Dating a Yard Sale Score-5a3 DeLuxe

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by t-luxe, Jun 16, 2012.

1. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

1949 Tweed Deluxe. Pretty sweet! A little elbow grease, clear it up a little. But not too much. ;-) Too bad all the caps and a lot of resistors are gone, but hey, things can only get better from here, right? That's a score. Another one brought back to life.

2. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

Well, my main concern is that it was not neatly done, but I guess I can live with it for now. I may re-do it later but first I need to get a power cord and the tubes installed, break out the Variac and see how she sounds. :D

3. backline

backline Tele-Afflicted

.....but they are not worried about tossing out the "original" parts, and then having new, non-original components in the amp.?
    Original solder joints.? WTF is next I wonder.....save the "original" burned out light bulb from 1950.?
    It is not just amps. I see the same things with guns, and is alive and well in all hobbies. Seems to bring out the Weirdo/OCD nut jobs. Just so they have something to worry/obsess over.
    Nice amp.
    Enjoy

4. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I'm pretty sure most of the caps would'a been shot in an amp that old anyway. Thay didn't have the blue ones like the blackfaces that those almost never go bad. Myself I would've just went ahead and used the eyelets on the board cause original solder joints don't mean anything when the parts are changed.
    I read a TV and radio repair book from about 54 in there it talked about caps only lasting a few years that was blocking, coupling and tone caps.
    If I found an amp like this I'd replace whatever it took to make it work.
    I see no point in having an amp I can't use.

5. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Only reason I do not disturb the original solder joints is if I know the amp is working but needs caps and the original solder joints hold several components I would rather change out the caps and not disturb them joints just in case I would not get a good solder joint with the multiple components. Yea probably nothing to worry about I just choose to do it this way and if it is neatly done I do not see an issue with it.

6. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

Okay, so it's not original, who cares. Make it work, play the hellout of it and enjoy a great little amp with major mojo. There's enough of it there to still have bigtime appeal and value. Congrats on an excellent score.

7. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Tele-Holic

I'm with twangplank, it's mostly crap at tag sales around here. Every once in a while I'll find a tool or something but that's about it. Most of the stuff I see is stuff that I would just throw out. The last one I went to was listed as an estate sale. When I went into the house it was a disgusting mess with tables full of unmatched dishes, pots & pans. There was stuff stacked everywhere and half of it marked "not for sale". The weird part is the "not for sale" stuff was all mixed with the sale stuff and I got the impression that the mess had nothing to do with the sale, it was always like that in this house. They had taken the kitchen cabinets off the wall and were selling those yet they were holding onto complete crap. They had a dish washer sitting against one wall with a fake butcher block top, no cabinet just a dish washer out in the open. It smelled like old sweet and dirty laundry and there was a family that reminded me of The Hills Have eyes laying all around a small messy living room full of dirty dishes watching TV. There were holes in the walls patched with duct tape. Needless to say I beat feet out of there before I got robbed.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  8. birddog01

birddog01 Tele-Afflicted

+1, If one had to replace the caps in the photo and wanted to keep it as much "original" as possible I would do the same.
    Put it back together have it look like Mike Simpson's above and play the heck out of it. Use it for the "Cool" factor for what it is.

9. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

We have some good sales around here in northern WI I have gotten some good deals on hunting and fishing stuff and I once bought a Mexican strat for 25 dollars that the only thing wrong with it was I had to take the kid stickers off. You never know what your gonna find. I have found Mic Cords for a buck a piece and speaker cords for the same price at one place I bought the whole box of them I got a large suit case full now of mic and speaker cords for PA. Found a couple of guitar cords for 50 cents once that were nice ones. I still use one of them the other went bad the jacks were sill useable though. I do not really care for acoustic guitars too used to playing electrics all these years but I once bought a nice Alvarez for 35 dollars I just sold it a month of so ago since it collected dust. I have also bought junker acoustics I have sold to the local guitar shop for parts guitars.

10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

If an old radio guy says it works then it works.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the new parts. Electronics component technology has come a long way since the '50s. The sad part of early '50s amps is all those "firecracker" Astrons and the Astron electrolytics are junk. They were probably spent before the Beatles got here. It's not like an early '50s Telecaster where you just play it and don't worry about the parts. Dude did you a favor. Now you don't have to worry about changing an original amp 'cuz it's changed already. It's a player so you can play the dog poo out of it. It's super nice for a '49.

It's weird, I see more every early '50s tweeds than I do later ones. Must be the collectors snapped up all the '57s-'60s.

Dude! You gotta take the bad with the good.

Funny part is... head over to Westchester. There are more old Mashalls in basements and garages over there than there are in the U.K.

You been watchin' too much "American Pickers". They barely show the part where they drive a thousand miles to get to a good stash. They don't show the dozen dung heaps they go to before they get to a good one.

