David Knopfler

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by zimbo, Aug 19, 2015.

1. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

It looks like David Knopfler is coming out with some new music. He mentions looking to buy studio time. It kind of looks like he and his brother Mark still aren't on speaking terms. Mark has his own studio. You'd think he would cut his brother a good deal. Seems unfortunate that they are still
    fighting after all these years. I like David's playing and singing on this track. His finger style is very similar to Mark's.

2. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

Seems a bit sad selling things off to record a album that probably no one will buy anyway

3. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

It's a shame that he always was in the shadow of his brother and that they're still not on speaking terms after all this time but, to be honest, why can't he just do what most of us do - bite the bullet and pay for the thing himself - it's not like he's going to sell hundreds of thousands of CD's quickly. He could do what I've done and spend less than $5000 to set up a half decent home studio, record it there and get a few hundred CD's made to sell at gigs, put the album up on iTunes and everywhere else that people go to download music these days.

If he's lucky and sells all the CD's then he's got some cash to get some more made - and so it goes.

And don't use session players who need to be paid upfront - he must know a few friends who would do it for nothing or at 'mates rates'

I don't agree with this crowd funding thing - why would people pay you for something that might not eventuate? It doesn't make any sense to me. I know some folk have made it work but it seems like begging to me.

Maybe that's why he is where he is today........

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

We saved our band tip money for 2 years and paid for studio time and production. You don't have to use the most expensive studio to get a great recording.

5. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

i agree. i have seen several artists that i'm a fan of, and have purchased cds by, use this method recently. it just rubs me the wrong way. i know the music "industry" has imploded and studio money is just not there anymore. but with today's computer technology (Pro Tools, etc) just record it at home.

6. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Looks to me to be more a PR thing than anything else.

7. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I don't quite agree .. Jim Campilongos latest is crowd funded and it reached it's first goal (small studio package) within days and ended up with the crowd paying for the highest goal. If the fan base is there and they prefer the record to be recorded in a large studio instead of at home then why insist om something less.

Depending on donation they receive anything from a download of the record (which basically equal the price of buying it from itunes) to an intimate concert at their home. And yes with some smaller acts it might never happen but hey .. everything is a gamble in life.

8. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

Having started at the top pretty much, perhaps he can't imagine any other way of working, but I don't think the video clip is doing him any favours.

9. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

His brother must really dislike him.

10. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That was quite cheesy. I winced throughout.

11. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

One of the big changes that the withdrawal of big studio money has made is in the ability of an artist to promote and publicise any recording they've made.

In Jim Campilongo's case I think it's true to say that there are a substantial number of people who would love for his music to be brought to the attention of a wider audience. Helping to pay for an album is a step in that process.

As good an artist as Mark Knopfler might be, I don't sense that groundswell of support necessary to bring a project of this kind to fruition.

In this new musical lanscape, artists like Knopfler might do better to self finance and produce an album, leaving all available funds to promote the results both to the industry and direct to consumers. It's a fairly well trodden route and I'm surprised that he isn't aware of it.

12. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

If it doesn't get recorded at all, the probably that no one will buy it rises beyond the level of probability to one of certainty.

13. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

But as I pointed out before, it doesn't cost a fortune to set up a half decent home studio if someone has a burning desire to get their music out to the world. High quality products have come out of simple studio set ups.

The hard part is getting the final product out and into the world so that people get to hear it. That's where he should be focussing any money he might be able to scrounge out of people.

14. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

I couldn't agree more.

Now, I wouldn't mind having my own British Grove as Mark Knopfler has to play in, but I don't think that such a playground is absolutely necessary anymore. Nice? Sure. But necessary for a quality end result? Methinks, perhaps, not.....

A friend I know from my seminary days back in the early '90s forged a career as a contemporary Christian music artist. This pal of mine still has the radio airplay; had the major lable recording contracts, and so on. I've played on this pal's projects many times over the years, sometimes doing my thing in a pro studio in L.A. or Nashville. One of my friend's songs that still gets a fair amount of airplay appeared on a mostly-studio recorded album, but that particular track was something we did in my pal's modest home on a Fostex four-track "Porta-Studio" thing. Technology has most definitely marched onward since then.

The last of my friend's projects that I was involved with had most of the musicians whose playing appears on it doing their thing via Pro Tools in our own respective homes and "mailing in" our contributions.

I can't tell the difference in the end result, sound-quality wise, bewteen that last recording or anything we did in an L.A. or Nashville studio.

15. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Some of you seem to be getting your Davids and your Marks mixed up.

Aside from that, a quick google turned up interviews in which he (David) clearly mentions that he does have a home studio. And he has done something like 15 professionally recorded albums and managed to sustain a career as a professional musician for about 40 years, including being part of one of the biggest bands on the planet.

I don't know his solo music and haven't watched the clip above, so I have no opinion about his personality or his music, but from his track record I'd say he probably knows what he's doing and doesn't need any lectures from weekend warriors.

Crowd funding is just another form of investment. Like all investments it carries risks and the investor needs to do their home work, assess the risks and invest wisely. If you don't like it, don't invest. It's called freedom.

16. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

Setting aside the fact that one still needs to buy stuff to do that, it doesn't mean you'll know what to do with it. I've heard a lot of stuff people recorded at home that sound exactly like....someone got a couple of cheap mics and recorded an album at home.

IMO what you are really paying for in a studio is are the skills of someone who knows how to record. That's the hard part. Getting it out there simply involves paying a place to press some CDs and then getting it on various places online.

I'm sure Mark Knopfler has no problem funding recordings....this is David Knopfler.

It's not an investment, it's buying something before it's made. If the funding goal isn't reached, people end up paying nothing, if it is they get exactly what they paid for. (Assuming everyone is honest....). My band did a kickstarter to finish our CD, we got the funds we needed and the donors got the CDs, T-****rs, and whatever else they paid for. (But I'll say this, there's no way it would have sounded as good if we tried to do it ourselves.)

I've also contributed to a couple book projects, same deal but from the other side.

17. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

As someone who doesn't even qualify as a weekend warrior I still reserve the right to comment on a video posted onto public media, esp. one that's asking for my and anyone else's money.

Mea Culpa. Memo to self: Review before posting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.