1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dark Terror through Fender Deluxe 85.

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Julen, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Julen

Julen TDPRI Member

Hi! A guy from my town is selling a Fender Deluxe 85 for 150 bucks. I was looking for a dark terror, and I'm wondering if it's possible to use that little amp through the speaker of the Fender combo. That could give me the opportunity to use the clean channel of the Fender (that i've heard it is pretty decent) and use the micro dark for more high gain stuff.
    Anyway, I'm not really sure if the Orange Micro Terror could sound ok on that speaker (8 ohm Fender Special Design), and I'm not completely sure if the speaker can be used with another amp.

I've found the owner's manual of the Fender amp: https://medias.audiofanzine.com/files/fender-deluxe-85-owner-s-manual-471703.pdf
    You could see some pics of the Fender amp on this reverb ad: https://reverb.com/es/item/6399043-fender-deluxe-85-red-knobs-1990-black

Thank you all!!!!!
    PS: Sorry if I've made any mistakes, English isn't my native language.

2. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

You can unplug the speaker wires from the amp and then use a different set of wires to hook up the Dark Terror to the speaker in the Fender. Something like this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...faston-speaker-cable?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP
    (That one's kind of expensive... I think there are cheaper ones out there or I've heard you can make your own out of lamp cord.)

This essentially turns the Fender amp into a 1x12 cab loaded with an 8ohm speaker. You can't use the Fender amp without a speaker though...

You can also modify the Fender to have a "speaker input" plug if you drill a hole in the chassis, mount a 1/4" TRS phono jack (be sure to isolate it from the metal chassis!) and reconnect the wires from the amp to the phono jack. Then you can disconnect the speaker from the Fender more easily.

Do you want the ability to use the Fender amp as a clean channel and then switch to the Dark Terror for the drive channel? If that's the case, I would get a second cab to use with the DT and then an ABY selector to switch between the two.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ABY

Your English sounds fine to me! :)

3. Julen

Julen TDPRI Member

I couldn't use the same speaker for both amps?
    Thank you, that was a really helpful and detailed response!

4. SolidSteak

5. Julen

Julen TDPRI Member

I thougt I could do that with an ABY selector. That Headbone selector goes out of my budget. I may bought it and use the micro dark and the Fender amp as spare amps. Thanks for your response!!!

6. SolidSteak

Yeah, the Headbone does look very expensive indeed! Unfortunately an ABY selector only works to switch between amps that have their own speakers plugged into them... if you are switching amp heads that share a speaker, then the amp that is not selected will have no load on it, which is a big no-no usually. I think that's why the Headbone head switcher is so expensive - it probably has to somehow compensate for an amp having no load on it while the other one uses the speaker.

If your main goal is to have 2 amps, one for clean and one for dirt, instead of a head switcher like the Headbone it would probably be cheaper to get the Fender, an ABY switcher (like $40 Euro I think) and a cheap 1x12 cab for the Dark Terror. That's a lot of gear to carry though...

Julen likes this.
  7. Julen

Julen TDPRI Member

Nice! Any cab recommendation???

8. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

9. Julen

Julen TDPRI Member

Thx!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.