Darryl's first telecaster build(its finally begun)

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Dpalms, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Dpalms

Dpalms TDPRI Member

So I've been lurking around here for a while and even started a build many years ago, but some of the tools, my templates and the body I had started was in my car when it got stolen, put the project on hold but never forgot about, been thinking about it for years, now with the virus going around and bring at home all the time I finally decided to get back to it.

I made some templates
    20200405_112337.jpg then I made a neck pocket template 20200406_214045.jpg
    20200406_221117.jpg
    Fits pretty good

I have another template with the body cavity cuts but no pics

I've got my wood for the body cut and planed, going to try to get them glued togsther this week.

I'm using tdowns blueprint for body ant neck and was wondering what year and model telecaster this is based on, and does it matter which bridge I use, are the universal? I ordered a modern bridge but now I'm wondering if it will fit or should I order the ashtray type?

Thsnks for checking out my build, any and all advice is welcome and appreciated, this is going to be a long slow build, as I have a young family to attend with most of my time.

Please be patient I may ask alot of questions thought are obvious to most of you, but this is my first build and first major wood working project.
    If you know any great build links, or tutorials or anything I should know please let me know.

Thank you, more to follow

Attached Files:

2. Dpalms

Dpalms TDPRI Member

The wood for the body 20200404_145740.jpg

John Nicholas, NightOwl and E-miel like this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

The tdowns drawing mounting and ferrule holes are for a vintage ashtray bridge. You can use a modern bridge, but don't drill your holes for it until you have the pickup cavity done as the mounting holes may be different than the ashtray one. You may want to check out some of the challenge builds and high profile builds that are in the forum that are complete to get a feel for where people have problems. The challenge build threads are in a sticky on the main page. Photobucket pix may or may mess with the usefulness of them. Obviously the current brotherhood build contains similar things, but those may not be where you need them.

jvin248 likes this.
  4. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

Good luck with your build!

5. Dpalms

Dpalms TDPRI Member

Thank you. I'm in way over my head on this I think. But I've already learned alot from this site. I think with time and patience I will be able to do this.

6. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Sage advice from guitarbuilder. Make sure you have all your parts in hand (bridge in particular) before you drill any holes! Good luck, and keep us posted.

7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck! Keep the pictures coming.

8. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Best of Luck on your build Darryl :)!

9. Dpalms

Dpalms TDPRI Member

i ordered my bridge the other day but wont be here for a while, i was planning on getting the body glued tonight and hopefully cut out and body cavities done this week end, should i wait for bridge for this, or just wait before drilling string holes?

10. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

I would wait until you have the bridge before doing the rout for that pup. And definitely wait for drilling string holes! But maybe check with some other build threads that have used the T Downs template to gather more information. I’ve never used it, so can’t comment.

You should be able to do neck, neck pup and control cavity routs Ok. Have you got your chosen pg yet?

11. Dpalms

Dpalms TDPRI Member

Assuming pg is pick guard, I'm gonna go with this style Bakelite_Pickguard_for_Tele_and_Esquire.jpg
    I can't really order much right now in Canada, alot of business are shut down.
    I saw some on Amazon but don't know if they are any good or if they fit nicely. Also not really sure which one to get.

I'm wanting to make a standard telecaster for my first build. If anyone can point me in the direction of the right parts I need that would be great. Thanks

12. Dpalms

Dpalms TDPRI Member

I tried to get a nice glue joint last night with a flat board and sand paper. But didn't get as nice as I wanted. I saw some videos on you tube about making a table saw jointer jig, has anyone tried this? , I was thinking of trying it tonight 20200407_194447.jpg

13. guitarbuilder

buy a Wilkinson or fender one on ebay

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=372798879055

14. Dpalms

Dpalms TDPRI Member

Ive read that Wilkinson parts are pretty good, is this true for most parts that I will need? I ordered a musiclily modern bridge that hasn't shipped yet, but thinking about canceling and ordering the Wilkinson ashtray.

15. guitarbuilder

Obviously a jointer would be better than most work arounds. Do you know anybody with one...maybe a cabinet shop? Folks around here like the wilkinsons. I'd just buy a fender one and add some saddles of your choice.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=372767505479

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=193205005973

In Canada, I know nothing about them.

https://www.solomusicgear.com/brands/wilkinson/

https://cosmomusic.ca/bridge-fender-099-0806-100-vintage-3-saddle-tele-chrome.html

https://www.long-mcquade.com/94382/...-Vintage-Style-Telecaster-Bridge-Assembly.htm

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  16. Dpalms

Dpalms TDPRI Member

Nobody I know has a jointer, and all the cabinet shops are closed at least until may 4 as they are non essential business.

17. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

You can get a decent glue joint with a table saw, if you really get picky about setting up the table saw, control the feed very well, etc. That's how I prepped boards for small table tops before I bought my Stanley #7 elbow grease jointer.

jvin248 and gregulator450 like this.
  18. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

My humble opinion is to not drill or route any body cavity or bridge holes until you have done the neck tenon and fitted the neck. Use the sides of the neck to establish the center line on your body - it might not line up with the actual seam. Having the neck in the pocket will also establish the scale length - with that, the true center line and your bridge you can locate and drill the holes.

I don't own a jointer. I plane the mating surfaces, then sand against a carpenters level with sticky back sandpaper on it.

wrvond likes this.
  19. Dpalms

Dpalms TDPRI Member

Pardon my ignorance but what's a neck tenon?

20. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Friend of Leo's

Its the part of the neck that sits in the pocket of the body. My point was, fit the neck before you do anything else. Here the neck is snugly in its pocket and I'm establishing the location of the bridge. The straightedge is pushed up against the nut to establish the scale

IMG_4688.JPG

This might be helpful to you

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/building-for-playability.991659/

And I always recommend a first time builder get a copy of Melvyn Hiscock's book on building an electric guitar

John Nicholas, wrvond and Jim_in_PA like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.