1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Daughter dinged my Tele!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sidney Vicious, May 1, 2009.

1. EricIndecisive

EricIndecisive Tele-Meister

or to never have kids :lol:

2. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

Excellent story LGOberean!

You reacted in the right way, maybe that Alvarez wouldn't have made it this far, unlike the Hohner which is still singing!:)

3. mrmorrison

mrmorrison Tele-Afflicted

Break her Hannah Montana microphone! XD

4. mbr

mbr Tele-Meister

You love your daughter, you LIKE your guitar. No contest.

5. surfco

surfco Tele-Afflicted

:lol:

6. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

Make her get a job and buy you a new one. She's 6... it's time anyway. ;)

When my middle son was around 3 I discovered him at the top of the stairs with my mandolin. He knew he wasn't suppose to have it so he cleverly got rid of the evidence by throwing it backwards. Snapped the neck right off. I had fixed, but it's never quite been the same.

7. Axtklinge

Axtklinge Tele-Meister

+1 on that!

8. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

Great story.
    Your boy is the same vintage as me.
    Steve

9. blacklinefish

blacklinefish Tele-Afflicted

What a great story.

Some of these stories should be compiled into a required reading section for each new guitar purchase. "Hey, I got a new guitar!" "Congrats, it looks great. ...now, in the unlikely event that one of your loved ones should damage this instrument down the road, I want you to remember how Sidney and Larry handled it."

10. Gangster No:1

Gangster No:1 TDPRI Member

Thanks for teh parenting skills class guys. I'm a new dad and my son is nearly two now. One of his first words was geetahh and he always wonders over to my guitar corner to play with amp knobs and leads. I've been using the word 'No' a lot recently when he touches stuff and now he's learnt that word too.

After reading this I've put my old beaten up 335 copy from under the bed on a stand and my American Tele Deluxe away in its case. This morning he has been strumming the strings and saying geetahh a lot whilst looking back to me waiting for the 'No' word. I just smiled and started fingering chords so he got different sounds. I think he's a convert and hopefully he'll get his mothers talent for music (lapsed classically trained cellist) and not my ham fisted skills.

11. Lostheart

Lostheart Tele-Afflicted

If the original strapbuttons were pressed in too deep you could just get a set of flush mount Dunlop Straplocks, drill out the amount of wood needed and drop em in. They look really clean and great (IMHO).
    [​IMG]

12. wylde4canes

wylde4canes Tele-Holic

I have a 3 year old myself and I am sure she will eventually damage one of my guitars. recently she knocked over one my strat partscaster beaters. I told her that is why we are gentle with musical instruments, but still let her strum and pick and touch til her heart's content. I think this is the best way to foster an interest ( My old man did the same with me)

13. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

cherish every minute your kids are here .

14. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

:rolleyes: I don't even like mine hanging in a carpeted room. You are lucky that is all that happened to it! Glad that it... and she are OK!

15. Bob Logan

Bob Logan Tele-Meister

Alot of nice storys, Here's one not involving my kids, My X wife thru my 1959 all original Les Paul Special across the room and hit a glass table snapping the neck clean off. OUCH! Just one reason she's my X wife. BL.

16. pengipete

pengipete Friend of Leo's

This thread should be cross referenced with the one about people being electrocuted when they touch guitars - there may be some useful tips in there. :twisted:

17. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    My kids know better than to go anywhere near my guitars. Especially the ones I am building.

On another note, many years ago I was building a new gate to our back yard. My oldest son, who was about 4 at the time was hanging around helping me. After a bit he picked up my hammer and started walking towards my car. When I asked him what he was doing he replied "I'm gonna fix your lights".

18. jeepnstein

jeepnstein Tele-Meister

My tele, which is always out, was oddly out of tune the other night. Odd, I don't remember winding the strings in that direction? I never wind them that way. "Oh Boys! Come here a minute..." Stuff happens and kids are curious, especially about things that Dad finds interesting.

Son #2 always fastens the little strap on my guitar stand when he sees I've left it undone. The little guy can coil cables, too. Heavy distortion and loud makes him smile. Oh, and I caught him singing "Rock and Roll All Night" in the bathtub a while back.

Son #1? He's more into making noise and learning "alternate" tunings. It would seem he wanted to sing a song and needed to make the strings produce the notes to go along with it. That boy is going to go far.

I'll wind up with dents and dings as they get older. Every one will tell a different story.

19. Schizotronic

Schizotronic Tele-Meister

Put a picture of this accident.

20. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Great lesson here man!!! Thanks for sharing!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.