Darjeeling and cheddar? Post yer horrible real-life taste combinations here

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
my wife came home with some cookies a while ago: real fancy-pants sweets like they do in Japan*

Langue de chat: super-thin but light and crispy cookie wafers, only these were SPECIAL: 2 cookie wafers with darjeeling tea flavor. I don't really like tea-flavored stuff (including, um, tea actually), but the thing that knocked it out of the park--and beyond the pale--was that in between the tea-infused wafers was a little white-chocolate square...flavored with cheddar cheese. 🤢

As a Dyed In The Wool Cookie Person, I gave these a chance, by which I mean I ate three of em. It was not easy. But now I can say with confidence that, while they weren't the worst-tasting things I have ever eaten (I live in Japan, as I have said), they were weird and horrible. I think it is safe to say that it was the worst taste combination I have yet experienced in a cookie/pastry/snack. Honestly, what twisted mind would even THINK of that? Is tea and cheese a thing?? Who wants that?

So here's the question: what is the worst combination of flavors (neither one necessarily horrible by themselves) that you have personally experienced (and not by accident!)?

*CULTURAL POINT: For those who may not know, Japan has an extremely highly-developed fancy souvenir cookie/pastry industry, driven largely by the cultural requirement of bringing back omiyage (souvenir snacks) for family members, friends and co-workers from basically any trip to somewhere more than say 25km away, especially if you missed work for it or went on vacation. Rice crackers are also an acceptable substitute, and come in 8 million different forms. The main requirements are that they are individually packaged and packed into a fancy (preferably metal) painted box (ideally with the image of the mascot of the city/theme park/onsen/ramen factory/etc. that you visited). This is so important that airports will stock items from many different cities in case you forgot until you landed back home, so if you got back to Osaka without buying something, you can pick up some famous TOKYO BANANA cakes right there in the Osaka airport, and nobody will be the wiser. In fact, there are actually catalogues, paper and on-line, where you can order your omiyage before you even GO (heck you can even just plain stay home). If you ever travel to the US with a large group of Japanese tourists, please plan to spend 45 minutes at the duty-free shops in the departure area while they stock up on Ghirardelli squares and Pepperidge Farm cookies. But I digress...

tanplastic

Friend of Leo's
Cool topic, sorry I've got nothing to offer but:
g3RsG9K.jpg

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Worse thing I ever tasted was Hawaiian Poy that had gone bad.... and I didn't know it, before I took a spoonful and put it in my mouth.... that was 30+ years ago and to this day, the thought of it makes me wanna ralph! LOL!!! 🤢
🤮

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
a cup of tea and a cheese sandwich in a condensed form....... English umami...;)

you think they should have had a good Stilton in there instead of the cheddar...with an earl grey biscuit?

Digital Larry

Friend of Leo's
I've discovered that a mixture of kidney beans and pureed broccoli, left in a tupperware container in the back of the fridge for 3 weeks undisturbed, makes a really good MacGuyver-type WMD. I keep road flares handy as an air freshener just in case.

Last time I was in Tokyo, I stayed in Shibuya and went to the Don Quijote shop which has a whole floor or two dedicated to chocolates and snacks. I got both green tea and sake flavored Kit Kats. Green tea ones are great, sake not so much.

Last edited:

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
A bite of a limburger, thick slice of red onion on rye bread sandwich. The real old timers love it but holy cow!

Jupiter

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Toothpaste and orange juice!
I know that ain’t great, but personally I feel that one’s a bit overblown.
From the country that brought you NATTO… a new taste sensation!
That’s actually a really OLD taste sensation…
A bite of a limburger, thick slice of red onion on rye bread sandwich. The real old timers love it but holy cow!
Something tells me it’s not the combination that makes that one tough; I do imagine that the onion and rye would actually help…

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
Garlic and chocolate are not great together.

As for unlikely combos that work, I've got a zucchini casserole recipe with cheddar, parmesan, bay leaves and cloves. Unexpectedly delicious.

Teletubbie

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
Ham and Jaffa Cake sandwich.
Don't know what I was thinking but I re-thunk it pretty damn quick.

Also fish finger omelette, just unpleasant. When all you have in the kitchen are eggs and fish fingers, options are limited.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I like chocolate sandwiches. Fresh white bread, high cocoa dark chocolate = heaven.
I like cheese cobs/cheese bread. with high cocoa chocolate = heaven. Mocketh not lest ye be mocked yourself.
Neopolitan ice cream or chocolate ice cream in a fresh, dense, white bread cob is way better than you're imagining. Don't cheap out on either, and food heaven awaits.
Plain chocolate Hob-Nob biscuits in bread, as above. Nom.

Do not, under any circumstances, no matter how drunk you are, be susceptible to food dares where the food dare is a Neopolitan, Hob-Nob and brown sauce sandwich.
Brown sauce sandwiches have played a part in my impoverished past, and very nice they are too. Brown sauce and ice cream in a sandwich does not auger well for stomachular containment.
Onion bread and strawberry jam don't play nicely with nausea either. Trust me on this.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Well, there is the corn and potato pizza. Not so much a taste abomination, as just a plain offence to my sensibilities.

Oh, cos I’m talking out loud about this, my daughter just reminded me she puts mozzarella in her miso soup. Right now, in my right ear, she whispered “It’s soooo yummy.”

Pax/
Dean