David Crosby - Facing the End

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Deeve, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hippies use side door !

Far out !

2. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

But the Boomer generation WAS the YUPPIE generation. Those who were in their teens and twenties in the 60s were, do the math, in their 30's and 40's in the 80s. They grew up and started chasing money, as most generations of adults have done to one degree or another. The thing about the Boomers is it's such a HUGE generation of people that they've had an outsized impact on our culture at every step along the way. They were the counter-culture, they were the "me" generation, they were the yuppies, and now they're the backbone of the current political situation we find ourselves in. And, of course, ALL of this is a generalization, there were plenty of boomers who were never part of the counter-culture, never part of the "me" generation, never yuppies, and not part of the current political maelstrom. But a lot WERE and ARE.

I speak as a late-stage boomer, the younger brother of those we're talking about. A little too late to be a hippie (though I tried), a little too late to be part of the "me" generation (I was in high-school and in a sense EVERYONE in high school is part of a "me" generation), a little too late to be a yuppie (though I also tried), etc, etc, etc. Ironically, we late boomers are the biggest part of the whole demographic, which is what throws the reality off the arc of the narrative time and time again. But still, the counter-culture and the yuppies were the exact same people at different stages of their lives...

-Ray

Georox, Keefsdad and blowtorch like this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Same thing, as raysachs has pointed out.

hippys sold out.

oh, i mean, "bought in"

Keefsdad likes this.
  4. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

People with a history of alcohol abuse are eligible for a liver transplant after six months of sobriety. I haven't found any evidence to dispute or support Crosby's eligibility.

This post from Blowtorch suggests that Crosby jumped the line of people waiting for a transplant. I haven't found anything to support or dispute that either.

"Just hope that if you or a loved one ever need an organ transplant, that you're not bumped off your place on the waiting list by some mega-rockstar"

drlucky likes this.
  5. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

My question is: are his recent recordings any good?

6. blowtorch

I listened to some recent live performances on youtube.
    Based on that, I'd say: Nope.

All a matter of opinion, of course.

7. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

The recordings might be OK. R U on a h8te trip with this guy? LOL!!

Georox likes this.
  8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

YOUNG urban professionals. No they were the boomers kids reacting like Alex on Family Ties.

9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Generations aren't monolithic. They were the str8s.

10. blowtorch

Yeah, maybe. Could be.
    No hate, I just don't cut him slack like lots do. I always felt he was a bigger PITA than he was a talent. His gifts never overshadowed that, to me.

And at his age, the whole enfante terrible' schtick has worn mighty thin.

It's like, imagine Jim Morrisson was still with us, and STILL the Jim Morrisson we all knew? Yeeeeeesssshhhhhh

11. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Look, I have an older brother and sister who were in that first wave of boomers. Without getting into their complexities, I knew and know a fair number of their friends who were very much part of the counter-culture in the '60s and early '70s and were practicing law or medicine or selling stocks in the '80s. Not to say they all lost their ideals - they didn't. Some of them were practicing environmental law, practicing medicine is not an evil thing, there are many that believe or rationalize that selling stocks and bonds helps the economy live up to it's potential and is, thus, an egalitarian act. I'm not gonna argue the finer ethical point. But a LOT of those people were the same people. A lot of the people who became yuppies were in fact of the counter-culture in the 60's - it wasn't just the straights. And just as generations aren't monolithic, they also don't cleave along neat, preconceived lines either. And in the professional world, 30's and at least early 40's is considered "young". Michael J Keaton was a caricature, and he was in high school on that show, maybe into college, not a young professional.

Georox, Keefsdad and blowtorch like this.
  12. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I think there was an overlap. Some hippies did become CEO's.

Georox likes this.
  13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

With brilliance like that, we'll never make it to the Moon ;)

RadioFM74 likes this.
  14. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Moved to the head of the line. Brought to Hospital drunk from his boat got transplant days later. Need to be 6 mos abstemious. He wasn’t close.

blowtorch and Heathfinn like this.
  15. bcorig

16. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

It wasn't suppose to be that way... a lot of us had strong belief's, and still do.

I believe David did/does, too.

BTW. Where are the MODERATORS here!!??

17. blowtorch

And what would you have the moderators do?

BTW, you don't know, they may have been very busy in this thread.

18. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Where did you get this? He just said "I'm the Cros" and everybody moved aside? Maybe it's true, but no one is presenting any evidence, or sources for their info.

19. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic

It was an informative, interesting, and respectful thread until *someone* ruined it.

there's a good reason for their criteria for transplants - more than once I'm sure (I know of one) someone gets a liver then continues using (including drinking) and dies anyway - a waste of a life saving organ that there aren't enough of.

I'd like to see something factual about him "jumping the line"

I do know his biography was one helluva drugalog read. Just him being alive still is amazing.

But so was my life, so I'm far from judging him for that.

Georox and Keefsdad like this.
  20. bcorig

While I’m frustrated by my inability to verify in 2019 what seemed to be accepted around here when it happened I do recall reading a story describing the days before admission to the hospital that included these details.
    I don’t thinks its an unrealistic scenario that if a celebrity shows up in that condition and another is willing to drop the bucks accommodations would be made Mickey Mantle, Steve Jobs come to mind. I’ve been told first hand stories from various institutions that are consonant.
    I didn’t spin it from whole cloth as I have no reason to.
    The written account could have been scrubbed. Lots of things are scrubbed on the Internet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.