1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Daves guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by golfnut, Mar 14, 2020.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Something like fret wear can be subjective to personal preference as to what constitutes excessive wear. Some people are so obsessive about their guitars they have very little tolerance. And possibly the sales person that evaluated the guitar has way more tolerance as to what constitutes excessive wear.
    I'm not necessarily defending them but if thats the worst deal you've had in 12 years then you've been very lucky.
    Since you are in the US would it not have been easy for you to return the guitar to them to have them perform some fret work on it?

twangdude likes this.
  2. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Whats your number 1?

3. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

Out of curiosity, what was the bad experience with Wildwood? I recently purchased a CS guitar from them and thought their service was excellent. I purchased from Dave's two years ago they were great to deal with also. I've also heard others who had nothing but good things to say about Wildwood.

4. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I've bought two used guitars from Dave's and have been really happy. Both guitars were very fairly priced and actually competed with local Craigslist. Guitars arrived in exceptional condition, one actually looked better than the photos It was a PRS CU24 Floyd Rose flame burst and they had problems with dust particles against black in the bright lighting. One had a signed multi point test card. The CU24 didn't but was impeccably set up and very playable with the lowest action of any of my guitars, it took a bit of time to get used to because it was low enough that the strings tended to go under my fingers in bends. Obviously set up for shredding.

I'm always watching their new arrivals and gassing over stuff outside of my budget. I expect my next guitar will be from them again. Pricing is great and I don't have to deal with meeting unpredictable local sellers on craigslist while getting competitive used pricing with more piece of mind if there is a problem.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  5. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I bought 2 guitars from them...

Dave's is Ok.

They have quite a good reputation and would never want to screw it up.

IMO.

6. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

A 2015 black '56 RI Stratocaster I bought used from them in 2017. Best deal I ever got on a guitar. Was meant to be a back up the R8 I was using at the time. This guitar has made me rethink everything gear wise

86F2A6FB-512E-4DDD-872C-895BE03F957A.jpeg

RodeoTex and Skydog1010 like this.
  7. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Short answer - Dave's is a great vendor I bought a Stratocaster from on Reverb. I would buy from again. Almost bought an Ocean Turquoise JM from them at Christmas time this past year. Now that it's tax refund time...maybe I will now! :twisted:

The long answer is a bit more complicated and actually a bit convoluted. I bought a NOS open box MIM Burst Standard Strat, with what I thought was a Maple/Maple Neck. Received a MIM Burst Strat with exact grain pattern as shown in photo with the most wonderful Rosewood finger board maple neck. Light as a feather, plays and sounds like a dream. Had a small crunch mark on top (left hand side/bass side) bout) in the black paint, actually went a couple weeks before I ever saw it, the first time. The setup was perfect and fast, strings were new. Couldn't keep my hands off the guitar. I eventually swapped out the pickguard/pups/electrics and neck. (pretty much the way I play musical guitar parts (pun intended). Wound up putting the neck back on that body. It is without a doubt one of my most frequently played guitars.

Immediately after Reverb transaction: After about a week of not seeing the purchased and paid for guitar ship, I inquired with them, I was told they have several stores and they were shuffling inventory to get my guitar to the location they shipped from. Kudos to whomever put this partscaster together as the serial number did not "bring up" a guitar factory build when I registered the received product. Check it out, notice it's plugged into an amp right now. When I called about the crunch mark they said ship it back for full refund, which was more than 100.00 below fair market value for used MIM - I said I'll keep it, smiled and hung up the phone. Glad I did.

She's stuck in the middle.

IMG_20200316_152851.jpg

8. blueruins

blueruins Tele-Meister

Dave’s is a good place. I have a great Gretsch Jet from them that came ready to play.
    Quick shipping and good communication.

9. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've dealt with Dave's on a 50's Classic Tele. Guitar was used and in better shape than I expected.

I love their T-shirts too.

10. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

I've dealt with Dave's since last century. Never a problem.

11. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I lived right around the corner from the original LaCrosse location for a year back in the 90’s.

Dave was a great guy, who always went way above and beyond to help out the local working players. I’ll never forget how well I was treated by both him, and his staff. Great folks all around.

I did all my gear hounding with them while I was there, and have since bought several items through the mail. I’d never hesitate to buy from them if they had what I wanted.

imwjl likes this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

They're a good business overall and all over but the flagship store is a whole other thing. A place worth visiting just to see his collection that's really a museum.

My experiences have been tremendous. Quality stuff, quality staff, competent service & repair. It's hard to believe a place a across from a Mississippi River slough is so amazing. People make trips from afar including famous musicians.

13. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Can’t add anything more except to say my experience was excellent.

14. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Those stores with a million dollar inventory could probably sneak something by 95% of their customers usually but their reputation is way more valuable then that. They know that.

15. pi

pi Tele-Meister

I never dealt with Wildwood but was under the impression they were a well-respected store. What soured you?

16. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I bought my Telecaster used from Dave's a few years ago. Called to ask about weight and they put it on the scale while I waited.

17. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Duplicate

18. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Duplicate

19. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Its 600 miles to their Madison, WI store. Why not make a trip out of it and have a blast trying everything in the store? Call ahead and let them know you're coming and I bet they'd set you up with anything you'd want to play.

I visited the LaCrosse store last century and was duly impressed.

20. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

In 2010 I made the 6 hour trip to West Virginia to pick up my new custom T crook from Bill personally. But shall we say, travel was a bit different then. I don't want to say anymore lest I be banned.
    Otherwise I would have loved to make a trip out of it.

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.