David Clayton Thomas Of Blood Sweat and Tears playing a Fender Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by IMMusicRulz, May 13, 2021.

1. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz TDPRI Member

And with Frank Zappa playing a Gibson guitar, no less. I think David Clayton Thomas owned a Fender Stratocaster too, but I can’t remember.

Given that it has a late Sixties early seventies look to it, my guess is that he probably bought this Fender Telecaster in the late Sixties, More specifically before he moved to New York from Canada.
    He played the lead guitar on the Blood Sweat and Tears song Go Down Gamblin. I think he also played a Gibson J200 acoustic guitar. But he put out an out of print jazz rock album in 1968, just months before he joined Blood Sweat and Tears. I found that album at a thrift store recently. I think Mike Stern played a Fender Telecaster in Blood Sweat and Tears before moving on to those custom made Yamaha Electric Guitars. He also owned a few Guild amps and a Fender Bassman amp. Interestingly, Mike Stern, the former Guitarist for Blood Sweat and Tears is actually the older half brother of actress Kyra Sedgwick.

Steve Katz played Guild guitars, a Gibson J200 acoustic guitar, a Gibson SG Electric guitar, and some Gibson ES 335 Electric guitar all played through a Fender Twin Reverb and Fender Bassman amp. But I think he also played a Fender Stratocaster. I listen to a lot of Blood Sweat and Tears recently, and I was amazed by the psychedelic fuzz guitar solo on More and More. The Guitar solo on that song has a somewhat Fender Stratocaster tone to it. Very Jimi Hendrix like sound. Steve Katz was also in to Guild amps too. Steve Katz also played a Fender Telecaster and a Gretsch White Falcon. I think I saw a picture from the Blood Sweat and Tears New Blood era of Steve Katz playing a Fender Stratocaster. Steve Katz also played a Hohner Harmonica. George Wadenius also played some Yamaha Electric guitar, a Fender Telecaster, a Fender Stratocaster and a Gibson Les Paul during his tenure in Blood Sweat and Tears. Much of those Guild amps were usually for print ads, but Jim Fielder played numerous Guild amps so I could be right about the Guild endorsement.
    My friend Oscar Smith owns a Fender Telecaster. They are great guitars.
    Here is the picture of David Clayton Thomas and Frank Zappa with their respective guitars.

Thanks

Attached Files:

black_doug, Geo, Lockback and 3 others like this.
  2. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

That looks like it might be Anysley Dunbar on drums so I'm guessing he's sitting in with the Mothers and it's the early 70's.

3. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

I saw Blood, Sweat & Tears live once. David Clayton-Thomas did indeed play guitar on "Go Down Gamblin'." Can't remember the model, but I think it was a Telecaster.

Steve Katz played what appeared to be a Gibson ES-335, but that was so long ago, it might have been a Guild Starfire. I do remember it was a red guitar.

He also played harmonica on "God Bless the Child," an unplayed guitar strapped on his shoulder.

The trombone player played a King tuba on one selection. We played King tubas when I was in college.

Very, very long time ago. Last date I had with anyone other than the woman who is now my wife, and we will have our 49th wedding anniversary next month.

4. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz TDPRI Member

You got
    you got it

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool pic, thanks!

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  6. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

It's not the Mothers. They were playing arenas by then.
    The caption for the photo is:
    David Clayton Thomas and Frank Zappa jamming at Toronto's Nickelodeon with members of Kristofferson band. 1973
    1973-06-xx Touch n4 35.jpg

peteycaster, Geo, IMMusicRulz and 2 others like this.
  7. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Excellent sleuthing. What a wild combo. I'd love to know how they all wound up on stage together.

And if they played "Sunday Morning Coming Down" :lol:

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    peteycaster and IMMusicRulz like this.
  8. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

DCT!!

What a fantastic singer that somehow fell off the map just like that.
    ??

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  9. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure but Zappa played the Gardens in May of 73 and the Mahavishnu Orchestra was the opening band which explains the picture of John. The Nick was a ten minute walk from the gardens so maybe it was after the show.
    Kris played Massey Hall the same week so I guess those are members of his band.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    peteycaster, IMMusicRulz and ElJay370 like this.
  10. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Still don't know who the drummer is but the bass player is Prakash John (Parliament , Lou Reed, Alice Cooper)
    Who said this:
    Yes that's me alright jamming with Zappa & David Clayton Thomas at the Nickelodeon (now the Hard Rock Cafe) in '73. Forgot all about that! Can't remember the drummer ... he was from a well known American band. That's not my bass ... probably belonged to the resident bassist.

I was at this series of gigs with my friend Ronnie Hawkins. A wider lens might have captured him side stage.

Thanks for the memory.

and evidently sent in the photo
    toronto 73 dct.jpg

11. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Great detective work here.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Wow, only one degree of separation from Kevin Bacon.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  13. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

On the first BS&T album, Child Is Father To The Man, the backwards guitar solo on My Days Are Numbered is credited to Ztak Evets. Took me years to realize that's Steve Katz spelled backwards.

SnidelyWhiplash and IMMusicRulz like this.
  14. black_doug

black_doug Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What a terrific band!

I've heard Prakash play in his son Jordon's band, and met him. Incredibly good player.

There's a Tele HOF in Toronto. Ed Bickert, Domenic Troiano, and now DCT.

Almost forgot Robbie Robertson.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    IMMusicRulz and warrent like this.
  15. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Pretty heavy modding to this tele - am I correctly seeing 3 pickups, with HB in the middle position? Not that common in the early 70's, right?

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  16. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

At least two but I don't know about the bridge. A tele middle pickup would have been rare for 73 I would think.
    DCT_CBC_1976.jpg

IMMusicRulz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.