David Rawlings is a monster

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
Nobody else sounds like him. Or, put another way, he sounds totally unique to me.

But, I only know him through Gillian Welch. I know nothing of the stuff he’s put out under his own name or the Machine. So please post some of that stuff.

A couple of my recent to me favourites Under Gillian’s name:

Cheers,
Geoff

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Yeah, he’s mind blowingly good.

I hardly ever read those ‘most underrated ~’ threads, but I feel like he would feature on a ‘guitarist’ one.

I’m out and about now, so can’t find the link, but there’s a great live performance video of Welch & him at some hall in England.

Oh, wait. Getting a better signal now. Here:

Pax/
Dean

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
Dave does so many things well and he makes it sound easy-the sign of a true Jedi master. His right hand cross picking is great but it's his use of intervals that blows me away. Rather than take up sonic space with bends or power chords he uses intervals-especially close ones like a minor second on adjacent strings that I haven't heard anyone else use to that extent. His solos are mini compositions that really show an understanding of the instrument. Like on Acony Bell, the head/solo is all out of a D chord shape with a descending line in the middle surrounded by sympathetic notes-clever and effective.

I too am a huge fan.

Here's an interview.

Last edited:

RomanS

Poster Extraordinaire
They're still cool though. Epiphone re-issued them a few years ago since Dave has driven the value of vintage models through the roof, haha.

Yeah, seems like Epi tried to cash in on his success - unfortunately, those Epi Masterbuilt "archtops" must be some of the worst guitars of this millennium - they look nice from a distance (that matte finish looks extremely plastic-y up close...), but sound like they are made from wet cardboard - which is no wonder, since there is almost no arch to the pressed top.
Also, piezo pickups (like on these Epis) sound even worse in archtops than in flattops.

I was really excited when those were released - and really disappointed when I got to try a couple... My cheapo Loar LH300 sounds sooo much better it isn't even funny.

I must not have been the only one who felt like this - Epi discontinued them after a really short production run, and you can still find plenty of those in stores, usually heavily discounted - seems like almost nobody wanted to buy one...

Last edited: