David Ruffin's Greatest Contribution To The Temptations... Other than His Voice?

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister
I didn't realize there was to be an exam today. Embarrassingly I find myself woefully unprepared. Was it his songwriting, or is that too easy an answer?

Unfortunately I always think of Rick James' Super Freak now when I hear "Temptations" mentioned.

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister
Haa, no exam.. David was mostly responsible for the famous four mikes on one stand that made the Temps even more famous.
Since I didn't see a single music video until the Sept 81 launch of MTV, and never saw the Temptations until a state fair appearance in the mid-80s, they somehow became famous to me without the four mikes on one stand thingy that I am just now learning about. If I were David, I wouldn't hang my hat on that particular mike stand. ;)

ghostwolf

Tele-Holic
Saw the Temps on a bill with Gladys Knight, and The Staple Singers.
Mavis & Pop opened, good lord that woman has a voice. The Temps were awesome, tight, together, and "on" that night. They were touring behind "Papa Was A Rolling Stone"
Someday, the hairs on the back of my neck that Gladys Knight raised *may* lay back down. What an amazing finish to a great show.
There were some cool aspects to growing up in Detroit during the 50s & 60s, right up to 1967...