1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

David Gilmour's birthday today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thecableguy, Mar 6, 2013.

1. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

Old bugger is 67 today and still rocks it! One of my all time favorite players.

2. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

thanks for all the tunes

3. Jackson Jackson

Jackson Jackson Friend of Leo's

My favorite guitarist of all-time!

4. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Mine, too.

5. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

Great player! Great sound! Happy Birthday Mr Gilmour!

Thanks for the best sounding pickups my Strat has ever had!

6. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

ooops...i forgot to get him a present!

7. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

just a momentary lapse of reason

8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

wots...uh the deal?

9. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

He's definitely my favorite guitarist of all time by a wide margin.
    His talent lies not so much in his technique,speed or accuity but in his sheer artistry and imagination. After the Beatles and Abbey Road's piece of music and recording, he and Roger Waters took off from where that leaves off......at least for me. The White Album, Abbey Road and Dark Side of The Moon, after lifting the arm of the old RCA Hi-Fi, were like nothing done before them. There's really only a few bands and records in Rock History that mean as much as to me as the Licks he played with Floyd. I've pretty much worn them all out these days, but in terms paving new ground historically, artistically and sonically, none have surpassed his tastey licks. He definitely had the secret, a whole saucer full of them.

10. snakestrecher$

snakestrecher$ Tele-Meister

I could listen to shine on all day long. Love his playing. Probably the first band I got into that made me wanna play

http://youtu.be/WQlG07bOQUE

11. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

He just picks all the right notes.

By the way, Dark Side of The Moon had it's 40th anniversary on the first.

12. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

He's one of my all-time favorite guitarists. He'll always be in the top 3.

It's also the seventh anniversary of the release of On An Island. Time to get back into the studio!

13. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

Happy B-day, David!

14. bondmorkret

bondmorkret TDPRI Member

What a legend, happy birthday dude. Keep on nailing those bends ;)

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Happy Birthday, Mr. Gilmour!

16. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

My favourite too - by a wide margin. Happy birthday, Mr. Gilmour (really should be Sir David, by now. If not for the music then the huge donation to a homeless charity should have done the trick).

Can't believe it's been seven years since “On an Island”. He's rumoured to be working on new music, let's hope we hear it soon.

17. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

If Clapton is god then Gilmour is his dad.

18. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Not a big fan but not for lack of trying...? Old galpal really liked PF but they just bored me to death.

Just never thought as much of him (guitarist-wise) as most other do. Most definitely would not put him in the same sentence as EC! Not even in the same zip code.

Happy belated Bday nonetheless.

19. MaryBelle

MaryBelle TDPRI Member

20. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Everyone's entitled to an opinion and I respect that.
    But you might need to go watch the "Delicate Sound Of Thunder DVD then make that call on comparing him to EC, whom I also love.

First off, they are not even in the same ball park from a genre standpoint, at least in my mind. The closest EC ever got to sonic exploration was with Cream where he pretty much ended it all too. Then came his easy listening somewhere between pop, country, rockabilly and blues 20 years of career. Then his dramatic resurgence in the early 90's where he wrote some great material. and re-hashed some more. But having seen them both over their entire careers, EC and DG are both good. But DG's got chops that EC just can't do mentally. They have genius in their respective areas, but impossible to compare. Kind of like comparing Jimmy Page and Gilmour, just can't really be done. The thing I admire about gilmour is his sense of melody and creative ways to take fairly simple phrasing to make it only his and his alone. I've never seen him make a mistake playing live, not even one bad note when improvising. Then his lap steel work and what he did with that from a sonic perspective is further evidence of his melodic genius. He did for Sonic landscape, what Waters did with lyrics, though DG penned and sang a nice package of material as well.

I think 9 out of 10 people would rate DG as every bit EC's equal at a minimum.
    I guess where EC has him beat is EC is just EC and can be EC with any band he puts together. Thats much more difficult for DG, because part of his power was in the vehicle of the Pink Floyd. Take DG from Pink Floyd, he's not the same animal by a longshot, he needs them and they need him. EC is definitely got him beat as a solo artist, that I give you, but that's also why they are hard to compare. But to many folks EC's prime was really his short stint with Cream, that was his Pink Floyd, which he never should have broken up. Breaking up Cream was EC's worst move career wise, but with an irrepressible ego, he excelled anyway. Once being proclaimed "God" can do that for someone, or crush them as well. Some say it did a little of both to EC. That all said I love EC, who is probably the single biggest influence in my guitar playing life. His stuff is easier to glean because you don't need a Pink Floyd band to play his tunes, before and and after Cream.

You'd need one helluva bassist and drummer to do Cream an ounce of justice, nevermind the vocals.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.