David Allen amps....

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by GaryOsborne, Jan 5, 2015.

1. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Lol. Yeah. Luckily the guy said he'd hold it for me until I can sell my Deluxe. So depending on what I get for it, I might be able to swing it. If not the Chihuahua isn't a bad move.

2. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

So $1200 isn't too bad for one in good shape.

3. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

I grabbed the Chihuahua from TGP; had been considering for a bit.

But finally sold my Redplate, and this seems like a great choice for home!

[​IMG]

4. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Great score! Let me know how it sounds!
    I'm still fielding offers for the Deluxe Reverb. A guy wants to trade for a 12watt Fargen Blackbird with a master volume. I've never played Ben's amps before so idk how loud his 12 water would be.

Still want to hold out for the Sweet Spot though.

5. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I have not tried smaller Allen amps. Lusted after a Brown Sugar for years, lucked into an Encore head a long time ago. Not David Allen built, and actually built before he marketed kits. An amp savvy guy in CT persuaded David to sell him most of the parts and a schematic. He had the head shell built. Took a little tweaking later on to get it optimized, but the bottom line is this is the amp I've had the longest, and one I always love playing. The Raw knob and master volume together are an inspired touch. I've heard Accomplices, would love to try that or a sweet spot.

It's hard to go wrong with an Allen amp. His design sense is impressive. The Encore is a good example. It starts out Vibrolux Reverb but ends up being that and a bit more. No upgrades needed. He knew what he was doing.
    MD

6. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Yeah I gotta get this Sweet Spot. Luckily the guy is holding it. The guy that was trying to trade me the Blackbird is actually returning it so he said he might buy my deluxe. We'll see. The wheels keep spinning! Lol

7. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

My amp sold this morning. It's great but that means I have to make a decision now (not my strong suit).
    Here's what I'm looking at:

1. Allen Sweet Spot, 2005 David build. Price is $1200 shipped.

2. Allen Chihuahua. Built from a kit. I think the price is somewhere around $750.

3. Used Vintage Sound 15 or 20. I had a perfect one lined up for $1100 but it sold this morning so I'll have to look for another one.

4. Used Silverface Princeton Reverb or Blackface NR Princeton. I wish I could find a 68' drip edge PR but those seem to be around $1500 and I really don't want to spend any money. I found some drip edge NRs for like $1100 but idk if I'll do that. Anyone have a 68' NR Princeton? How are they?

It'd be cool to get the Chi and save a little cash. My amp sold for $1280 shipped which was like $1240 after fees and it'll be at least $80-$100 to ship it. I'm probably going to look around for a couple days. I really want to find something I like a lot. I don't want to buy another amp for a while (haaaaaaha).

8. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I forgot one.

Carr Sportsman. Price-$1250. Can probably get it a little lower as the guys not too far from me.

9. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Ive been lustin after an Allen amp for a while...you cant find a negative review on them bad boys anywhere.
    Good luck Gary, cant wait to hear what you decide
    cheers

10. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Listen to your sweet tooth.

Sweet Spot.

11. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

I built (and sent back to David so he could un-build my mistakes and re-build again) the Chihuahua. I love it. I gig with it. It has an external speaker jack that allows me to add a 1x12 cab to for larger rooms. I can't describe how lovely it is to my ears.

12. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

Chihuahua seems like a great amp for home use. champ on steroids. good luck on your musical amp journey. what did you not like about the amp you could of wrote a book about just to get it. heh. to loud? to big? i notice you have to keep your amp small looking to appeal to the club owners these days.. which seems silly. but i guess they pay the bills. good luck man. i hope this one is the last amp you have to go through the hassle of getting. its more fun to play than playing the wait game with the mail man. o yeah they let me out of the hospital yesterday.. yay me. LOL
    chris.

13. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Not to hijack... Glad you are out of the hospital, hope you are feeling ok Chris.

14. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Hope you're feeling better buddy. That's more important than any of this crap.

But yeah the Deluxe was pretty loud. I actually got a complaint about it recently in a club and that's never happened before. It was something like "sounds great but it's too damn loud! You should get one of those Doctor Zs". I try to be nice to the sound guys but pretty much any Z would murder this Deluxe in Volume. I should find a Remedy head/cab to show up with next week and say, "hey, I got a Z!"

I've just been trending towards Princeton-type amps for a long time and it seems like it's the way to go for me. I'm pretty sure they can handle any of my gigs and they're great at home too.

15. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I am always sad to see a Deluxe Reverb sold :lol:

The speaker was too loud. The speaker in mine is around 95 dB, making it almost half the volume of yours, it is perfect for basically everything. (Always miced here)

When you end up with a beefed up Princeton Reverb tone monster at 15 watts, don't put a 102 dB speaker in it, people will tell you you're too loud once again.

It's disappointing to interact with clueless sound guys. Luckily it hasn't happened to me too often.

16. DaBender

DaBender Tele-Afflicted

You got $1200 for your Deluxe and there is a Sweet Spot available for $1200? These dots don't seem too hard to connect.

17. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Yup. :cool:

You sure it's still available? Pretty sure I heard from the guy who bought it.

$1100 for a drip edge non- reverb Princeton is a rip- off IMO. The only reason they're so expensive is because Princeton Reverbs are expensive and in turn Princeton Reverbs are expensive 'cuz a lotta sellers are in it for everything they can get.

Don't do it. You're heading down the path where you're making a compromise you really don't want to make which is inevitably gonna result in more GAS... especially since it's your job to buy all the gear between Tallahassee and Tucson.

Maybe not so much your job as your destiny. :D

You get paid for a job. Destiny is what it is. :D

It's not a drip edge but there's a non- reverb Princeton near here for $600. It's the same circuit as '68 without the cloth wiring.

18. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I'm just waiting for the money to be in my acct. Every time I get a pymt through PayPal it auto transfers to my bank acct (which is usually good). But I forgot to turn it off, it would've been easier to leave it in there and just pay the other guy.

19. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Lol. It's going to a good home I think. I just always think I'm going to need more vol/headroom and it ends up being too loud.
    With the sweet spot the guy said I could have the stock speaker (Emi RWBs) or the speaker in it now which is a WGS G12C. Not super familiar with either one but I've wanted to try the WGS stuff for a while. Might leave it.

20. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

That WGS G12C is a fine speaker. I'd go with that one.
    MD

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.