Dave's Guitar Shop Used Prices

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by manbearpig, Feb 13, 2010.

1. manbearpig

manbearpig Tele-Meister

A question for those who do business with Dave's Guitar Shop (LaCrosse, WI): Do they negotiate on prices for used instruments for customers buying online? If so, do you call or email and how much wiggle room can I expect?

2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Call.

Wiggle room?

They don't give gear away.

But there is a reason they have the reputation that they do.

I have always done fine with Dave's.

3. manbearpig

manbearpig Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reply Bucko. I certainly don't expect them to give gear away, but I'm not a real experienced negotiator (or guitar buyer) and I'm trying to figure out what sort of offer to make, or does it not work like that? I just don't want to be the stiff who pays sticker price if that isn't the norm.

4. Broken Light

Broken Light Tele-Meister

I don't know about used gear but Dave price matched Gretsch Americana guitar when Overstock was blowing them out over a year ago by email. He was really quick getting back to me too. I don't think it would hurt to try, as long as you're reasonable.

5. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

Just ask them what their best price is, if you don't like it, then don't buy it.

6. ddhr

ddhr Tele-Holic

I've asked for free shipping and they did that (ground).

Doug

7. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Same as dealin' with wimmins- ask not, get not. (unless you're John Mayer):D Sorry, couldn't hep mysef.

8. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Dealin' with Dave is alot easier than dealin' with wimmins I've known!

9. JeffsJeep04

JeffsJeep04 Tele-Holic

Dave has his email sent to his blackberry...you'll get a response quick at any reasonable hour 7 days a week. He will work with you on used gear, I'm sure. That being said, most of his used gear is priced pretty darn good I think. The Jimmie Vaughn strat I traded in he listed for $395. It sold in a few weeks. The CV tele was $295 and sold about a week after that.

With THAT being said...you REALLY need to make the drive over there. It's well worth the 2ish hour drive for you to go if you've never been there. First rate customer service, enough guitars to put you into shock, and an upstairs with the most rare and desirable guitars in the world right there in the open for you to drool over.

10. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I agree. I can't imagine being just two hours away and not making the drive over to check out Dave's inventory and to actually play the guitar that I was interested in purchasing. Even if you don't have a car, take the bus!

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I thought I had done just fine with Dave's.

But the longer I had the one used guitar I bought, the more unimpressed I have become with the characterization of the condition of the guitar. Plus I didn't appreciate discovering they're gotten the year the guitar was made way off. A "2006" guitar, production MIM guitar with 250K pots dated 2000?

Still, they're probably better than some the guys out there.

I also didn't appreciate being told when I asked (straight up) if they'd given up being a G + L dealer - I was told no. The real truth? They had thrown G + L over. They have perhaps 1 used Tribute on their page if you go check.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.