That's why rare stuff is "rare".

Typical yard sale is baby clothes. Young mothers tryin' to make a few coins in a crappy economy. Way I figure it anyone under 30 years old has stuff that's under 30 years old.

Me... I've been workin' on my stash for well over 30 years. Little bit of everything in there although I'm a little thin on mismatched dishes. I read a thread here the other day, it had a pic of a Maestro FZ1 pedal. Allegedly that's the Stones "Satisfaction" tone. Pedal looked vaguely familiar so I rummaged through my stash. How 'bout that, I have one! Mine is an FZ1-A, though.

Bummer! :lol:

My Famous Rock Star buddies come up deer hunting. The Flatlander verson of deer hunting is like the arcade at Hampton Beach. Pick a fat one, get it in your sights and pull the trigger. Well it ain't like that! :lol:

11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Those American Picker guys would stand on or trip over tweed Fenders all day to get a rusty old bike !

Just like one of my brothers. The one that didn't drop 20 bucks on that Quad Reverb.
    (ya I'm still pissed)

12. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The one amp I wish I had back was a '49 Deluxe (#1517) it was the amp I first really learned to play on... never should have sold it, but I was a kid, and what did I know?

That is almost certainly the original speaker, and it looks like you've got the original iron too... too bad about the caps/resistors, but my Deluxe's caps were shot when I had that amp ('83 or so), so like everyone else, I'd just go ahead and get it into dependable working shape and play the snot out of it!!!

One other thing with these amps-they HATE boost pedals, being grid-leak biased and all, but there can be some absolutely GLORIOUS overdrive sounds from that era of amp-mine could nail the Clapton kazoo sound on the Disreali Gears album!

Which preamp tubes does your amp spec? Mine was running 6SN7s (I've seen 6SC7s in most of the other TV Front Deluxes). Would be curious to know...

Franc Robert

13. muchxs

Yeah, I ought to work for them now that they have the Nashville store. Sounds like a business opportunity to me.

14. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Muchxs I have learned to stop at them baby clothes sales you might get a bargain I almost passed up a baby clothes sale a couple of years ago but I seen one fishing pole there so I stopped. I did not buy the fishing pole but I got a mint M8 4x compact Leupold scope for 28 dollars. Those normally ran for around 300 bucks.

Speaking of early pedals First fuzz pedal I ever owned plugged into the guitar then you plugged cord into it and then the cord went to the amp. I did a search it had to have been a Electro Harmonix LPB 1 or a variant. Or some one made a copy of it. This was 1970 and it had the slide switch and the one knob. If it was not one of them it was a copy.

15. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

A VINTAGE '49 FENDER TWEED DELUXE ????? REALLY?!!!!
    *&^$%####!!!!!!!%^$$#***!!

How do you guys do it? Are you going back in TIME to these "yard sales" ???
    The only thing I see at yard sales anymore is recycled plastic kids toys and baby clothes!
    Not even decent quality household items.
    Good lord.
    Could you pick me up Fox sidebyside, a pair of matching Colts, a Bigsby tripleneck pedal steel and a minty 74 Panhead they next time you're out?
    Please?
    DANG!

16. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

6SC7s, according to the tube chart. The seller has yet to "dig out" the tubes but has promised me 2 full sets.

17. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

If those are 715ps in there, get 'em out. Replace with Mallory 150's.

Killer find, just killer.

18. muchxs

...and it's usually the people who have piles of crap who have the good stuff under it.

I always ask at yard sales, "Got any guitars, amps, phonographs, any old musical instruments?"

Got one, NOS / NIB. If I can find it... :rolleyes:

There is a ton of cool gear around D.C.. New houses with old amps in the basements.

Settle for a field grade L.C. Smith, a Sho Bud and an early Evo. $5k for old Evos and they're way more reliable.

My Sig holds more than both of your Colts. :twisted:

Couple notes on that '49 Deluxe:

That isn't a field coil speaker. Not marked as a field coil speaker, it ain't a field coil speaker. Doesn't look like a field coil. Transformer is mounted on the frame which as common in '49. They didn't pay much attention fo 300+ volts semi-exposed in the amp.

60 y.o. cloth wiring.

These are supposed to take 6SC7s. Great tubes, less expensive than 12AX7s or 12AY7s.

19. t-luxe

t-luxe Tele-Afflicted

They are 716ps. I'll probably change them down the road but right now I just wanna get this thing up and running.

Apparently the guy went thru a bunch of carbon comps he had and picked out the ones that were right on spec. He said there were a couple of his replacements that were slightly incorrect by color code but tested right on for the amp spec. I'd like to see inside his workshop...I'm sure he's got a ton of NOS components....:D

20. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Yea if I remember right a field coil speaker is one that the magnet is a electromagnet. I seen a few of them when I was younger. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.