help me! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :D

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    4pickupguy likes this.
  4. 4pickupguy

Totally stoked here Woodman! Have you done any experimentation into Mid/Side recording using the figure 8 pattern and a uni directional condensor mic? Always wanted to try that on acoustic and the ghost chior thing[emoji848].

5. woodman

Not yet, but that's the kind of quest I'm gonna be on with my buddy's acoustic album. Wondered if how best to get a mid/side relationship going between the vocal (mid) and acoustic guitar (both sides ...?) so that it doesn't just sit there like a mono record.

Tell me more about the ghost choir thang!

6. 4pickupguy

I once had a link to an old Mid/Side mic technique video. It explained that both spaced pairs of mics (either X-Y or Faulkner configurations) are timed based stereo. Mid/Side is ‘positional’ using the phase of the figure 8 pattern mic. The film gave an example of what the narrator called ghost chior using a single person singing different harmony parts and each time standing in a different position around the Mid/Side mic. Its that simple but hugely effective and unique to mid/side. The result sounds as if you are listening to a chior from the directors podium. It was totally different than the spaced mic example.
    If you listen to “She Came In Throught The Bathroom Window” by The Beatles you will hear an example of this technique on the Lead and background vocals. They literally moved around the mic between track takes, (3 of them in two separate tracks) so I've read.

I am looking to see if I can find that video but I cant find it so far. Mid/Side just sounds bigger than a single mic for vocals and if you want, you can adjust just the side image.
    Something I did not know until just now. Allen Blumlien (inventor of mid/side) developed stereo recording at Abbey Road Studios in 1934. On the same sound stage the Beatles used decades later.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  7. 4pickupguy

New Mic and Boom Arm arrived today!! Making some acoustic panels with backlighting weekend after next. Will mount mic and boom in vocal booth this weekend. Getting Very close to functional now!! Stoked!
    IMG_1631.JPG IMG_1632.JPG

8. woodman

Man, you got that Hollywood look goin' on! Plus a nice cold one to get the mojo workin'. :cool: (St. Pauli?)

4pickupguy likes this.
  9. 4pickupguy

Thx Woodman! Stella Artois[emoji41][emoji482]

10. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I think maybe some form of constrained-layer damping might be useful here, rather than sound absorption. Damp the resonating object, in this case the "drum head".

11. 4pickupguy

Used mass to kill the "drum head". In this case, lead shot kilt' it dead. Still needs some reflective treatment on the painted surface. I run out of money pretty quick each week for this project.

AxeVictimAZ and David Barnett like this.
  12. 4pickupguy

Ok, new question for the 'Oracles of Rip'. Has anybody run all the audio wires behind the walls? For me, I know this is coming and I am waiting until I have everything located and mounted in the room before I make this commitment. Here is the level of wire running I am talking about for my room:

Vocal booth will have a breakout panel with connectors that run:
    1. 2 Mic cables to mixer (lo Z of course).
    2. Instrument line cable to mixer? (should this be lo Z as well?)
    3. headphone jack line output from mixer.
    4. 120vac for LED lighting etc (to ac plug)

The rest of the room is:
    1. Mixer lineout to small wall mounted P.A. speakers.
    2. 120vac to PA speakers.
    3. Two LED backlit acoustic panels (120vac).

If I HAVE to cross any AC wires with audio, I will do it at 90 degrees.

Any advice?

AxeVictimAZ likes this.
  13. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Just do it as another mic line. If you want to use if for an instrument, then you can use a direct box.

4pickupguy likes this.
  14. 4pickupguy

The first recording from the (finally finished) DAWghaus....

15. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Just listened through my little JBL unit on my desk - sounded great! Awesome dynamics and fidelity. Great production and mix.

4pickupguy likes this.
  16. woodman

Nice work, Fletch, and a great way to kick off your new operation! My only comment would be, I wouldn't mind hearing a little more of Chrissy's voice. The highs are there, but you might consider bumping the fundamental up just a tad, around maybe 250 Hz or thereabouts, to put some beef under the air. Looking forward to hearing more of you guys now that you've taken off your tradesman hat and put your producer hat back on!

4pickupguy likes this.
  17. 4pickupguy

Duly noted! Will do! BTW, I almost sent this mix to you to have you give it a listen.. I got impatient and a bit trigger happy. Yeah I think I went a bit too far with the high pass on the vox’s Thanks Woodman!

18. AxeVictimAZ

AxeVictimAZ Tele-Holic

Jeez you two!!!
    See my comments in the Twanger Central thread.
    This is frickin' awesome!
    Love it!!!

19. bigguy12321

bigguy12321 Tele-Meister

Sounds great! I usually hang out over at Shock Bros. but saw studio build so i had to look.

Maybe I missed it but how is the fresh air in there. I remember the small iso booth we built back in the early 90's and after a few takes we had to open the door to get fresh air in and REALLY STALE air out! Yours is much nicer of course but your wife might want a little fresh air now and then.

Just an observation... and fun memory.

Thanks.

a

4pickupguy likes this.
  20. 4pickupguy

Thanks! Well we have only used during cold weather so far. We use a space heater so we can turn off the noisy central unit to record. This summer we may have to get creative. The A/C duct runs right over the top of that closet in the attic so supplying some fresh air between takes might not be too hard.

bigguy12321 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.