Dano Pro

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Dyloh, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

Hey sorry to bother guys, I've been looking at building my first guitar for awhile now and came across the Dano Pros.

They seem to be pretty beginner friendly being made from cheaper components and not particularly a tough body shape to route, just having trouble finding a template or plans on the internet and was hoping someone on here might have some stashed away somewhere.

I started some templates using "Guitarnuts" guide but feel as though I might be in over my head trying to recreate my own guitar templates before ever having a crack at actually recreating a tried and tested model. Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

2. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

Fist off, welcome to Tdpri!

The Dano Pro is a great first guitar project. I don't think I've seen a PDF template anywhere, but I can make you one on my CAD software if you want.

Just to be sure, are you looking at making it the original 3/4 (21") scale or the re-issue version with a 25" scale?

On a side note, although the original Danos were made with masonite tops & bottoms, a few members here built their Dano-style guitars using MDF with good results. Masonite isn't as easy to come by as it used to be and it is an absolute pain to work, especially when it comes to finishing.

Dyloh likes this.
  3. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

Well as I didn't think I would be up to making a neck from scratch as of yet, I thought I'd buy a neck but I'm guessing a 25" neck isn't as easy to come by as a 25.5"? I guess I didn't really think of that when I was asking around for a template. I was actually looking forward to using Masonite but I did read somewhere it's not fun to route with if I remember correctly? Thank you so much for taking your time to lend a hand.

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Some stuff to start you out with. I have only made 1 guitar body with Masonite / hardboard . Although it is hard because of the composition, it's not hard to rout. You may want to look for a paddlehead neck. This one is a Fender scale, but it will work just fine if you place the bridge in the right spot which would be about 6 mm farther back than a 25" scale. There are plenty of bridge location help threads in this forum too.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Electri...m4aedded3b8:g:kV4AAOSwealaYtNL&frcectupt=true

I've never seen a Dano Pro drawing but there's this:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52188

Here's a Dano I did last year. The peghead angle is 6 degrees...not 3 degrees like I measured on my messed up one which was warped.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/silve...tro-influenced-low-budget-lo-fi-build.925611/

This build is dano like contruction on the body with wood instead of masonite.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/1959-mechanix-illustrated-electric-guitar-build.610424/

And here's a website with a pro peghead drawing:

https://www.gitarrebassbau.de/viewtopic.php?t=6

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    DonM, Dyloh and crazydave911 like this.
  5. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

Thanks alot guys I appreciate that you guys have taken you time to help I beginner like myself. Hopefully between all this information I'll be able to get started.

6. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

I once built a P bass, my first off a template of the full sized body, a short scale. Was very nice, I look forward to this

Dave

7. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

Hey sorry to bother again guys but is anyone able to point out what ive done wrong here? I had the pickup measurements and used that to resize the body. I then made a straight line 25.5" scale with the half way point marked so I can line the 12th fret up with it and placed a bridge template at the end. As you can see the neck would have to sit half way through the body and the bridge be pretty much right at the bottom. Should I have to scale the body to accommodate a 25.5" neck this much?

Attached Files:

8. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Short answer no, the latter model is a 25" scale, only a half inch shorter. You either used the old original body or resized it wrong, sorry

Dave

9. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

Yeah Dave I put my pickup template on my centre line then resized the body around the pickup cavity I'm guessing that's where I went wrong?

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. guitarbuilder

You have the bridge too close to the back edge. The dano pro images show it toward the neck a few more inches. You probably want a 14 fret neck to body joint and not 12 like you have now. A half inch of scale on a body wouldn't impact the body size that much.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

Hey yeah I guess I've done something backwards, I put the bridge at the end of the scale length measurement I had thinking if I got the bridge and pickups correct I would be able to resize the body to match but yeah obviously didn't work out. I apologize for consistently asking questions, hopefully if I get this right I'll be able to post em to repay you fellas something.

12. guitarbuilder

The problem isn't the bridge so much but where you have the neck joining the body. You want the 14th fret at that point. The bridge will then move up with it.

13. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

I think I got it? As soon as I did a 14 fret body join everything pretty much fit perfectly. You fellas know your stuff.

Attached Files:

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have one of those. Cool guitar but not very good access above the 12th fret.

2015-04-10 00.02.37.jpg

15. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

Ah how lucky! Would you mind if I troubled you for a measurement of the body thickness? As far as I know the top and back are 10mm and I think the vinyl tape is 31mm in width but that's where I get lost. Not sure how much the tape covers the joins.

16. Mike Simpson

The body is 1.75" thick and the vinyl band around the outside is 1.25" thick. Sorry my dial caliper is in inches... Merica!

It's a pretty nice guitar except for less upper fret access than a Tele. The neck is a little thin for me but it is well made and plays good. I just play it around the house, I think I paid $175 for it used.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    Barncaster and crazydave911 like this.
  17. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

Mike your a bloody champion mate thank you very much.

I looked for awhile to find a Dano RI but seem to pretty rare in Australia and from Reverb I was looking at a couple of hundred just in shipping so I’ve opted to learn to make my own.

With the fret access I’m not good enough to be banging around in deep end of the fretboard so this might be perfect for me.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. Mike Simpson

If you need for me to check anything else let me know.

Dyloh likes this.
  19. Dyloh

Dyloh TDPRI Member

Is it ok if any of you more experienced fellas possibly check out this pdf to see if im going to run into any problems? This is a rough drawing of the inside of the Dano that I got from another pic and tried to change it so it would fit a 25.5" scale neck.

Im not real sure how the neck pocket is gonna work if at all and possibly what's the dealio with the inside? I can only seem find pics of bodies without pickguards but not any of them open.

Are they completely hollow with the neck pocket and pickups but the top having the channel for the wiring?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  20. guitarbuilder

If it were me making this, I'd add more wood to the sides of the neck cavity and extend the area under the bridge up more to add more support. If you look at a Fender thinline, the center section is wider from neck to back. You can make this any way you want though.

thinline.png

This link has a peak at the insides of one model which may be the Convertible. It was an acoustic electric one. I have seen them with dished/ caved in tops because there isn't anything to really support the bridge pressure.

http://www.fatdawg.com/project.html

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Barncaster and Jim_in_PA like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.