Daughter's First Guitar! (Proud Dad Moment)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TobyZ28, Sep 14, 2021.

1. TobyZ28

TobyZ28 Tele-Meister

Just wanting to share a super awesome Dad moment. My Daughter really has been wanting to learn an instrument for some time now and we've finally decided to get a 2/3rd size guitar + lessons to start with. She is SUPER excited and up for the challenge of learning an instrument.

Best part is she already knew what she wanted:
    upload_2021-9-14_14-9-19.png
    I only started learning a few years and fully expect her to blow past me in a couple years if she sticks to it!

Curious anyone else has any "Kids Learning Guitar" tips/experiences/stories to share :D

2. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

Way to do Dad! Idk about any tips, but I taught my stepson 3 chords years ago and a few months later I was asking him for tips. Kids learn fast, he got really good very quick.

Maguchi and TobyZ28 like this.
  3. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Friend of Leo's

Well, she needs to learn some Megadeth riffs as soon as possible if that's her first guitar.

TobyZ28 and Mark617 like this.
  4. Mark617

Mark617 Tele-Meister

Kinda makes my first bought Hondo seem silly
    Great choice !

TobyZ28 likes this.
  5. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Love the guitar choice but not the most comfortable shape to learn on sitting down.

6. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Put the “crotch” on your thigh and rock on!

7. geetaruke

geetaruke TDPRI Member

Ya, but then you have a longer reach to the headstock. Not ideal for cowboy chording beginners.

But, if the look of the guitar is super inspiring to her, it trumps the slight comfort issue, I think.

8. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Friend of Leo's

TobyZ28 and Danb541 like this.
  9. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Holy smokes. Wanna be my dad?

Danb541 likes this.
  10. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Very true, more of a classical position. I don't like how that feels but it actually might not be a bad way to learn I guess. The guitar would be very stable, which is a plus.

Edit/Add: Might need to remove that strap button so it doesn't dig into the leg.

Fretting out and TobyZ28 like this.
  11. TobyZ28

TobyZ28 Tele-Meister

Yea I also had thoughts about her accidentally stabbing her brother or a wall with those edges too... She was super inspired by it so we went for it. I also told her if she keeps up practice for 2-3 years I'll buy her a "real" guitar, this one can then go to her brother (which is also why she wanted to go for white) :)

12. TobyZ28

TobyZ28 Tele-Meister

13. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

10/10 for dad points - figure out what she's listening to (w/o judgment) and follow the interest w/ techniques that will have her wanging and squealing w/ the rest of the head-bangers.
    Peace - Deeve

TobyZ28 likes this.
  14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

my kid always wanted a guitarbut was the type of kid you could not show any thing to. So I told them , that fhey would find the guitar that spoke to them and that would be their guitar and they would know it.

they tried a 3/4 sized strat, liked it but it did not speak to them, a yamaha student super strat , no joy , traded it all in for a Yamaha smoke grey acoustic , loved it but was not for them , then one day found the ONE.

A gretsch white penguin acoustic with unbelievable set up this their "forever guitar"

P1011650.JPG P1011655.JPG

My kid surprized me when in school they chose the oboe to learn , they are self taught (even the band teachers did not know how to play) and went so far to play in the Honor band and open for the Univerity Of B.C. symphony ( proud dad here with lots of trophies ) they can read , play scripted music and has a superior sence of counting timming , far surpassing me .

but again I could not show them anything ,unless they asked first.

Dan German and TobyZ28 like this.
  15. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Tele-Afflicted

Good job Dad. Hope she sticks with it.

TobyZ28 likes this.
  16. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

That's a really pointy guitar .... not that there's anything wrong with that.
    I suspect as she matures her preferences will gravitate towards more curvy guitars.

Kids learn fast .... she'll be able to give you lessons very soon.

TobyZ28 likes this.
  17. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Awesome.

My mother was a music teacher. Her thing was Voice and Piano. She never forced me to learn piano, even when we had one in the house, because she believed pushing it would make it not fun, and I would only learn if it was fun. When I decided to play an instrument, there was no question about buying one for me. When I switched to another, same thing. Most stuff I “had to have” required me to earn the money to purchase it, but musical instruments (and books) were exempt, and would be provided within reason. I think this is an admirable parental attitude, and it was shared by my non-musical grandparents.

(NOTE: she should have forced me to learn piano. It would have helped.) :D

TobyZ28 likes this.
  18. TobyZ28

TobyZ28 Tele-Meister

I was force fed piano myself by parents who didn't teach music and although there were some benefits from it, I honestly think its why I never kept going with it. Now on my own terms i've decide to learn guitar again and my daughters really see's it for what it should be -fun! So hopefully I can keep the enjoyment going with her:) We also have a "If you read it we'll buy it" policy, or anything "learning" related (within reason!).

Dan German likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.