David Rawlings is a monster

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity

"Honey Now" also has the distinction of being perhaps the raunchiest song in their catalog.

I think Georgia Road is a contender.

The thing that's amazing to me is that Gillian is able to write believably from a man's point of view. How the hell does she do that? I knew a gastroenterologist who used to book acts into a classy room in Fort Worth called Upstairs at the White Elephant. He and I went round on David vs Gillian-who was the most talented? His take was that without David, Gillian was nothing. David was the show. My take was that she's one of the most talented writers ever and what good is a great accompanist without a great song?
Nowadays I think they're both amazing and together they're more than the sum of their parts etc...but I still think that Gillian doesn't get the respect she deserves sometimes.

Who can write a more perfect song about writing a song than this?

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, seems like Epi tried to cash in on his success - unfortunately, those Epi Masterbuilt "archtops" must be some of the worst guitars of this millennium - they look nice from a distance (that matte finish looks extremely plastic-y up close...), but sound like they are made from wet cardboard - which is no wonder, since there is almost no arch to the pressed top.
Also, piezo pickups (like on these Epis) sound even worse in archtops than in flattops.

I was really excited when those were released - and really disappointed when I got to try a couple... My cheapo Loar LH300 sounds sooo much better it isn't even funny.

I must not have been the only one who felt like this - Epi discontinued them after a really short production run, and you can still find plenty of those in stores, usually heavily discounted - seems like almost nobody wanted to buy one...

I respect your opinion, and having an LH300 and a reissue Zenith (with round hole), have to agree that the Loar sounds much better. But the Epi I have is a pretty nice guitar with a unique "in between" tone, shows impeccable build quality, and is just plain beautiful. I've thought about selling it various times, but whenever I pick it up again I just can't follow through. If they had just built these reissues with a solid, carved top, they would have been killer.

I thought they were discontinued, too, but I keep seeing new ones on Reverb. I don't know if they're old stock or what. The ones listed as "new" are asking "new" prices.

Alex W

Friend of Leo's
I think Georgia Road is a contender.

The thing that's amazing to me is that Gillian is able to write believably from a man's point of view. How the hell does she do that? I knew a gastroenterologist who used to book acts into a classy room in Fort Worth called Upstairs at the White Elephant. He and I went round on David vs Gillian-who was the most talented? His take was that without David, Gillian was nothing. David was the show. My take was that she's one of the most talented writers ever and what good is a great accompanist without a great song?
Nowadays I think they're both amazing and together they're more than the sum of their parts etc...but I still think that Gillian doesn't get the respect she deserves sometimes.

Who can write a more perfect song about writing a song than this?

I don't know who is the more talented of the duo but IMO the combo is more than the sum of the parts. They have this much in common with Gary Louris & Mark Olson, and Lennon & McCartney. One thing that has impressed me multiple times is how they can write a new song that I initially perceive to be an old standard. I don't know what qualities that entails, perhaps that elegant simplicity that makes a song seem like it's always existed? I dunno but I love it. Some examples: Orphan Girl, Barroom Girls, Red Clay Halo

another electric guitar GW song:

Last edited:

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
He and I went round on David vs Gillian-who was the most talented? His take was that without David, Gillian was nothing. David was the show. My take was that she's one of the most talented writers ever and what good is a great accompanist without a great song?
I don't know how you can really separate and compare them, I don't think I have ever heard them make any music without the other one right there by their side singing harmony. Their music is a product of their collaboration. Which is the essential and best part of a bowl of corn flakes, the corn flakes or the milk?

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
Nashville Obsolete is my favorite, Poor David's Almanac not far behind; Friend of a Friend ain't bad, either.

Nashville is mostly long songs in the shaggy dog mode, Poor is mostly his/their take on Appalachian trad music, and Friend is a mix.

D.H.

Just ordered Nashville Obsolete.

Cheers,
Geoff

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't know how you can really separate and compare them, I don't think I have ever heard them make any music without the other one right there by their side singing harmony. Their music is a product of their collaboration. Which is the essential and best part of a bowl of corn flakes, the corn flakes or the milk?

The link of mine you just quoted has Gillian singing solo. ;)

I’ve heard in Dave in interviews say that a large part of his style came from fleshing out Gil’s songs. They’ve been making music together a long time.

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
The link of mine you just quoted has Gillian singing solo. ;)

I’ve heard in Dave in interviews say that a large part of his style came from fleshing out Gil’s songs. They’ve been making music together a long time.

She is a great songwriter, but his playing adds so much

His simple, yet elegant playing here just elevates this to another level. The solo could not be more understated and perfect.