1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dasher's FORMER Challenge Build - Austrasonic

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Dasher, Jun 13, 2015.

1. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

All the best Dasher, nice design and great timbers - hope you've sharpened your tools. They're all pretty hard bits of wood! Trend timber? Must drive out there one day. Cheers

2. Bagman67

Bagman67 Tele-Meister

You said a mouthful, brother.

3. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

That's pretty. Love all native builds, great stuff.

4. Dasher

Dasher Tele-Meister

I was going to build a guitar out of native perspex but someone previously stole that idea! :lol:

5. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, small confession, my perspex came from China. :rolleyes:

Not only that, the entry from the following year was build with Swedish junk pallet pine.

I said I like it, but I'm not the best at sticking to it. :lol:

6. Dasher

Dasher Tele-Meister

Thanks MG. Yes I'm quite worried about my router bits!

The Blackwood top and the Mulga are from Trend. The Blackbutt is from North Shore timber in Sydney. It comes in 45mm, 2.1mtrs by 250mm.

7. Dasher

Dasher Tele-Meister

I've always wanted to build a pallet pine guitar but it's not that easy finding a pallet that's not treated!

The issue in NZ is much the same as here......not much at Bunnings worth building from. Except their Chinese perspex of course.:lol:

8. Lars81

Lars81 Tele-Meister

Good luck with your build!

9. Dasher

Dasher Tele-Meister

Heres a better look at the design and the template build for the neck and neck rout. I hate working with MDF! It's easy to work with and I always wear a mask but the dust still scares me. Anyway here's some progress on the templates.
    I cut the neck template out with a jigsaw and then use a straight edge to rout it out on the table.

Attached Files:

10. Dasher

Dasher Tele-Meister

The neck will be set and will run right to the end of the first humbucker rout. I cut the body template out using a jigsaw and leave enough template for the router to ride on when the neck rout is cut. I then use the straightedge again to get the rout nice and straight. It's a no gap perfect fit. You can also see the centre line remains true. These templates should serve me well.

Attached Files:

11. Jfellows

Jfellows Tele-Afflicted

Looks great! I'll tell you what, if nothing else, I am getting educated in Australian timber in this challenge this year for sure. I love using local woods, it just adds something to the build.

12. Dasher

Dasher Tele-Meister

Thanks JF. There are a number of tried and true local timbers for guitars here. These include Queensland Maple, Tasmanian Myrtle, and Tasmanian Blackwood. Blackwood in particular is used by a number of manufacturers including Fender. I've never seen anyone use Blackbutt. It's extremely heavy which has me a little worried but I think with the weight taken out of it, it will look lovely.

The Aussie Eucalyptus trees are plentiful but can be a little unstable. Blackbutt is used a lot here for flooring it makes for a lovely polished floor. It is hard wearing.

The top I will use is 5mm of figured Tasmania Blackwood. Given the use of Blackbutt and Blackwood, I guess the binding will need to be .....Black.

I'm still thinking about the finish. I could easily hit it with Nitro but I'm thinking a rubbed oil finish might be better with this combination. Happy to hear what people think.

13. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

I really like your previous work Dasher so I'm looking forward to following this. Looks like you're off to a great start. Really nice selection of timber!

14. Dasher

Dasher Tele-Meister

Thanks Brian :lol:

15. Dasher

Dasher Tele-Meister

A bit more work today. I changed the bandsaw blade this morning and got to work on the blank. Firstly cutting outside the template line and then over to the pilar drill to get the excess timber down using the drum sander. I then use an upward spiral bit in my table router to finish the body. This timber is really hard. I think the bit might need to be changed over.

One thing you get with the Eucalyptus timber is sap runs deep in the wood. You can see one of these in this Blackbutt blank in the third photo. Adds a bit of character. I will eventually fill this will a touch of epoxy because I'm planning a natural finish.

Attached Files:

16. Dasher

Dasher Tele-Meister

Here's a look at the Blackbutt prior to weight relieving the body. This definitely needs weight relief. A look at the front and the back of the cut body. The back is the side with the stripe down the middle. I understand why Eucalyptus is rarely used for bodies. It's heavy, hard on the tools, and can be brittle. It's lovely timber though and i think with the guts cut out of it, it will make for a nice sounding guitar.

This piece was cut down from 50mm to 40mm.

And another look at the Tasmanian Blackwood top being prepared. This top is one I've had lying around for nearly 2 years. It's flamed but I was waiting for the right time to use it.

Attached Files:

17. Dasher

Dasher Tele-Meister

I took the body to the pillar drill and hogged out quite a bit of timber. The body was cut down to 40mm and will have a 5mm top on it. So I have hogged out the body 35mm. This will leave 5mm on front and back. Now it feels a lot better. Should be nicely balanced once the neck goes on.

I used my router on the template to take out the rough edges from the Forstner bits. Then lowered it to smooth out the cavity down 35mm. I've decided not to add F 'holes to this build because i think the Blackwood top is too nice to cut these out of it. Also with the humbuckers, I think the guitar will sound better with the solid top left in tact.

Once again, in the second photo you can see the inside of the sap line in this blank.

Attached Files:

18. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Nice work!

Really digging that shape.

19. Dasher

Dasher Tele-Meister

I cut the control cavity from the back to see how the 5mm back looked. I will glue some pieces in the cavity to take the screws for the back plate. I'm excited about this top! I cut it on the band saw and have glued it to the body. It can sit over night before i clean it up.

I'm still not sure how to finish this build. I usually use Nitro but I'm thinking I might do a rubbed oil finish on this build. What do people think?

Attached Files:

20. Dasher

Dasher Tele-Meister

BTW, I haven't been on the site for a while. I was busy with these two builds. I thought you might be interested to see some more Blackwood. These both have Blackwood carve tops. The first one has a stripe which is just me leaving the sapwood on when I jointed the piece. These were both finished in Nitro. The first has coil split Hot Rodded SDs the Bigsby one has SD Blues 59s.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.