1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dare I Reopen the Great K-Pop Debate?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flip G, Feb 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

"Reopen" the great K pop debate?!? I thought last time the consensus was that it was awesome.

Flip G likes this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I just watched "My Mister" on NetFlix. Rather different than what you are watching. I have a major IU crush.

[​IMG]

Flip G likes this.
  3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I used to eat K-Pop while watching Saturday morning cartoons, - wait, that's Corn Pops..wait, Corn Pop was a bad guy? Nevermind.

4. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

my knowledge of K Pop is pretty slim* but Sleaford Mods come under my radar from time to time and it’s like they have been put on this earth purely to annoy me.
    I used to commute by bus and teenagers would be playing music on their smart phones to each other. The tinny, out of sync harsh beats from a dozen smart phones was my daily hell. Sleaford Mods have made a career out of that sound.

* it just seems to be ubiquitous modern RnB that happens to be sung in Korean

41144 likes this.
  5. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

those asian folks are wacky.

srblue5 and Flip G like this.
  6. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

Thanks so much! I will check this one out later today. I love IU's songs "Twenty-Three" and "Palette".

[​IMG]

7. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

There is an otherness to K-Pop that I find intriguing. However, the whole spectacle that it presents reminds me of a parade. I've never been a fan of parades. K-Pop, in many ways, comes off to me as a celebration of conformity. That's a turn-off for me in the age of surveillance. I'm not crazy about a lot of the false rebelliousness in pop music, but at least it keeps the notion of change alive. Anyway, that's just my my visceral reaction to K-Pop. There might be a lot about it that I'm missing.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Flip G likes this.
  8. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Just went back and listened to that one; I see what you mean and it does have some nice voicings and harmony. Interesting approach.

loopfinding and Flip G like this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

You might like the Japanese group (Not really J-Pop) BiSH and their lead singer Aina The End more.

Flip G and Toast like this.
  10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

So if you ingest salmonella from handling your pet white snake, is that what your vision looks like? Sort of an out-of-focus thermal imaging? That could be...fun.

Those two did seem less big shiny parade-ish, both in sonics and visuals.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Flip G likes this.
  11. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

Thanks again, @BigDaddyLH. I watched the first half-hour of Mr. Mister with lunch today. That opening scene with the insect was hilarious, as was the power struggle between the board members being seen in split-screen as their ID tags flipping around on a Go board. And then that middle-aged man at the bar portraying his life as a horror movie, and a screen appearing over the back of the bar, his woeful tale unfolding in flickering images. I very much look forward to the villains receiving their comeuppance, too: that wife, that loan shark, and that hospice nurse. Great stuff!

I just wish Netflix would translate the song lyrics. I bet that song that played over that scene of our heroes heading home on the subway ... well, I bet the words to it were the pinnacle of dearth and despair. :cry:

12. BigDaddyLH

I was impressed by how much booze was constantly being drunk. Then I saw this :eek: You know you are going at it hard when a Russian tells you to slow down!

[​IMG]

Flip G likes this.
  13. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Meh.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.