Dash cams anyone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kirchensfan, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

Anyone using a dashcam? I see them for as little as $30 on Amazon, but the reviews for the same item are great to piece of junk. So if you guys have seen an inexpensive one that actually works I'd like to check it out. Say under $100.

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I am curious as to why you'd want one. Establishing liability in a traffic accident?
    Proof of road rage? Record of your teenage driver's excursions?

It seems like it's gotta come down to capturing other people's bad behavior, or why else would anyone want one

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Judging from utube, they're mandatory in Russia.

4. blowtorch

BigDaddy, I've thought that also

5. Kirchensfan

well those are good reasons, BT, but my main idea was just another toy to keep retirement hours busy playing with. HA!

6. VictOr358

VictOr358 TDPRI Member

Not really, no =) But they come pretty handy in case you're a victim of organized scam collisions. This was a problem some years ago. Nowadays these scams are less frequent, but dash cams are still popular.

7. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I have a keychain cam that I velcro to a ballcap to capture flights with my electric remote controlled plane. I can have it loop endlessly in HD quality but captures no sound. It cost $30 and works just fine.. I would have liked a dash cam when I got forced off the road once upon a time but other than that, I do not like extra bling on a vehicle at all. I was forced off the road twice to avoid head on collisions with idiots driving tiny cars who build up speed and then suddenly pull out while I was riding a motorcycle. A novice rider would have died in both instances.
    A little cam to capture sound and video pointed at the driver's door would be handy as evidence of the local cops constantly going beyond their authority (and subsequently lying in court) around here. This is coming from an x road Officer (me). The bad cops are not the norm but they exist.

8. BigDaddyLH

Figure out a way to spin it around on a string!

JayFreddy likes this.
  9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Great for accidents but otherwise a waste. I suppose they may become standard equipment someday.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Go vintage. I let Toto drive as I sketch the cars in front of me. You don't need a dash cam, you'll shoot your eye out. :D

11. Grabsplatter

Grabsplatter Tele-Holic

I have been thinking of getting one. If you get hit by an idiot, why not have evidence? Also, I think in some places insurance is cheaper if you have one. Certainly, insurance companies like them. I know there are insurance companies that like cameras showing the driver. Well, why should they pay out if the driver isnt paying attention?

I have seen that a UK insurance company offers cheaper insurance if their customers use the company's app to somehow oversee their driving. I guess it records speed, but I've not looked into it.

For myself, we live by the sea. Come summer, all the morons from Sofia head our way, and they all seem to think they're immortal. They also seem to think everyone else can magically disappear if we're in their way. The average road speed near us is far higher from early June til mid Sept. I'd quite like to cover my back for when the inevitable happens.

12. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:lol:

13. blowtorch

I dunno, to me, it's more inviting big brother into your private life

I do not want a record of me driving it like I stole it, running down little old ladies in the crosswalk, blasting through roadblocks....and then there's the transport of the bodies ...

14. BigDaddyLH

JayFreddy likes this.
  15. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

That there was the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.

16. Kirchensfan

"For myself, we live by the sea. Come summer, all the morons from Sofia head our way"
    Here, also so I got a good laugh from your post, Grabsplatter.

17. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

I watched a video last year from a group of Russian's explaining the dash cams (it seemed like a regular channel answering questions sent in by viewers). You can probably confirm but it was said that as long as you can prove the accident wasn't your fault, the insurance company would go after the other guy. So dash cams are a lot more common.

As a motorcyclist, I'm interested in a cam (I have a GoPro Silver for the bike) in part because of crazy drivers who pull out without seeing me and in part to document cool rides in the mountains.

Carl

18. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Cops around here would pull you over for obstructed vision. I was asked once to remove my sunglasses that I had slug over my rear view mirror. My wife once got pulled over for having some dangly thing on her rear view mirror.

19. BigDaddyLH

That's never happened to me. I guess I live in the land of the free.

20. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

In Virginia it's a violation to have something hanging from your rear view mirror but it's not one you can be pulled over for. If you're pulled over for something else (like speeding), they can further ding you if you have something on the mirror.

Edit: Also, this was back in the mid 90's when folks where hanging CDs from the mirrors as well so that may be part of the reason for it.

Carl

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.