1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

David Crosby memorializes Eddie Van Halen with "meh"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Oct 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

RomanS, Brendan, Deathray and 4 others like this.
  2. Broadmoor74

Broadmoor74 Tele-Meister

So he says he posted “meh” because his music didn’t really mean anything to him. Then why go to social media to even post it???? Tells me he was actively trying to get a reaction.

And his “apology” doesn’t even make any sense to me.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We all have opinions.
    Some of us share them freely, perhaps too freely.
    Crosby and EVH had/have similar addictive personalities, as do lots of us.
    We all occasionally show our ass.
    Crosby’s comment/tweet/whatever was ill considered, and unnecessary.
    So was his later comment attempting to back pedal, a little.
    Anyways, all of “us” Boomers are “short timers” now.
    I’ll take this as a lesson.
    I sometimes run my mouth for no apparent good reason, too.

4. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

To be fair, the 'meh' was in response to the music, not the death.

saltyseadog, rand z, Wally and 17 others like this.
  5. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Par for the course with David. Here's a recent headline:
    Graham Nash: 'The truth is, none of us are speaking to David'

Tonetele, Deeve, SAguitar and 2 others like this.
  6. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jerks will be jerks.

gregulator450 likes this.
  7. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Two things: One, he said he didn't realize at the time he posted the meh that EVH had just died. Two, this is David Crosby, who speaks his mind about everybody and everything.

I've followed him on Twitter for a while now, and I've seen him answer this way a lot. People ask him "What do you think about [name of artist goes HERE]," and he often says Meh or Not my thing or The bass player's timing is off or something similar. And other times, he tells you he loves whoever it is and why.

If you want someone polite and gracious and concerned with everyone's feelings, Croz is not your guy. If you want to know exactly what he thinks, ask away.

Wally, smartsoul72, 41144 and 14 others like this.
  8. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

He's a pretty well known douche

9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

This story is 3 days old now, and honestly when it comes to EVH, why would anyone care about Crosby thinks on this-

( edit- I love CSN&Y, but Crosby has always been a d**k)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  10. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Who's David Crosby? He looks like the crypt keeper's dad.

Wallace Snr and Despres like this.
  11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Being politically correct and respectful is getting lost on social media, if not everywhere these days. I basically know very little about EVH, because it was at the end of the 70s that I turned off the radio for about 15 years. You can draw your own conclusions, because I don't care and it doesn't matter.

Greggorios, Gene O., Rowdyman and 3 others like this.
  12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Crosby wasn't asked to "memorialize" EVH; stating it that way is editorializing. Crosby was asked what he thought of EVH. Fair answer to a dumb question, IMO. Hell, maybe he didn't even know that EVH had died...but even if he did, I still don't see how it's possibly offensive to anyone that one famous musician from the folk-rock genre doesn't much care for frat-boy, middle-American-goober rock from the '80s (which I do like, FWIW) – be that frat rocker recently deceased or not. Again, Crosby was not asked for his thoughts on the death of EVH. He was rather unprofessionally and informally asked for his opinion of EVH in general...and he answered honestly. This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

13. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

meh

14. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It was a total d**k move. He was asked and he has no duty to lie, but he could have very easily given an honest answer that was also compassionate and decent.

"Van Halen's music was never my cup of tea, but Eddie's impact on the guitar world and music in general cannot be denied. My best to his family and his fans."

See how easy that was? If he didn't know at the moment that EVH had passed, he could have omitted the second sentence.

"Meh" is about the most passive-aggressive utterance in the English language. It's a specific utterance (a word, basically, rather than a grunt or some other noise) meant to convey exactly nothing. He made an intentional effort to go out of his way to be dismissive and express indifference. Whether that's regarding EVH's music or his death (if he even knew about it at the time) or any other subject, it's a jerk move.

And dragging out the well-rotted corpse of the horse that is complaining about "PC" doesn't really help him. To paraphrase something I read elsewhere, if the best defense of what you said is that it is not literally illegal to say it (a reference to an invocation of one's First Amendment rights), that doesn't do much credit to what you have to say. The right to be a ***** doesn't make him any less of a *****.

jman72, Deeve and blowtorch like this.
  15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Extremely talented mega-egomaniac walking on two legs. If you can imagine, he feels superior to all, until someone gets more attention. Then he's ready to unleash all the vicious reasons they/you/all are flawed and inferior. Only an extreme out of control ego, would have a hasbeenabe this delusional about his importance. Look at how his band mates address him. Look at his pie-eyed casual admission that his closest friends and fam won't talk to him anymore. I loved some of the music, and I truly thought he was a great frontman all three times I saw CSN, but the truth revealed later, just ruined it all. Now, it all sounds trite, gratuitous, and over-important, music, lyrics, voice and all.

secretsoundz, Frodebro and blowtorch like this.
  16. Munchie99

Have you just now heard of David Crosby? That piece of dialogue you're assigning to him is straight from a politician's speechwriter's iPhone. David Crosby is a well-known dick. He's also a monster musician and cultural figure, and he's 79 years old. You can't expect him to be anybody but who he is. Let's see what you're like when you're 79. I'm 66. Get off my lawn!

rand z, Erebia and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

it was crosby's weird 'jimi is better' thing. He is a grandpa at this point. The only thing that should be surprising is that anyone asked him the question. Like a lot of seniors, they don't really get the magnitude of Twitter and they use it as if no one was paying attention. I have never really been a fan of Crosby, but, when he passes, I will be gracious because, well, he doesn't deserve it.

18. Munchie99

One more question: Do you think Eddie Van Halen would be offended and calling Crosby a dick? Calling him a dick, yeah sure, and he'd be laughing.

19. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I just added him to my list for next month’s edition of the “bands you hate that everybody loves” thread!!!

20. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

“Meh” is pretty much how I feel about moderately talented hippie music that CSNY made too.

EVH wasn’t my biggest cup of tea either, but at the same time I recognize what an innovator and hugely influential guitarist he was. And he could do things that could flat out make your jaw drop.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.