1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

David Gilmour... underrated vocalist?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by gregulator450, Feb 26, 2021.

1. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My son and I have heard several songs from Division Bell this last week while driving around and it got me to thinking, not only may Division Bell be my favorite Floyd album, but David Gilmour is a pretty great singer. I know he didn't do all the lead singing on the album, but his voice sounds great when he does. I am glad they continued to write and record after splitting with Roger Waters.

2. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

The Division Bell is probably my 2nd or 3rd least favourite album (although in High Hopes it has a good contender for one of their top 10 tracks) but Gilmour’s singing throughout his career is stellar. Since A Saucerful Of Secrets he’s been the best singer in the band. Certainly never under-rated in that respect in this household!

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Gilmour vocals in Floyd are underrated but he doesn’t have a great voice per se. Being a vocalist is not just about having a great voice. It’s also about phrasing and expression.
    I’m a big fan.
    He’s easily in my top 5 favorite guitarist and I can't imagine anyone else singing in Floyd.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Interestingly, my sons love his voice as well and think he's just gotten better with time.

Bob

5. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Properly rated as an all time great guitarist, but certainly still underrated as a singer/frontman. I much prefer his voice to Roger's, but of course every ingredient in that Floyd lineup's sound was essential. While we're on it, Rick's voice is also absolutely beautiful.

6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

He does have an interesting voice: not very flexible but it’s got character.

When he sings he looks quite uptight, and it doesn’t seem easy for him though: maybe that’s the reason why he’s hardly seen as a singer / frontman.

His raw and simple singing is a very nice counterpoint to his guitar playing that can get quite lyrical.
    It makes an interesting balance to my ears, especially on later Floyd albums like The Division Bell indeed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.