1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Daughter College Acceptance

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FirstBassman, Dec 6, 2013.

1. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Friend of Leo's

Cool, thanks!

From all the times we've been there for Colonial Williamsburg , Busch Gardens, etc., we're pretty familiar with the area.
    My daughter is not a drinker/partyer at all (at least not yet) and with all the time being spent studying, rowing and singing I doubt she's going to have any free time left over.

2. FirstBassman

W&M is in-state for us, so the cost will be doable.
    A huge chunk of change, yes, but doable.

She was being recruited as a rower at a few very expensive Div. III colleges and there was no way we were going to be able to afford those schools so this worked out the best in many ways.

Yes, the cost at colleges in Canada is considerably less and many U.S. students are looking into that option.

3. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

well done,

i've heard of the place, from people here

explains a lot

4. FirstBassman

She has some ideas.

She has lived overseas, is very good at languages and as a very strong sense of community and "world" service.

So, we'll see where that takes her.

Though, statistics says a very large percentage of college students change their majors.

5. FirstBassman

Yes, thanks.

W&M is the second oldest college in the U.S. (Thomas Jefferson went there) and they like to desribe themselves as a "public Ivy."

It is a very difficult school to get into.

My daughter has worked and studied very hard and, trust me, she gets her brains from her mother's side of the family.
    ;)

6. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I assume she was a foreign exchange student? Both my kids went to Europe for a year of exchange during high school. It was THE most beneficial experience of their lives. I would encourage any parent/student to do this...incredible experience for a young person...I would recommend the Int'l Rotary Club sponsor for exchange.....The best available IMHO.

7. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

That's cool! She sounds like a good kid that will do much better in school than I have:p

And yeah, I decided to change my major about half way through my second term. As do many people. I switched from Music Technology to Machining/Manufacturing. Then from Machining to CAD/CAM certification courses after another term and a summer.

Good luck to her!

Writing papers pro tip: They're easier to do at 3am when your only source of energy is red bull. I once hammered out a grade A 4-pager in 3 hours, including starting the research. And changing the font size of the periods can dramatically change the length of the paper. :D

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Congratulations!

9. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm.

:D

Actually, that was pretty much SOP for me too. Although I generally started hammering out my 3-hours research-included papers starting about 3:15 before class.

Pretty sure my school record speaks for itself. :oops:

10. FirstBassman

No. sorry.

My daughter lived my ex-wife and I while we worked overseas for the U.S. government.

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Congrats!
    I am a Wm & Mary graduate!
    Go TRIBE!

I believe a very fine school has only gotten better and with the addition of your daughter, better still!

A very exciting time to be sure!

12. FirstBassman

Really, G/B!? I had no idea.

Very nice of you to say.

I am very stoked. As is she.

13. misterbluesman

misterbluesman Tele-Holic

Congrats! I'm graduating college this year and it's flown by.

Just took the LSAT today so I'll be applying to law schools soon. I have to go through the application process all over again. Oh joy...

14. FirstBassman

^^^^

Good luck!

I took the GRE (a million years ago) but I'm sure that's nothing compared to the LSAT.

15. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

Hey FB, from what you are saying about your daughter, she'll fit right in!

Undergrads, at least the ones who belong there, really seem to like it at W&M. Almost everybody there seems way more sensible and goal oriented than I was at that age! But maybe the other students were like that back then and I just didn't notice...

Where W&M differs from the large research universities is that they are very oriented toward undergraduate education and a motivated student can really stretch out and pursue her interests, with the sincere attention and close guidance of the professors. I suppose it is quite intense for the undergrads but it is a school for people who really want to go to school.

I went to undergrad school at Penn, which was an entirely different experience from the postcard William and Mary campus. Yeah I studied a lot but I saw Captain Beefheart, Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters and a hundred other concerts in Philly. You're lucky if you get an 18th c. lute and fife recital in Williamsburg...

I am the only person I know who attended the second, third, and fourth oldest universities in the USA. The second oldest is a good place to start. The closest I'll get to Harvard, the oldest, is my homebrew tweed 5f10 clone.

16. FirstBassman

Thanks mojo!

We have tried to (gently) warn her that the work level at W&M is going to be intense.

And the rest of her senior year is going to seem to drag on for a long time since now all she and us can think about is her starting her next adventure.

17. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

Yeah, High School is totally over now....soooo 2013!

The thing about school is it seems like an impossible workload at first, then you learn how to handle it. Then it gets harder and you grow into that level...all the way up to PhD and beyond.

The key is to study what you love, then it is not work but rather a tremendous privilege to have the opportunity to dig in until your head is about to explode.

Yeah it is intense but that is why it is valuable. It is hard to find space to pursue 24-7 focused learning and self-development out in the time-robbed world of everyday cares and challenges. What a luxury!

The shocker for many at W&M is that there is not much grade inflation. Students who never got a C in their life, which is probably most W&M freshmen, might get a C at some point. A lot of the teachers think C is an perfectly OK grade, whereas the students are horrified at the thought. At a lot of schools you can die two weeks into the semester and still pull a C posthumously...definitely not at W&M!

W&M is a demanding and challenging environment but, as I said earlier in carefully chosen-words, very civilized. There is a lot of community support and motivation in the air, as well as an atmosphere of mutual respect, in a flavor mix that is hard to describe.

All in all, a unique and very special institution, maybe even quaint in some ways, but this 17th century school does seem to turn out grads who are anxious and ready to get out there and engage the modern world.

The school is on the honor system, the old school Virginia honor system handed through the generations from the days of yore. I had to take a pledge not to lie, cheat, or steal in my academic or personal life when I started grad school. I'm not sure if that ever runs out or not.

18. FirstBassman

I was a terrible student until I entered grad school.

The Admissions office just wrote in their blog to expect two to three hours of studying for every hour in the classroom. So that comes out to about 60 hours of schoolwork a week.

Yes, W&M is known for its grade deflation.

Yes, it does but I've never really understood when a school says they have an "honor system." Is it ok to steal and cheat at every other college?

19. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

You did a great job raising her! You must be VERY proud!
    Good on you. Good on her.

My philosophy is to have my kids get a good enough education to get a good enough job to afford all the therapy they'll need from having me as a parent!

20. mojo2001

mojo2001 Tele-Holic

Yes, it does but I've never really understood when a school says they have an "honor system." Is it ok to steal and cheat at every other college?[/QUOTE]

Not in my mind, but I think 18th century W&M students rolled into campus with dueling pistols in their luggage just in case they had to settle an honor-related beef.:D

It all has an anachronistic, somehow Southern feel to it but this integrity mandate does contribute to the community and the ethical sculpture of W&M grads.

Nowadays, in most contexts, ebay feedback passes for the fundamental test of character.

FB, I join the others in congratulating you for raising a daughter who chooses such a path and I wish you the all the satisfaction you will enjoy as you watch this journey unfold. Have fun at Parent's Weekend!

I fear my 17 yo son, a decent budding blues picker, is headed down the same road as his pops: No money, no career, but excellent musical taste!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.