DAW for editing/mixing only

highwaycat

Tele-Holic
I’m looking for tips on a new setup I’m planning.

I use an amp modeler and a rackmount efforts processor that I plug into my Boss br 1600 to record, I don’t use any effects on the br 1600.
I only record and mix on the boss recorder.

What if I used a daw for only mixing the recorded tracks?
I just got a laptop originally for very light office work, 11th gen i5 8 gb. Hoping I can find an easy way to use a daw on it.
Also considering getting a Tascam dp24, and hopefully continue mainly using a stand alone recorder.

I also really need to start using a drum software as the drum machine on the Boss is limited.

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
Reaper…. But if you want to jump to drums, etc. you could likely plug your modeller in and go all DAW.

Reaper has got all the edit tools, stock mastering plugins, etc. stacks of tutorials. Not demanding on system.

Cakewalk/Bandlab is another option. The free browser version of bandlab is actually really really good. drop in the stems and mix, automate, export, publish. Our band use it all the time to collaborate.

I have a Tascam DP32 but mix on PC .. just easier and the Tascam works like a USB stick.. so drag and drop stems.

Last edited:

GreatDaneRock

Tele-Afflicted
8 GB of HD space? I'm sorry but there's not much you can do with that kind of hard disk space if multitrack recording and mixing.

I think, can you use these stand-alone recorders as audio interfaces no? If so you could actually record directly to the computer provided you have enough hard disc space and memory to handle recording duties. Mixing is even more resource-intensive, more so than recording. You start adding effects, plugins, and you start using internal memory quick.

klasaine

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
8 gb is probably (usually) referring to the RAM memory. Most likely has 256 gb or more of hardisk space.

Anyway, to the OP ... +1 on Reaper or even GarageBand. GB has decent drums but if you want to still record via the BR1600 you'll need to program them on your computer and then bounce them out to the Boss.

highwaycat

Tele-Holic
8 gb is probably (usually) referring to the RAM memory. Most likely has 256 gb or more of hardisk space.

Anyway, to the OP ... +1 on Reaper or even GarageBand. GB has decent drums but if you want to still record via the BR1600 you'll need to program them on your computer and then bounce them out to the Boss.
Thanks I think for now I should focus on bouncing new drum sounds to the boss br. I can do everything I need on the boss but the drum software would be great.
As to mixing I usually just do panning and automation, and want to dive in dragging and pasting as the boss is slower at this.
It’s a yoga i7.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
Yeah get something like EZDrummer 2. You can easily throw together a scratch drum track. Bounce that to your stand alone. After recording your other tracks, send them all to your DAW. Mix everything and program drums the way you want them.

With 5 cores and 8 GB of RAM make sure you use FX sends and busses to save on CPU.

highwaycat

Tele-Holic
Thanks I got the EZDrummer free trial and downloaded Audacity.
So far I’m getting away without a daw but I’ll want to program a synth. Would a synth on reaper be too demanding for my laptop?

beagle

Poster Extraordinaire
So far I’m getting away without a daw but I’ll want to program a synth. Would a synth on reaper be too demanding for my laptop?

It shouldn't be, I was using a much lower spec machine than yours until very recently

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm

no. There are plenty of free synth VSTs that will work fine. I recycle my kids cheap cast off old laptops for music. All run reaper and my VSTs fine.

Learn early on how to freeze tracks so they are not always processing drums, synths, fx in real time.

suthol

Friend of Leo's
Learn early on how to freeze tracks so they are not always processing drums, synths, fx in real time.

this +100

Some plugins are processing hogs so once you have the instrument track sorted render & freeze and remove all the plugins from the muted original track

Last edited:

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
I started recording with Audacity. Then moved over to Reaper. Reaper has a lot of great things to do in the mixing phase. I'm really liking it.

I just got done mixing a song with a crap ton of tracks. I think there are over 50. I was having a heck of a time to get it to sound good. But the eqing in Reaper has a lot to offer and helped out a lot. I even used some of the presets on things. I don't usually do that but I'm starting to see there is some merit to some of them.

Anyways.... Good luck. Have fun. And post up your music for us to hear!!! :) If you want.